Multiple Amp Setups that work well for Rock

• Like the title says, since it's pretty easy to reamp with the KPA the possibility of giving a guitar take different type of sounds I'd like to know what Amp combinations work well for your needs. I'm mainly interested in Rock / Hard Rock sounds, not really extreme metal or however you want to call it.
    What's a good match for a Gibson LP and how much gain do you use per profile? Do you HP or LP the different profiles, any practical info would be greatly appreaciated.

• Well there is no rule here. using multiple amps can be tiresome, as the finding the sweetstuff between them harmonically can be quite a task, and every amp combination is different, and of course this all depends on what you play, and how.

Generally, I aim to always have one amp that supplies the grunt of it all. the other to compliment where the other is lacking.. i.e if a amp is quite crunchy it can loose a lot of upper mids, and also compressed. - so the other amp I have a LOT cleaner, enhance the top end. - blend that with the other.. etc etc

Another way ive tackled multi amps is to have one amp full dark.. full highs rolled off. - the other the opposite this can work amazingly well for a unique tone that's very big.. but it can also get very messy and ugly.. so its all about experimenting.

your looking for completion though.. the way the transients work, the harmonic structure, the 2 amps have to be working with each other not against.. and of course phase is important..

but.. try not to think about it TOO much. just mic up the amps, as normal (or if using the Kemper, scroll through till it sounds good)

Most importantly have fun!..

• "live re-amping"?!?!

I know Feck has a pair and uses them simultaneously.

My advice would be to look at some of the dual-amp combination profiles that people have done. CrankyRayHanky has made a couple different blend amps - Diezel D-Moll/Marshall Fortin Mod, Mesa Recto/Marshall Fortin Mod. ShainSTH has a Mesa Recto/Randall blend. UberProfiles aka Northern Gateway Productions has a blendpack featuring a bunch of amps - http://ngp.bigcartel.com/product/kemper-blendpack. And Till's Chimera pack features Diezel Herbert, EVH 5153, and Mesa Recto blends (maybe more amps?).

Keep in mind these blend profiles can't distinguish two different gain levels, so you can't get a clean tone and a saturated tone at the same time in one profile. Sometimes that's the big draw of dual amps - have one saturated and another more dynamic and crunchy, or one clean and one crunchy, etc.

As Andy said, it's not easy to get good results. I agree with both of his approaches. The Marshall JCM + Mesa Recto seems to be a popular combo.

• Has anybody done live re-amping using 2 Kempers?

Yes, I have used both of mine live simultaneously (and do here in the studio almost 100% of the time). Can't recommend it enough - as a longtime stereo amp fan, the stereo KPA setup is just as great, but plus or minus about 100lbs. :)

• Thanks Andy, your advice is highly appreciated.
    The other I was combining a 5150 profile with a JCM800, both Amp Factory and it was a step in the right direction, but like always it depends on the song and it's gonna be a long way to figure out which combinations make sense and sound good. Often I notice that using multiple amps for the same sounds it can sound unnatural and muddy.

• well my only real advise here then, is this:-

1) FIND the sound you want with a single amp first, this will be your main sound afterall.
    2) Then scroll through with the main sound playing, and adjust the 2nd amp to fill the holes.
    3) IGNORE what the 2nd amp is doing, this amp if done correctly will sound TERRIBLE by itself, as you are simply filling holes..and don't be afraid to use extreme settings in EQ
    4) try not to match the gain levels else your level of mud will also increase.
    5) MIDS is where the guitar lives, so try and have opposite levels of mid on each amp. (else you will get buildup see point 7)
    6) you will need to do a bit of sculpting to get the harmonics to sync well. (Use a good EQ for this, using harmonic octaves)
    7) Running 2 amps can cause extra boxiness sometimes, or Lower mid buildup. so use POST EQ in daw to cut a little at about 800hz and at 150-200hz
    8) make sure your running MONO out of the Kemper and not stereo, and that your summing both amps to the same mono track.
    9) Bottom line.. USE your ears to judge, I never said its easy.. but when you DO find it. its amazing!... don't give up!.