Dipping the toe in the Kemper pool

• Hi everyone,
    I'm Scot and just recently purchased a Kemper Rack. I gig regularly (75-80 annually) and we go anywhere from classic rock and pop to current country and a touch of 80's hair. Pretty much anything is fair game.

I'm a big tube amp guy and am currently favoring a Carol Ann Triptik which is incredible. I purchased the Kemper as I tend to go through a lot of amps (Marshall, Splawn, Friedman, CA) and was hoping to have something that would slow the Paypal account down. Initially I was looking at the Kemper as a B rig live, using the Kemper effects with the CA with the ability to switch to the Kemper if a tube failed or needed to make it through a gig.

I am currently evaluating whether the Kemper should be the A rig, profile the CA and keep it at home. One of the challenges I have is we play a variety of gigs from small clubs to corporate/festivals so the venue determines how the amp gets dialed in which means the tone can change a bit from gig to gig. We use IEM's so stage volume is generally not a consideration outside of the sound guy negotiation. This is where I'm hopeful the Kemper will provide some consistency.

Been through quite a number of profiles and trying to keep it to a few that are in my wheel house and spend some time dialing them in. That's difficult with all the profiles available but I'm trying to avoid endless previews and acclimated to the options.

Not ready to break it out at a gig yet but will take it along to sound check to baseline the tones I am favoring to see how they translate in the mix. Cautiously optimistic. Any feedback on the live thing would be cool (looking at the forums and general searches already). Mainly lessons learned, EQ considerations in a mix, preferred global settings and the like.

Thanks

• Thanks!

IEM only. Previously I've had one in and one out to get the cab tone but that kills me on the larger gigs. Just upgraded the IEM's so hoping that I can get that tone to translate in my ears.

Will need to figure out if I need to have a small cab to try and generate feedback or if that can happen within the device. I'm thinking a cab will still be a requirement but not necessarily fed back to my ears to get the tone. Haven't found much on that topic.

• Ciao Scott, welcome here :)

Unless I'm missing something here, adapting the Profiler to the different venues is a no-brainer: there are lots of EQs everywhere and you can furthermore save your Output configurations (EQ included) for each different place.
    Apart from this, the main tonestack, and gain and volume are always available with physical knobs in front of the Profiler, like any amp. Further controls are just one more click away.
    So tweaking for the room is definitely easier than with any amp.

• Welcome!

I agree by using IEM it should be very easy to get exactly the same sound as you used before.

Profile the amp in the same why you would set it up for live use - maybe profile some sets for different locations - done ...

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Ciao Scott, welcome here :)

Unless I'm missing something here, adapting the Profiler to the different venues is a no-brainer: there are lots of EQs everywhere and you can furthermore save your Output configurations (EQ included) for each different place.
    Apart from this, the main tonestack, and gain and volume are always available with physical knobs in front of the Profiler, like any amp. Further controls are just one more click away.
    So tweaking for the room is definitely easier than with any amp.

This ^

And welcome! :thumbup:

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Welcome Douzable! Have had my Kemper about 6 weeks now. I've really gotten into it the last couple of weeks and I'm totally amazed how easy it's become tweaking your sound and tone. You're can take a profile that sounds so-so and with a little work can turn it into a monster go to tone. I use IEM every week and with the headphone "space" I feel like I'm in the mix. I too sold all my amps and pedals and won't look back. I'm getting old so it's great going to a gig with just my guitar and Kemper. A real back saver. Enjoy the journey. Steve

• Thanks for your words of encouragement everyone!

EQ wise, we always have a sound guy so he takes care of the room. More important to have a consistent tone from gig to gig than adapt especially as changing on the fly impacts everyone's IEM mix. This will certainly help as we just booked two corporate shows on the same day two hours apart which is a bit crazy. Will certainly not get a soundcheck on the second gig so having this dialed in by default will save some headaches for sure. Selling itself at the moment.