Powerage era ACDC tones.. Possible with kemper?

• I'm seriously considering selling up my Marshall gear in favour of the kemper but before I do would dearly love to hear some clips, as dry as possible of some Master lead type sounds played with an SG or even a LP on bridge pickup.

The tones I love are those of the Powerage era and whilst quite different in production styles the Highway to Hell and Let There be rock albums; a dimed clean channel which is very dynamic to touch and warm and saturated without the fizzyness around 6-7khz or artificial artefacts that modellers produce (regardless of EQing). I just want to be sure the Kemper has the degree of attack and tubeness of the real thing. My other battle with modellers or the various power soaks Ive owned ovber the years is not gives that good tight bottom end without introducing a good dollop of mud at the same time.

I have tried most all of the commercial modellers and as mentioned various power soaks but none nail it for me and unfortunately as a home recordist volume is the enemy. I dearly want the kemper to be the answer to the years of disappointment in my home recording exploits and whilst I accept the kemper is unlikely to be plug'n play solution I'd feel much happier opening my wallet with the knowledge that in time I can find what I'm searching for.

Also whilst in the ACDC mode of things my playing buddy has a Firebird and is just as curious about the kempers ability to get close to Malcom Youngs sound. Again any clips with that unit or similar would be appreciated

• Marshall amps are a pretty well served territory on the Kemper Profiler. Lots of them available for free ot commercialy. I can't see reason to have custom made profiles done for a fortune. One thing you really should understand ... Profiler rigs aren't tweaked models, they are spot-on profiles of the mic'ed amp/cab. This alone makes it VERY different to anything you can get from modellers. The most complete collection of Marshall amps and cabs profiles can be found at TheAmpFactory (Ultimate Toolkit Pack1). And if that's still not enough, you will find a lot more Marshall Packs in their Amp Packs or at Soundside or on the Rig Exchange. Only thing I can tell you: Be ready to spend a few extra bucks on good profiles. Don't expect the best of the best right out of the Profiler box.

Regarding your request for totally dry clips ... I doubt you would like them cause they have to sit in the mix and thus might sound strange when listened dry. Nobody has the very same guitars or fingers or monitoring that you have. You will have to try on your own. And my personal guess: It's not to hard to get exactly what you're looking for. AC DC's guitar sound isn't complex enough to overburden the Profiler's capabilities. ;)

Cheers,
    Martin

• in addition to the things said above:

if you can create the tone with a miked amp, then yes - no problem.

the question is not if the profiler can create this kind of tone (it has no signature sound = it is basically 'neutral' so to speak),
    the question is: can you create an enviroment where the various puzzle pieces (amp, cab, mic, possibly eq) fit together to create this kind of sound so it can be profiled.

all the available Marshall tones will probably get there 90% of the way pretty quickly, but profiling an amp yourself is a highly rewarding experience.

;)

• Hi !

I tried to approach Malcom's tone while profiling my JTM30 Marshall combo , but I was aiming at Ballbreaker's tone, so mine is not dirty enough for you.

here is the clip

I also have a thread about this great little amp

You should try this one with the dirty cabs from latest VSP rick pack And Orakkeli's one also.

• Thanks guys. I'll be sure to check out the clips when I get back home.

I find the hardest thing of all, even when I get the chance to mic my own amps, is understanding what is good tone when heard isolated from the live room?

I don't have many amps but they are all quite different, Orange Tiny terror, JMP1 pre with EL34 50/50 and a THD Univalve. Even the THD running lower rated power tubes is difficult to contain in a home setting and as for the Marshall well I think I would probably die if I dimed the power amp section for full saturation. As a result I have very limited experience and therefore reference of what makes for a good printed dry track, and that's even before the room mic(s) option is added into the mix.

I do have various mics including a nice Golden Age ribbon (who also make a very nice 1073 clone BTW) and have tried various single and mixed micing techniques but with limited success. I think I can safely conclude it's my cabiney micing technique that blows, as well as the inability to get to a volume where all the gear is operating in the sweet spot. I suspect if I had the money to hire an engineer and a studio for a couple of days some of these basics would be demystified and I could get that reference so clearly needed, sadly that won't be happening any time soon.

It may from my original post appear my interests in KPA revolve purely around emulating a single sound. That's partly it but my interest in that earlyish AC/DC sound is for me always a reference by which I can judge my earlier recording attempts. Truth is I'm probably more likley to be listening to T-bone Walker, Muddy Waters or Robert cray than AC these days but I think it fair to say all studio example of these artists allow you to hear an organic naked sound with few variables, player, guitar, amp, room and that’s the way I like it.

Aware that I am going to face the same challenge making my own profiles I am going to be in the hands of those more talented or employed to provide any profile I use beyond the factory ones. If those profiles can give me that solid base with which to then try and create the performance space from the convolution IR packs I own then I'll be very happy. I am pretty much rambling now but I suspect my experience resonates with many readers who have at times become quite despondent about something which, for me a least, was meant to be an enjoyable hobbie.

Thanks for all the input

• With joptunes 67 JTM 50 profiles you can dial in the old school tone. That amp has the KT 66's and his profiles are some of the best.
    If I had recording gear I,d do it w my 64 standard, but I can,t.
    Do you have an early Marshall ? If so and if you,re still young, you may want to hang onto it, not just for gigs but as an investment.
    If it,s not collectable and if you don,t have anywhere to crank it then get the Kemper...or just get the Kemper, then decide.

• Thanks for all the responses guys.

In the clips I am definitely hearing real amp tone not a moddled amp which is very encouraging. It would be even better to get some completely dry clips that I could drop into my DAW and fiddle around with.

Old Crow, I doubt you would call the JMP1 pre or EL34 50/50 collectible, still it would be nice to profile before I move it on.

All the reading I have done on this forum and elsewhere has pursuaded me that the KPA is the real deal and should be a worthy purchase. Its also very good to know KPA has a vibrant and helpful community of owners willing to pitch in with their help and advice.

• http://www.acys-lounge.de/tl_f…ideos/powerage_kpa_01.mov

Get some Marshall rig, reduce gain, work on eq settings, then check out cab settings and (second most important thing) adjust the high and low shift settings (giving you that dirty old tone, very crazy sounding) , then work on some amp settings (tube shape, bias ...) , and always (while you are working on adjustments) play and listen, play and listen .........

....... and most important thing: Play like AC/DC! :D

Guitar should be a right one, lower output pickup, then rock your bitch!

If listening to these old AC/DC guitar sounds isolated, they really sound like shit .......... compared to actual studio guitar sounds. I love that shit!

• this is exactly what I want...but this is not the kemper, right?