Uno4Kemper Help

• Well hello again,
    before my questions , I just want to make clear that I'm always searching for answers here, but since that there are too many results (or that I'm crappy searcher), I'm prefer to ask directly.
    So, I think I decided to go withe the UNO4KEMPER , because I understand that , for now, is the most suitable midi controller (and cheap) for the kemper.

1. What are the advantages of this chip and what are the disadvantages?
    2. I know that the default for the EXP pedals are WAH and VOL - can I set for specific rigs that one of the pedals will control the gain amount/delays/reverb ?
    Or maybe I need an external EXP pedal for that purpose? (btw.... the gain amount can be control with the EXP pedals?

Thanks for the help :) ,

Mickey

• Advantages:
    - Works as soon as you install the chip, no fiddling around to set it up.
    - Two-way communication with the Kemper, so the stomp buttons will light up to match the stomps you have active, and the patch number display works like a tuning pedal when you're in Tuner mode.

Disadvantages:
    - You're stuck with only a couple of different options for configuring the board, whereas the stock FCB (or the plain Uno chip) will let you do anything under the sun.
    - The FCB's expression pedals aren't the greatest. They work alright, but they feel cheap.

As for #2, sadly no. You're stuck with those two. I don't think an external pedal can control the other settings, like gain or delay mix, but you could do it with another MIDI board. If it helps, the Volume pedal can be set before the amp, which will make it act like turning your guitar's knob down for cleaning up the sound.

• Am I correct in saying that it can only be either or, a Wah pedal or a Pitch Shift pedal, not both...in other words, it can't be assigned to do Pitch Shifting on a particular Rig and Wah on another Rig?

No, it's not either/or.
    When you select 'pitch to wah' it controls whatever is active/on in a rig.
    If you have a wah active in one slot it will be controlled by the wah pedal, if you have a pedal pitch active it will also be controlled by the wah pedal. If you have both active they will be controlled both (although this is impossible in the 'real' world.
    So have one rig with a wah active and another with pedal pitch. They both will be controlled by one pedal.
    A great and really nifty feature.

• thank you all :)

I'm still little bit confused - I didn't understand if I can control the gain amount? I think it's a basic feature for EXP pedal (don't want similar options like the "Wah Pedal Booster" :) )

I saw some EXP pedal that created for the KPA:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EP1KPGN/

but as far as I see , it controls wah and the volume.

btw, I know that the FCB1010 is the cheapest midi controller , but I read on the UNO4KEMPER manual that in "browser mode" , I can choose only 125 rigs to play.
    I know it's a lot , but what about the rest of the rigs ? and which ones he brings to the FCB1010 ?

(page 10)

http://www.uno4kemper.com/UnOforKemper_manual.pdf

ahhhh..... I'm confused :/

edit:
    ok, just bumped into this (from wiki) :

In the Profiler there are a number of parameters/fx which can be controlled through an expression pedal.

This is the complete list:

Volume

Gain

Wah

Delay mix

Delay Feedback

Reverb mix

Reverb feedback

Rate reducer

Ring modulator

Frequency shifter

Distortion

Vowel filter

but how it can be done with the FCB1010 + UNO4KEMPER or external EXP pedal ?

Edited 2 times, last by yakim1 ().

• if you connect an exp pedal directly to the KPA, you should be able to go into the System menu and assign it to control Gain.

UNO4KEMPER is basically a pre-dialed in group of settings. I'm not sure it's possible to reassign the exp pedal on the FCB1010 to another control when using it. But I'm 99% sure it can be done without that chip; but you have to program it all in. Again, see the wiki link provided.

For browser mode and selecting rigs, the UNO4KEMPER FCB1010 only has 125 PC sends it can do, it sounds like. You can select while in Browser mode in the KPA which PC # you can use for the MIDI controller to change to it. I think you can also do this in Performance mode. But in general, browser mode isn't designed, so that you can footswitch through rigs. Really that's why Performance mode was created, but it still assumes you're not going to need to footswitch through > 125 rigs.

• There is a way to go thru each rig according to the deep manual for the KPA. I think that is what this is saying.
    I don't understand what the "double switch" is, but see below:

Double Switches
    The “Double Switch” selection is special: it can take a double or stereo switch from a single TRS jack, so
    the other jack is still free to use an expression pedal, or even another stereo switch.
    The default assignment for “Double Switch” is Rig Up/Down. In BROWSE MODE you can step through the rigs according to the selected view and sorting. In PERFORMANCE MODE you can step through Slots and Performances, while disabled Slots will be automatically skipped. In PROFILER MODE, it switches between Kemper Amp and Reference Amp, and in the Store Menu, it will navigate the cursor to the left or right.
    Alternatively, you can select other functions for the “Double Switch”, like switching Stomp X and MOD on and off, for example.

Here is the link , http://www.kemper-amps.com/api…e%20Manual%20in%20English

see page 28 , but also interesting info on pedals starting on pg 25

• if you connect an exp pedal directly to the KPA, you should be able to go into the System menu and assign it to control Gain.

