Tone matching + profile

• Hi!

Today i experienced the tone matching feature of ozone and i liked it a lot, but i have a question about it.
    Is it possible to profile a sound (created by using the tone matching feature) that had been recorded with the kemper ?
    Or do i need 2 kempers for that ?

Thank you :)

• You would need two to "re-profile" the sound.

But, If you would like to manually dial in an EQ curve similar to the sound you like, Ozone can still help.

Ozone can 'save' and display the EQ curve of a source sound. It can display several of them at once.

If you play the Kemper into it, you can compare the two Response curves. Use the EQs in the Kemper to get closer to the source sound's curve.

Note: This works really well when comparing entire mixes - that's how I use it.

• Reamping revamped
    Record an unprocessed instrument signal, and pipe it through an amp later. This popular trick allows you to adjust and fine-tune the amp’s sound when mixing. Usually, some special equipment is required to convert the high-impedance guitar signal into an appropriate signal at studio-level, for recording. The signal, ready to be "reamped", needs some appropriate treatment as well - with the Profiler, this procedure is both straightforward and easy. With this software update, everything you need comes right out of the box. Impedance and signal levels, just as required. Both recording and reamping can be performed using the analog or digital SPDIF connections.

=====

So how is this supposed to work opposed to how we've all been doing it already?

• I've done a bit of it.
    What you need is a profile that sounds fairly close to the recording
    record a take as close as possible to the recording with the cab OFF
    then do the usual routine with ozone to match and export and IR
    convert IR into cabmaker and import that and thats it!

• I've done a bit of it.

Thanks for the tips but...
    Is it possible to have more details about the export of the IR ?
    Do you use a Deconvolver ? Possible to known more details please?

• Thank you ! Thats how i used it, too :)

I've done a bit of it.

I read that in another thread.
    Did you like the results ?
    Or do you prefer normal profiles ?

Yeah, i'm interested in that questions, too !

• I've done a bit of it.

switching the Cabinet OFF activates the cab driver.
    therefore the results won't match.

• I'm not a big fan of the so called tone-matching myself.
    there are a few good and many pretty horrid sounding examples out there.

the problem is that people think it's ok to use a match eq as an completely automated process that does all the work for you without user discretion.

If I had to match a sound to a recording, I would use a good sounding tube rig that sounds close (gain, cab, mic and mic position-wise),
    run the signal from the mic into your DAW and use whatever match eq you have/like.

By 'use' I mean, let it listen to your rig, let it listen to the target tone and then, when it produces the 'match' curve, turn the mix of the eq down to '0'.
    now slowly increase until it sounds good.

most tone matches were done with the mix at 100%, which is why they tend to sound cartoonish, or like a caricature.

axiom: threre are no quick fixes when it comes to tone, no plugin will make a 'meh' signal sound great.

a simple 5 watt tube amp (the selection is huge these days) with a 1x12 cabinet and a decent mic OTOH goes a long way with the Profiler.

• switching the Cabinet OFF activates the cab driver.
    therefore the results won't match.

Interesting.....While very close something seemed to change when I would put the IR back in as a cab
    Where as when I did it with the axe-fx it sounded spot on (thru ozone NOT thru tone match which IMO and others I have mentioned not as accurate as ozone)
    Some of the ones I did got raved about.

Mind you on my first attempt with the kemper I would notice it off so I would import the "cab" then redo the tone match maybe 1-2 more times and thru the same process it would become more accurate
    So not sure if this negated the cab driver by doing it multiple times?!?!

I've got some matches I did on the exchange which you are more than welcome to check out that didn't seem to popular (mind you I have the one star troll that follows me profile to profile)
    In this case obviously an EMG 81 is going to get you close to the result not a fender strat and thats what brings me to this point

1.Whenever doing these tone matches whatever guitar/pickups you are using gets baked into them so they can vary widely from user to user
    2.while they can be great to play around with to your fav bands record I find thru a full system in a live setting they always lack something

• Thanks for the tips but...

I use the typical technique that a lot of guys use with deconvolver although I use ozone itself to cut out the nasty high end spike it seems to do after matching before I use deconvolver. I found I actually had to brick wall it past a certain frequency

check out "eq matching" on youtube there are a few demos there. some peoples high end solution differ
    the only difference is once you have hte IR you use the kemper cab maker to convert it then import that into the kemper and use it with your profile