[NEW] RigManager page on wikpa.org

• I just setup a page on our community Wiki to provide info on all things RigManager.
    Until now there's just some basic (but important) info. But I would like to encourage everybody to contribute if you find something helpful and interesting to share with the community. Don't be shy, you can't make an error and remve stuff by accident. Just go ahead, even if you have no clue about formatting information in a Wiki. We will take care about that as long as there's help to provide info (even unformatted). :)

http://www.wikpa.org/RigManager

Cheers,
    Martin

• "Before you setup the RigManager software, go to SYSTEM menu page 1/9 on your Profiler and press "Show Tag". Here you'll can find (and edit) the KPA Owner name. This name is very important for the RigManager to work properly."

this is wrong and should be removed. the USER NAME needs to be identical and RM takes care of that. the DEVICE NAME is not important
    gs

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• "Before you setup the RigManager software, go to SYSTEM menu page 1/9 on your Profiler and press "Show Tag". Here you'll can find (and edit) the KPA Owner name. This name is very important for the RigManager to work properly."

this is wrong and should be removed. the USER NAME needs to be identical and RM takes care of that. the DEVICE NAME is not important
    gs

The sentence is correct, sorry. No need to remove it.
    Read again to notice I've wrote KPA Owner which is exactly what is shown on the Profiler's display. :)

• The sentence is correct, sorry. No need to remove it.
    Read again to notice I've wrote KPA Owner which is exactly what is shown on the Profiler's display.

yes you did and i stand correct but it is still not needed.
    gs

• It is necessary to have the same name in both places to see and manage the Favourites.
    I know that there is a popup message offering to set the Profiler's KPA Name to the name you entered in RigManager's preferences. But syncing the name this way (from RigManager to Profiler) makes you loose your prior favourites on the Profiler if the name entered isn't identical.

Thanks for taking the time to answer in your free time though.

• It is necessary to have the same name in both places to see and manage the Favourites.
    I know that there is a popup message offering to set the Profiler's KPA Name to the name you entered in RigManager's preferences. But syncing the name this way (from RigManager to Profiler) makes you loose your prior favourites on the Profiler if the name entered isn't identical.

Thanks for taking the time to answer in your free time though.

rig manager polls the name from the Profiler. idealistically, the user doesn't have to do anything. the important thing is that there is a match in the end. send us a bug report if there's a case where above doesn't work. by the way, i'm just trying to help and thanks for setting up a page for Rig Manager.
    gs

• I'm trying to help as well and there had already been complaints that Favourites had disappeared. That's why I decided to suggest people to check their KPA Owner name on the Profiler before they setup the Rig Manager. And I'm still convinced that this is best, because the RigManager does NOT poll the name FROM the Profiler but it tries to SEND the name TO the Profiler. This is what I read from the notification dialog shown when there is a mismatch or even an empty Author's Name field. It's simply the wrong direction to sync ... and I think it's not a good idea to sync at all because:

1. We can have multiple Profilers connected and they don't necessarily have to belong to the same person.
    2. Nobody wants to EVER loose his favourites because of a (half) forced name change.

I would suggest that the RigManager doesn't care about the KPA Owner name on the user interface at all ... just manage the Profiler's rigs with the currently active KPA Owner name. No user interaction, no name change, nothing. Just take it as is. If you need it for something I'm not aware of, then just poll it from the given Profiler in the background. How about that? :)

• Great work as usual, Martin. And I agree - I don't think there should be a forced handshake.

I want to make one point of clarification, but I want to make sure I didn't miss something first. When you import rigs from your local machine into Rig Manager, changes inside Rig Manager do not immediately reflect on the original files, correct? In other words, importing creates a copy of the rig. To get an edited .kipr file, you need to then export the edited rig from via Rig Manager. Also, a rig can be copied inside Rig Manager to different folders. Changes to one copy will not reflect in the other copy.

However, rigs loaded onto your KPA, or on the USB stick connected to your KPA can be directly edited from Rig Manager.

Can anyone confirm this?

• 1. We can have multiple Profilers connected and they don't necessarily have to belong to the same person.

I see only one use case for that: Assuming you and a friend want to swap rigs. You connect both Profilers to one PC.
    In that case, you just don't sync the owner names (which is offered when you connect your friend's Profiler).
    But since your friend's favourites aren't yours, there is no problem in having two owner names. Your friend could even set the favourite tag with his Profiler without interference to your rig collection.