Expression pedals connected directly to the Kemper can only be set to Volume, Wah, Pitch, and Monitor Volume. A MIDI expression pedal, like on a stock FCB, can be set to send any parameter you choose, which is what that list from Wiki is for.

However, you could set a Volume pedal's location to either Pre-Stomps or Post-Stomps, and it would adjust the gain just like turning down your guitar's volume knob.

• well , I'm coming to the KPA world , after 6 years of owning (and loving) my Boss GT-8 which I learned how to control so many parameters (called "assigns" on th GT) with only one footswitch or EXP pedals.
    I thought that "if Boss did it , probably a unit like the KPA must have it" - I know I'm really new and it's natural to learn the KPA with the time , but I think that controlling the gain is something that shouled be really easy to configure . right?

basically I want to control - vol,wah, whammy (although I have the Digitech whammy DT) , gain , delays , reverb and it could be nice to control amount of some other FX such as chorus , flanger . Am I too greedy ? :P

• You're clearly to greedy...;)
    I'm only joking!
    More control over more parameters has been asked for for a long time.
    CK OTOH doesn't want to make it too complicated and is reluctant to open up more CC's for control.
    So keep on asking for features.:)
    For something like gain control it is worthwhile to get accustomed to the way Kemper does it, in this case using the wah pedal control.

• yakim1

Sorry if I thru in that "double switch" paragraph and hijacked the thread a little. I was only trying to state that there is a way with just a double switch , via a stereo cable connected to the pedal jack on the KPA , to toggle up and down thru the presets... I didn't know this till I read it the other day... Nothing really to do with what you were specifically asking.... :whistling:

Now on to your situation....
    From what I understand, you can control the gain and anything else with the standard FCB 1010 , but it is not easy to program from the pedal itself, , and much easier using an editor .... There are free editors and pay editors, So many people have gotten editors to do this..... This is not using the uno4kemper, just the standard EPROM it comes with.

However, I bought the Eureka prom2 for kemper ( it actually is one chip that can be used with the Axefx , 11r , KPA, etc ) ,,, anyway, it has Multiple modes , and one of them is you can assign any effect, stomp, gain etc, to the on board wah pedal, with one tap of the FOOTSWITCH. .

No programming needed , it comes ready to use. What I am not sure of, is can you assign the on board pedal to multiple stomps and effects at the same time ? . I need to look into that , but I don't need it really, just curious.

You may want to check out eurekasound.com if this sounds like something closer to what you need.

• I think, the discussion is missing an important point.

Here are the continuous controllers that currently can be controlled via MIDI control change (Reference Manual 2.2):

#1 Wah Pedal
    #4 Pitch Pedal
    #7 Volume Pedal
    #68 Delay Mix
    #69 Delay Feedback
    #70 Reverb Mix
    #71 Reverb Time
    #72 Gain
    #73 Monitor Volume

If you chose a standard off-the-shelf Behringer FCB1010 you can assign each of these control changes to any of the two built in pedals and store this by patch. So this way you can load rig A with pedal control of Gain and Wah, and then load rig B with pedal control of Monitor Volume and Delay Mix, if that makes sense for you.

Here comes the 'BUT': The FCB1010 can only memorize 100 patches! Therefor you can only configure 100 of such rig/switch/pedal combinations called a patch. But the Profiler can keep up to 625 rigs in his Performance Mode. I'm actually not aware of any universal footcontroller, which is able to memorize more than 384 patches (like for example the RJM Mastermind GT).

In order to overcome this patch-limitation UnO4Kemper completely tears down any patch logic. All switch and pedal assignments are global. No patches at all need to be configured and maintained. And you don't need to remember, which function the pedals have in combination with which rig. Consequently it is able to easily load all 625 slots in Performance Mode.

The Profiler is exceeding the capabilities of any foot-controller available in the market. And the user needs to decide, if she/he wants to use pedals flexibly and by rig, then she/he is stuck with foot-controller patch logic and its memory limitations. UnO4Kemper keeps configuration at a minimum and you can reach 625 different sounds instead. One pedal is permanently assigned to Volume, the other to Wah. The Profiler has anyhow a switch, which allows to intelligently leverage the Wah pedal to control Pitch as well. Practically the Wah pedal controls Wah or Pitch depending on what's activated in your current rig.

The question is also, if you really need to control Delay Mix as a continuous controller or could just store multiple versions of the same rig with a variation of Delay Mix. 625 slots leave plenty of space. But if you don't need more than 100 sounds, you can just go with the standard FCB1010 and leverage flexible pedal assignments.

Just to close on MIDI, if you are familiar with NRPN you can even remotely control nearly every controller within the Profiler with 14bit resolution.

Alternatively you can connect up to two expression pedals directly to the Profiler and chose from Volume, Wah, Pitch, and Monitor Volume, which doesn't really help in your case.