Perfect cabinet

• Well, as I said it sounded funny :D
    Anyway, some emoticons could help the process of properly transmitting one's mood over the Net ;)

A technical discussion about your observations as a user would take far, and I doubt would be of any interest to many forumates. As I always said, nothing can beat user's experience when it comes to what to buy or to use.
    People, feel free to buy whatever you like, regardless what I keep on writing here or elsewhere :thumbup: But please, don't bash me for what I think :D

• So Lance, tell me, have you tested with the highend solutions discussed above?
    Or only the average available active wedges?
    There is a difference and it should be discussed here.
    While the profiler sounds awesome through a good guitar cab it actually defeats the main purpose to have a complete meticulously crafted signal chain available wherever you play, with consistent results.

Keep in mind, the CLR is unknown to anyone in the world that's not on this forum or TGP...it's only on the internet that people talk about the CLR.

Yes, we've tested most of the other active wedges in music stores down here, top of the range JBL, Mackie, QSC, H&K, RCF PA systems...and even the Alto's (which Pete Turley uses).
    The thing is, I haven't come across a pro guitarist who needs "all" the possible tones available in the Kemper to play live....most of them use 3 or 4 Profiles, starting clean, then crunch, and a lead tone...that's it.
    How many Profiles of different amps do you use live?

Yes, the Kemper offers you the opportunity to have dozens of different tones of different amps, but that doesn't mean you need to use them all 'live'.
    The awesome thing about the Kemper is that each live guitarist has the choice to find his own half a dozen tones/amps/Profiles that he needs to use live.
    Vox and Fender Profiles sound incredible through a Marshall cab with V30's using the Kemper poweramp.
    How many times do you see guitarists plugging all sorts of different amps into a Marshall cabinet.
    Check Ola's Profiles, all sorts of heads into his old Marshall cabinet.
    Same with Till's Profiles, a bunch of different high gain amps all into his Marshall cab.
    So why does everyone think you can't play the Kemper Poweramp into a Marshall cab with V30's in it?...only FRFR will work?...not true.

Keep in mind, we're discussing two different scenarios here, one is the KPA without poweramp and the other is the KPA with poweramp.

• @ Ingolf: fair enough. I never said you have to like the CLRs over anything else. As for the mantra thing it sounds funny, but I'm just expressing my ideas when the subject pops up. I'm not trying to sell the product, nor I endorse it or get paid by AA.
    I can't see why you seem disturbed by me expressing my opinions. I never criticized you when you reported your use experience, which I deeply respect.
    Please smile more, and give me the freedom to write what I think :thumbup:

I'm not sure I'm following you here. A profile is not a tube amp. What we are rather saying is that a mic'ed amp sounds better through a better PA.
    Having said this, I don't doubt for a moment that the Profiler can sound spectacular through a guitar cab. But it's a matter of the use you make of it. If you're interested in reproducing different profiled cabs' sounds, I doubt a single physical guitar cab is versatile enough to faithfully reproduce a 1x8', a 1x12' and a 4x12', not to mention the huge differences which exists among cabs of similar configuration.

Maybe you're missing that the CLR comes as a passive cab as well? :)

Bro, if you go watch a band live, the last thing you want to hear is the guitarists tone changing for every song, one song sounds like a 1x8, the next song like a 1x12, and another song like a 4x12....his tone will be all over the place, one song he'll sit nicely in the mix, the next song he'll disappear in the mix.
    Pro guitarists do not do that when they play live, they get their tone using one cabinet, they make sure they're sitting nicely in the mix and that’s that.

"I'm not sure I'm following you here. A profile is not a tube amp. What
    we are rather saying is that a mic'ed amp sounds better through a better
    PA."

Remember, there are two different kinds of Kempers, one with a Poweramp and one without...you guys seem to be forgetting that. :)
    With the Kemper poweramp a Profile does not have a mic'd cabinet, it's turned OFF...the Kemper poweramp with CAB OFF is just like a tube amp into a speaker cabinet.
    Of course the better the PA the better the tone of a Kemper using Main Outputs, Cab ON.

• Bro, if you go watch a band live, the last thing you want to hear is the guitarists tone changing for every song, one song sounds like a 1x8, the next song like a 1x12, and another song like a 4x12....his tone will be all over the place, one song he'll sit nicely in the mix, the next song he'll disappear in the mix.
    Pro guitarists do not do that when they play live, they get their tone using one cabinet, they make sure they're sitting nicely in the mix and that’s that.