2. Nobody wants to EVER loose his favourites because of a (half) forced name change.

Actually, you can't "loose" your favourites. Favourites are expressed as a match between owner name and favourite tag. If you decide to change your owner name, there is an easy workaround. Sort by Favourites. Move the Rigs to a local folder. Change the owner name. Tag all Rigs in the local folder as favourites again and push them into the Profiler.

just manage the Profiler's rigs with the currently active KPA Owner name.

This actually contradicts your point one.

• 1. Connecting 2 Profilers doesn't necessarily mean to copy and share rigs. It could be used to try amp/rig combinations for dual amping.

2. There's a difference between "loosing" and "loosing", of course. But while they might not be lost in a technical meaning, they are certainly lost to the user's eye without knowing why. Some folks have been using their Profiler for 2 years or even more. You think they care much about a name they entered long ago? Chances are high that they would enter a different name in the RigManager's preferences, don't you think? Even more likely since the Preferences! wording is completely different to the Profiler's wording (Author's Name vs. KPA Owner)

3. There's no contradiction. Remove the Author's Name field from the Preferences. Just poll the name from every individual Profiler connected and use this name (these names) in the background for whatever purpose you think you need it. DO NOT CHANGE NAMES, no matter which direction!

• Maybe something to add :

Importing either rig exchange profiles or local profiles make a local copy in a database. These databases are stored in %appdata%\kemper amp\rig manager" folder. So, time to time, think about making a backup

• Yes, Christophe. It might be something to add to the wikpa.org ... but I want to wait a bit until I figure things out a bit more. For example: If you want to make a backup, close RigManager first! The above mentioned databases will only be updated on exit. Want to test first, if there's an update cycle in the software where the database gets an update e.g. every hour or so.

• 1. Connecting 2 Profilers doesn't necessarily mean to copy and share rigs. It could be used to try amp/rig combinations for dual amping.

2. There's a difference between "loosing" and "loosing", of course. But while they might not be lost in a technical meaning, they are certainly lost to the user's eye without knowing why. Some folks have been using their Profiler for 2 years or even more. You think they care much about a name they entered long ago? Chances are high that they would enter a different name in the RigManager's preferences, don't you think? Even more likely since the Preferences! wording is completely different to the Profiler's wording (Author's Name vs. KPA Owner)

3. There's no contradiction. Remove the Author's Name field from the Preferences. Just poll the name from every individual Profiler connected and use this name (these names) in the background for whatever purpose you think you need it. DO NOT CHANGE NAMES, no matter which direction!

:thumbup:

90% of the game is half-mental.

• I want to make one point of clarification, but I want to make sure I didn't miss something first. When you import rigs from your local machine into Rig Manager, changes inside Rig Manager do not immediately reflect on the original files, correct? In other words, importing creates a copy of the rig. To get an edited .kipr file, you need to then export the edited rig from via Rig Manager. Also, a rig can be copied inside Rig Manager to different folders. Changes to one copy will not reflect in the other copy.

However, rigs loaded onto your KPA, or on the USB stick connected to your KPA can be directly edited from Rig Manager.

Can anyone confirm this?

yes. gs

• Please add the information that you HAVE to use the usb port on the backside whicht is a USB-B connector. Today i bought a USB-A to A cable, using front usb port and wasting lots of time looking for the problem.

• ...sigh... i added it...

but yeah, Martin is right - it wouldn't be a wiki if only Martin, myself, and Gianfranco were expected to edit it. in the time it takes to write a post to this forum to ask us to add content, you could have done it yourself. we're not whining about the work, just disappointed that people are missing the entire point of the format.

• Please add the information that you HAVE to use the usb port on the backside whicht is a USB-B connector. Today i bought a USB-A to A cable, using front usb port and wasting lots of time looking for the problem.

THANK YOU DrFaust! I forgot about the one on the back (I never use it), I'd put off using RM because I don't actually have a type A to A cable...now I see I don't need that either! Thanks for saving me much time and anguish (and probably posting about it here).

By now, I should be used to Kemper leaving out important info from the manual (very first step in the basic manual, how to set the clock for just one example)..... :D

edit: forgot to add, thank you muchly meambobo and wiki team for adding this Rig Manager page. :)