2 broken 12" speakers in the same day with powerhead¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡gggggggggggCAUTION

• I think the kemper powerhead at full volume is to much for one speakers.probably the sound peaks damage my two speakers.now i turn the power amp boost to higher settings,and all is ok¡¡¡

??? Did you read the post from CK just 3 posts above yours?

By using Power Amp Boost your speakers are even more in danger - it's just a simple 'power boost' no compression/limiter or whatever involved.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• The NEXT sentence in the manual seems to also be important. If it is accurate, a limiter comes after the Booster, but is not part of it.

"Very loud signals and transients will then be compressed by a nice, organic-sounding soft-clipping circuit."

So, The Power Amp Booster is a simple volume control. But, turn it up, and transients will be compressed by a separate circuit. That's why a setting of +10 can protect a V30 or two.

• Ups - yes, that's the oposite what most uers expect - if Power Amp Boost is used the speaker is even more in danger to be damaged!

Hmm - that is exactly what I would expect and want from a booster first and foremost: a volume increase.

90% of the game is half-mental.

• Hmm - that is exactly what I would expect and want from a booster first and foremost: a volume increase.

Yes, sure - but some users got the impression that the KPA protects the speaker in case this booster is used.

Currently do I understant it - according to the manual - that the monitor output will be send to:
    a) a simple booster (without additional compression/limiter)
    b) a soft clipping compressor (allways on)
    c) the very powerfull 600Watt class D amp (allways max output)

all this can easily blow your 25/50 or even 200Watt guitar speaker.

In case the booster is used - then this can happen even more likely.

So if you use a 4x12 with 200Watt EV speakers - don't worry - if you use a lower power cabinet - do not increase the volume to much.

IMHO would the best solution to get some power settings - say 20/50/100/max Watt.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Edited once, last by Armin ().

• Thanks armin¡i think the boost reduces peaks of sounds.but no,is a other volumen knob(more volume).now i'm using 2x12 thiele mesa cab,and all is ok,but one of my broken speakers was 100watt,and i did'nt put volume very high.thanks all the people of forum,you're the best¡¡¡¡

• I think you should not worry too much.
    We didi many tests at very high volumes, and never broke a speaker.
    We have recently done tests for the 4 Ohm behaviour at insane volumes. Nothing broke.

Up to now we are aware of only a handfull of cases where speaker broke, often even at moderate volumes.
    I must assume that the speaker had a weak point. That happens even with tube amps.

About wattage: High wattage is a shy animal, as it has a quadratic relation to the volume.
    When you turn down the volume by 6 dB, you bring the Watts down to a quarter!

• I have a power head. I have a 2x12 8 ohm 150 W with zero issues. I ran a 1x12 65w 8 ohm, zero issues. Simply stated, I think it is one of two issues with the original poster. A defective power supply or defective wiring of cabinet. Based on what he described it is not normal to blow speakers. There is more to this than a simple blown speaker(s).

• I don't know if it is a problem of my powerhead.two cabinets where different,the power boost was set to zero and the master at aproximattely half.
    One was 100 watt and the other 75 watt.its possible to have bad poweramp¿now i'm running 2x12 cab with zero problems.when the speakers burn,i thank that where powerhead problems...but now i have zero problems.

• Well, with Great Power comes Great Responsibility! ;)

:thumbup:

Again, a 600Watt class D amp can kill a 100Watt speaker - as well as a 100Watt tube amp can kill a 15Watt guitar speaker.

• Again, a 600Watt class D amp can kill a 100Watt speaker - as well as a 100Watt tube amp can kill a 15Watt guitar speaker.

Can we have the secure ratio? How many speaker-Watt do we really need?
    Because, a guitar cab with 600W is not very easy to find (except Marshall full stack ...)
    It would help if we have a orientation table (e.g. power boost 0 db, master 5 = 60W speaker, power boost 3db, master 5 = 120W ...)

I really LOVE to play Kemper Powerhead through guitar speaker, that is how I use it all the time (live additionally Main-out-to-FOH).
    In the last 6 months I have used it with 4x12 (8 Ohm, 300W), 2x12 (8 Ohm and 16 Ohm, 140W), 1x12 (16 Ohm, 60W) with Power Boost at 3-4 db and Master at max. 6 without any problems.

• I read in some thread where a Kemper official said they are planning some kind of power metering or scaling in the software. Don't ask me where I read it but it was in these forums.

• i think the boost reduces peaks of sounds.but no,is a other volumen knob(more volume)

Well, let's see it this way: when cranked, the boost reduces the relative peaks (peak value minus average value) due to the limited nature of any electric device, but not the absolute peak (peak voltage).

• I read in some thread where a Kemper official said they are planning some kind of power metering or scaling in the software. Don't ask me where I read it but it was in these forums.

I can confirm that. As far as I remember CK stated it when somebody had Problems with a powered Kemper and 4 Ohm guitar box.