KPA - for home use

• I'm going to purchase an unpowered KPA primarily for home use and I could really use some advise on whether studio monitors, PA speakers, or some kind of powered speaker cab would be appropriate here. My goal is to play backing tracks through the KPA and add my guitar into the sound.

I should add that I'm a complete novice when it comes to modelling & home studios having been strictly a tube amp guy for over 30 years now so I'm struggling a bit with all the terminology, options and differences.

John

• I'm going to purchase an unpowered KPA primarily for home use and I could really use some advise on whether studio monitors, PA speakers, or some kind of powered speaker cab would be appropriate here. My goal is to play backing tracks through the KPA and add my guitar into the sound.

I should add that I'm a complete novice when it comes to modelling & home studios having been strictly a tube amp guy for over 30 years now so I'm struggling a bit with all the terminology, options and differences.

John

For home use, go for near field studio monitors. However, i would recommend 8" Woofers. The Behringer 3031 seem to be a good deal...

• I'm in the same boat and have been looking at the new yamaha hs7. I have friends who work in a guitar shop and they all seem to agree that this is the best monitors in the price range and could give the Adams a run for the money. Of course it's all opinion and you should try to hear the monitors before you purchase them. But I'll be getting the yamahas until I can buy the Genelecs ;)

• I use my Kemper only at home, and only low volumes. I have KRK Rokit 5 studio monitors, and it sounds great. I never turn it up loud, though, and when I have it wears on my ears a bit. If you want it to sound good a bit louder, then 8" studio monitors would be best, as the guys above say. I have listened to Mackie BXR8's (I think), and they sounded great, really full ballsy sound. Any of these brands mentioned above will be good for home use, just make sure they are studio monitors (not speakers for general music listening), and buy the size needed for how loud you want to play through them. My 5" monitors sound great with the Kemper - better than any other thing i've ever used with them (various plugins, preamps, multi effects units like the Boss ME-70, etc.). Just super clear and no hiss or weird digital trail-offs of notes, or other annoying stuff like that.

• Another data point for active Studio Monitors. I use Adam A7X-es. As for playing over backing tracks or just playing along with music, I get those from my computer. Both the computer output and the Kemper’s output are joined and mixed (software mixer) in a Saffire USB audio interface. Works very well, there is no noticeable latency and there are lots of other brands.

• I have simple Mackie MR8's and they sound phenomenal.

I even take just one over to my friends and it blows his amp away in tone and volume. So, yes, 8" monitors are a minimum.

I also have Yamaha HS50W with an HS10W sub. Typically I play that sub and the Mackies by themselves. The sub gives the bottom end that an amp does.

This is NOT a cheap solution, nor the best, but it made me feel no regret selling my JCM 900, Vox AC15, Tungsten Crema Wheat and Swart Atomic Space Tone.

Those last two would have been Sophie's Choice for me. But that movie was made before the Kemper!

• I have been fighting with myself wether I should buy Kemper. I had exactly the same scenario in my mind, that is, home playing. Although I've used number of ZOOMs and Line6s, I was really intrigued by tones that can be generated by Kemper. So, using an argument of hitting 30 years old (I had to explain this kind of expense somehow to HER), I've bought it last week. I don't regret so far. It's exceptional piece of equpiment. It has its flaws (for me no USB audio interface, a little bit long startup), but it's really great for home playing. Although it looks like old russian radiostation that can explode any second, it has really user friendly interface. It plays perfectly with my Yamahas HS50 (plus subwoofer). Tone is sometimes breath-taking, sometimes hollow depending on rig of course. Mostly it sounds simply great.

• I think it looks like it's from the set of Star Trek 1967.

If you put a "communicator" on it and posed as Spock, it would be in it's element.

Especially it's profiling sounds.

Yeah, my only gripe is the 45 second boot time.

• Yes, my fiancee strongly suggested to hide or cover itwith something in case we have some guests at home. Although I need to admit it's build like a tank.
    Luckily those 45 seconds are not such problem for home user.

Luckily those 45 seconds are not such problem for home user.

Boot time depends on how many rigs are installed. Mine takes up more than one minute with 1300 rigs :wacko:

OTOH, when you turn your tube amps on, you're not supposed to wait less before tubes are ready...

:)

• If you don't have a mixer or audio interface for mixing the Kemper with backing tracks then the Kemper has a stereo auxiliary input you can plug an iPod/computer audio/CD player into (when using the aux. Input you can't use the KPA's fx loop as they use the same connectors).