Can I get a tone like this?

• no. you will not have the mentioned tone: you will get better than that!

it is a nice sound but not more than nice......just my opinion!

the kpa is capable of a lot of dynamics in playing, not really imitating the amp but instead acting like it is.

but it is hard to explain in words. you really should try it yourself in a way or another. this is what I did. friend of mine told me about the kpa but very smartly he didn't explain anything. he just told me to Google the word kemper. found another friend who had it and test tried for some 1 month in all conditions: on a power amp, on a pa, and so on. at the end, I sold everything to buy it. Only kept my power amp (Mesa 290) and my power conditioner (Furman ar230).

hope this helps

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• There is the RU Sirius "Bogner Shiva crunch", the B01018 "Bogner Shiva gain" and the MillA "bogner shiva lead" and Feck "Shiva drive 7.5 B"

Now his finger style aside, you may have to tweak the gain on these, but only a tweak to match.

Then you need a Gibson Les Paul. I'm using a Traditional with Classic 57's and a Vitamin Q cap, but I have the treble almost full up and using the Bridge pickup of course, like he is at first, then later he's using the Neck pickup, then rolling back the treble (so if you have stock caps it's not going to be as smooth a roll-off, which is why I'm using the wax/paper ones), etc.

Gotta also get the reverb right and I'm assuming he's using compression. So match the fx part when perusing profiles.

What guitar are you using? What settings and fx are you using, and WHICH RU Sirius Bogner Shiva profile are you using, he has a few?

Also, how thick is your pick?

Edited 2 times, last by db9091 ().

• Yeah, if it's made with the same specs: wood, pickups, electronics, etc.
    I've gone down the road of trying to make, say, an Epiphone Les Paul into a Gibson and it just doesn't work. The wood matters. A lot.
    Or a Squire into an American. Doesn't work there either. All newbie mistakes that at least taught me soldering!

But often by the time you are done switching out the pickups, electronics you can add another $300 in parts and $150 in labor.
    And what's the resale on it? A total loss on your "upgrades".

At least with the name "Gibson" you have the equity in resale if you're still on your journey searching for the right guitar for you.

So the branding cost is BS on the one hand, but it means real equity and swiftness of resale too. Those are reasonable considerations.

When I go, my wife will have trouble selling my local luthier made cedar guitar with burstbucker/alternative 8 pickups, though it's a beast with the best action of any guitar I've ever played. But my Gibson will sell itself.

• I'm using a Gibson Explorer (real Gibson, not Epiphone) and I have the ru Sirius lead profile and crunch profile. I am using Jazz III picks. I don't know, I guess I haven't found the sweet spot on my Kemper yet. The tones are good, but they aren't blowing me away by any means. I'm running a power rack through a Mesa 4x12 cab. At practice I play with another guitarist who has a Dual Rec into a Mesa cab and his tone is much more vibrant, dynamic, and sweet sounding than mine. It could just be a matter of tweaking my settings more though.

I'm thinking of buying a CLR to try the FRFR route and see if I like my results better.

• I can't address the live sound.

My experience with the Kemper is if you replicate the chain, you get spot on right there. Gotta have the right amp, right pickups, it helps to have the right guitar, but the pickups are definitely key. The KPA can sculpt, but it's not meant for that much sculpting. Trying to make say a Jazz III sound like a Burstbucker or Classic 57. It's like tying to make a Vox sound like a Fender.

But you are talking also about the dynamics which is entirely another area too. Others will have to chime in with the how and why of that for live work.

I like to dial in classic tones and if I can nail them I'm quite happy. I've gotten Taxman with a Kemper Vox AC15 and a Musicman with P90's. I mean spot on got.
    I've gotten Hideaway off the Bluesbreakers with my LP through the Bluesbreaker's profile from Andy. I've gotten AC/DC's Back in Black with Pete's 72 Marshall and my LP better than any other guitar combo with any other Marshall and that's not an SG, but it's probably the same pickups. Someone correct me if Angus doesn't use 57's in his SG. Sounds like it to my ears.

