2.3 And Re-Amping

• The NAMM annoucement says

Reamping revamped
    Record an unprocessed instrument signal, and pipe it through an amp later. This popular trick allows you to adjust and fine-tune the amp’s sound when mixing. Usually, some special equipment is required to convert the high-impedance guitar signal into an appropriate signal at studio-level, for recording. The signal, ready to be "reamped", needs some appropriate treatment as well - with the Profiler, this procedure is both straightforward and easy. With this software update, everything you need comes right out of the box. Impedance and signal levels, just as required. Both recording and reamping can be performed using the analog or digital SPDIF connections.

However the 2.3 release makes no mention of this feature..

Was something added to the manual? Am I missing something

What is this reamping revamped feature supposed to do differently then how we are already re-amping in 2.2.1

• I think they also were demo'ing their pitch shifting stuff at NAMM, so I think they were talking about the Reamp Sense feature (and others?) that came about in 1.9 or 2.1 or somewhere around there. I got my unit @2.1 and it was already there. So nothing new in 2.3 I assume.

• I think they also were demo'ing their pitch shifting stuff at NAMM, so I think they were talking about the Reamp Sense feature (and others?) that came about in 1.9 or 2.1 or somewhere around there. I got my unit @2.1 and it was already there. So nothing new in 2.3 I assume.

So the signal quality for re-amping is the same for both the direct output and the S/PDIF output?

• We

That depends entirely on the quality of your D/A converters. The S/PDIF output should have a better quality because you avoid one D/A conversion.

when i first got mine i tested it and concluded the s/pdif does have better quality than any other output, using a babyface. if anybody is wondering

the extra conversion does degrade the signal slightly.

(if you're recording from any other source other than the spdif, the signal must be converted into analog in the kemper, and back to digital by your interface. compared to it just staying in digital coming out of the kemper spdif into your interface).

• SPDIF also has less latency. but before coming to any academic conclusion, listen to clips of actual music usinng analog vs SPDIF. for real-world music, you probably couldn't tell the difference.

would you say updating to an interface with S/PDIF is necessary/adviseable when I want to recrod wet+dry at the same time and have used the direct output for the DI tracks up until now?

• the main reason i like spdif is because it makes reamping so damn easy. also you don't have to lose sleep over signal degredation, regardless of its actual observable impact on tone.

necessary - no. advisable - yes. you should be able to find one pretty cheap.

• Damn. Seems like I have to invest in a new interface with S/PDIF then. Thanks for the info guys!

make sure you don't get one with optical spdif i/o's, unless you want to blow an additional 150 on converters/wires. (coax to optical converter, and optical to coax converter, and the 4 wires.

• Also, if you get a firewire interface, many of them perform best with a dedicated controller card with a certain recommended chipset. Factor the price of that into what you are willing to spend. It's probably easier to just get a dedicated card. But I do like my Firewire breakout box.