Best Profiles for Death Metal

• Would you lot recommend trying the SinMix, TAF Engl Bundle, or Stymphalian EVH first? The TAF Engl samples sounded a bit underwhelming on the short (and not very informative) clip on their website... That being said, ENGL heads (SE especially) are my favourites.

• Would you lot recommend trying the SinMix, TAF Engl Bundle, or Stymphalian EVH first? The TAF Engl samples sounded a bit underwhelming on the short (and not very informative) clip on their website... That being said, ENGL heads (SE especially) are my favourites.

I would go with the SinMix pack first. These profiles are crushing and sound really good in a mix and on stand-alone! The stymphalian packs are more for the people who love the 5150III/5150 sound.

• Thanks, all, for the very kind suggestions! I might try SinMix #3 as I'm partial to ENGL for leads, but it also has the 5150 III which is another solid favourite.

Speaking of death metal -- there have been some hilarious and fun profiles of the HM2 pedal in front of a JCM 800 by one "r.u.sirius" -- the classic Swedish death sound (Entombed/Dismember). In fact his other high-gain profiles are impressive as well.

• Just tried the Lasse profiles, and they are reaaaaally good!

The Lasse profiles are miles ahead of the Merrow profiles, and the (in my humble opinion, quite underwhelming) Ola Englund profiles. The most astounding profiles I've heard on the Rig Exchange are actually from a Bogner Shiva (author: r.u.sirius) who also has some hilarious/awesome classic Swedish death metal profiles using the Boss HM2.

I'm about to dive into the SinMix metal profiles and will report back!

• Little tipp on how to make the sinmix rigs PERFECT for the mix: Add +3 Mids.

Its a tiny adjustment but makes it so much more "fat" in the mix thats fu#*%/§ insane. :D

I did the opposite for this, -2.5 on the mids. :D Leaves room for a fat bass guitar.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I did the opposite for this, -2.5 on the mids. :D Leaves room for a fat bass guitar.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I actually was assuming you would cut out some mids knowing you love those kind of rigs :D . Personally I need my big fat mids in the guitars to deliver the fast deliciousness

• I actually was assuming you would cut out some mids knowing you love those kind of rigs :D . Personally I need my big fat mids in the guitars to deliver the fast deliciousness

Yeah they're great for recording, since there'll usually be a buildup of low mids around 500-750Hz in the mix that will mud up everything, and it makes a lot easier for the bass guitar to cut through (and subsequently makes the mix sound bigger through small speakers that don't properly reproduce the low end). For live use I love boosting the mids though.

• hahaha, Guys Mid on "0" :thumbup:

LANEYGH100S SM57 NO MXR :D

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

But Seriously, it all depends on many factors. There is no single rule ;( .

Have Fun! and Stay Metal!

• Pretty much all of the profiles discussed here sound fantastic to me. My personal favourites are the SinMix profiles (especially the ENGL and EVH) and the Stymphalian profiles (especially the 5150II).

For recording these sound pretty much perfect already, but I'd like to ask: does anyone have tips for tweaking profiles to get more of an amp-in-the-room sound, for jamming/practicing/writing at lower volumes (through studio monitors)?

• Pretty much all of the profiles discussed here sound fantastic to me. My personal favourites are the SinMix profiles (especially the ENGL and EVH) and the Stymphalian profiles (especially the 5150II).

For recording these sound pretty much perfect already, but I'd like to ask: does anyone have tips for tweaking profiles to get more of an amp-in-the-room sound, for jamming/practicing/writing at lower volumes (through studio monitors)?

Add some reverb and some mids - works for me to make it sound really really big and open. Pretty much exactly like when played with a cab!

Also: added GRS 5150II high gain profiles (rig exchange)