Well, maybe I'm not going to change sound during a concert, but I'm certainly going to play with different people in different situations... and there I do need different sounds. A blues jam is different from a cover night, which is different from my own stuff played in a club. Then I play at home and I may want to sound like this or like that, and for playing Police I'm certainly going to prefer different sounds than the ones I'd use for Deep Purple. Last but not least, I love to get to know the sound of different amps, cabs and mics I've never own. That's why I'm using a Profiler much more than my Lonestar Special nowadays.

Last but not least, why should I base my choices and preferences on what pros do, if I use my gear differently?

Lance, my friend, the more I read you, the less I understand... A profile is a profile, it doesn't depend on what kind of KPA (powered or not) you use. Are you saying that you can't switch cabs on with a powered KPA? 8|
    Of course you're not going to use the poweramp out for an active FRFR, but there are passive FRFR cabs as well. Using a passive KPA with an external (linear) amp and a passive FRFR is exactly the same as using an active KPA with a passive FRFR in terms of it "being like a traditional amp". So the OP doesn't have to pay for two amps, since there are passive CLR available as well :)

• Please: no more "CLR vs. the rest of the world"-discussions, these discussions are useless like iOs vs. Android, Windows vs. OSX ect.

The CLR is a good FRFR-cab for sure, but the Matrix Q12a and Camper 112-CX are good, too, the rest is just subjective. The best is to test cabs by yourself and like Ingo posted we had the chance to test all three cabs with the same Kemper profiles and setups.

My personal favourite is the Q12a, because it's smaller and less heavy, easy to order (in stock) and I don't like waiting-lists. ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• Next up: arguing over which religion has the one true God!

Offer some advice to the OP and move along.

FRFR via measurement is useful but only to a point. People like to bring up equal loudness contours aka Fletcher Munson. Does anyone know where those graphs came from? Do you think they asked 1,000,000 people the same questions and every person answered the questions exactly the same way? Depending on YOUR ears you might like to deviate from measured FRFR.

Price is also meaningless in terms of satisfaction, but for me it was a big consideration. I went with the Alto's. I never tried the rest. I'm very impressed with my single Alto TS112. Probably get another eventually. In the meantime, I'm eating lots of steak.

• For what its worth, i love my KPA with poweramp and mesa 4x12 as well as yamaha dxr. After I read a million reviews of tons of speakers I came to find that all the comparisons were just small potatoes because the amp is just that good. I did have bad luck with a really cheap speaker though.

• because it's smaller and less heavy, easy to order (in stock) and I don't like waiting-lists. ;)

Well, a CLR Neo weights 16 Kg. Is as easy to order as sending an email, and there's no waiting-list for Europe (AA's facility is located in GB).

Does anyone know where those graphs came from? Do you think they asked 1,000,000 people the same questions and every person answered the questions exactly the same way? Depending on YOUR ears you might like to deviate from measured FRFR.

Sure. In fact, those curves are a statistics mean. Age also matters a lot of course.

:)

• The Fletcher- Munson Graphs certainly don't contain data of 1000.000 people but certainly enough data to express a statistic significance.
    And they're still the reference for the topic they represent.

All in all I believe the profiler originally was conceived with FRFR in mind.
    Later on CK made a powered version available as a concession to guitarists who don't want to part with their cab.

To exploit the profiler to its fullest, go FRFR.
    To have all the options, go powerhead/powerrack.

Do everything you like.
    Play guitar. Enjoy your profiler.

That's the best advice I can give to the OP.

• The best cab for me would be the lightest as possible stereo FRFR cab. I'm totaly happy with my DXR10s but I d like something VERY light for small gig and jam. The Matrix nl212 is not FRFR so at the moment it seems that the KPA-Solutions Blue 3 is alone in this category, 15 kg 2x 8 inches speakers plus tweeters in a superb guitar cab look. Probably not cheap thought...

• I had been "testing" in a store the EV ELX-112. Sound was not bad!
    Is anybody using this with the Kemper Power Amp?
    It has only 250W RMS (1000W peak)...so I wonder if it will be loud enough in the band context!?

• I started out with the EV ELX 112P.

Moved to the CLR after 4 months, and would never look back.

Way too muffled.

I had to re-tweak all my tones, and then I was finally happy with the Kemper.

I was on the fence with it when I was using it through the EV.