They all have the grind, chunck, high end sparkle, etc just like the original recording in the same places. My only trouble lately is getting the Dickey Betts "One Way Out". I haven't been able to figure it out yet. Maybe just can't find the right speaker. There are Marshall 100's, but I don't think they're through JBL's. But I'm close enough for practice. Just not exact yet. That's my current hunt. Oh, I've also gotten "Tunnel of Love" with my Strat and SSL-1's (Cali 50's) through a Fender. Don't remember which one, it was a year ago. So I'm convinced the KPA is CAPABLE. But you have to have the correct setup, correct chain.

I let others play the Kemper and am always surprised at how well others dial in great sounds I am unable to play for lack of the chops. I have a friend who does Van Halen and other similar 80's hair-teased-to-the-moon groups. Another friend plays Rush and Yes and nails them.

Let me ask you, can you get the dynamics you want in Headphones? Cause if you are able to there, it's an issue with how you get your live sound. If you can't get it in Headphones, it's something else. Don't waste money on speakers before you resolve it in your cans is my advice.

If THAT fails, and there is that one amp out there that does what you want live, go for it. The Kemper model's an amp. But it should be rather easy to get what you want. If an amp is easier, that is your destiny.

How about you get your practice buddy to switch off with you for a week. Let them have the Kemper, you take the Amp and see in a week how you feel. If the he loves the Kemper and you love the amp, trade with a cash settlement. Or else if you both love the amp, and the KPA isn't doing it for either, you know the gear you want right there.

• "Let me ask you, can you get the dynamics you want in Headphones? Cause if you are able to there, it's an issue with how you get your live sound. If you can't get it in Headphones, it's something else. Don't waste money on speakers before you resolve it in your cans is my advice."

I agree with this. If your personal playing style is similar to that kind of playing, when you use that kind of amp, you can get this sound with the Kemper and your guitar. For that gain level. it wouldn't necessarily even need to be a Shiva. Pretty much *ANY* EL34 Marshall profile (with V30 speakers) could get you that sound, or it would be so similar, it wouldn't matter.

Subtle Stuff: If you have a mahogany Explorer, your guitar has a more diffused high end than a Les Paul (My 1980 Hamer Explorer does, too), and it has a little more low end (that is a lot of mahogany!). If it is a korina, same note about the high end.

Not so subtle stuff: Have you set your Output correctly for a guitar cabinet? If not, the Kemper cabinets would be colored again with the Mesa cabinet.

A trick I used to get the Kemper "sweet spot": I set the Input settings so my guitar would react like the Soundclips of Kemper Factory Sound demo that were made with similar guitars.

• I can go to my Audio interface with a 15-20db cut on Master, but for Live to my Monitor, I have to cut it 20-30db or it's too hot and I get some compression or squishing that hampers dynamics.

The Kemper signal is quite hot on it's outputs.

I don't know how the Power Rack handles volume before the Power Amp and the Power Amp Out, but maybe that's where your dynamics are getting quashed?

• Incredibly interesting thread! :thumbup: Unbelievable expertise! :thumbup: This is the right place to be! Kudos, guys! 8o

• Thanks, Zeus, for posting this interesting link. The - before unknown to me - guy is incredible. His dexteritiy is amazing, his bendings
      candy-sugar-crush, his one-finger-/two-finger/three-finger/four-finger-vibrato technique bordering perfection. Wow! Unfortunately the songs IMHO
      do not reach that level. At the end of the day: too much shredding for my ears, but that's just me.
    • Sound-wise you guys have covered all the ground, i cannot add one thing to that.
    • db9091, your comments are enlightening! i have eight guitars now and i want ot get rid of a few of my beauties. if my delicious tokai strat had another
      name on the headstock it would have been sold for a long time. now i have to sell it on ebay for much too low a price ...
    • With trying to get the sound of one of your faves, it is a strange and complicated thing in general, isn't it? for instance: "still got the blues" is my personal
      nemesis. I think i must have tried to play this tune for the first time in 1991. when I record it nowadays after all those years it still sounds like f...k
      When i noodle on a backing track of "Parisienne Walkways" wihtout trying to sound like Gary, i sound sweet and inspired and a lot like geraldo.
    • The experise in this forum is amazing, and i am sure that with those profiles and the mentioned eqing you should be able to get rather close to the sound
      of this guy. keep posting, thanks

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.