How to mimic 12 string guitar

• I would like to find out if anyone has experience with mimicking a 12 string? One of our songs needs a 12 string (according to our bassist), I have been using Vintage Chorus but he deems it unsatisfactory, it looks like the Chromatic Shifter may do part of the job by raising the pitches of the lower four by an octave, but doing the unison with the top two has me stuck. I will try the Chromatic Shifter but would appreciate any useful suggestions. I would really like to avoid having to schlep a 12 string for just the one song. Thanks.

• The only way I know to approximate the sound of a twelve string is to layer a guitar in standard tuning with one in the Nashville (high strung) tuning - meaning you use strings that are an octave higher than your regular E - A - D - G strings.

Everything else doesn't really work, for the reasons you already described.

• What song is it?

Depending on the song, and the part(s) to be played on 12-string, a "close enough for live" octave chorus sound can be an effective substitute for that extra guitar. But, it will octave all six strings, not just some of them. Can you just play the lower four strings? Problem solved ;)

Since you are experimenting with the effectm make sure the +12 sound is just loud enough to be heard, but not so loud that it sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks' guitar. a tiny amount of detune may help it sound more real. Add a small amount of Chorus after the effect, to help it sound like one guitar.

• Since most of what you hear on a 12 string is the first few strings, can one just string up the first 6 strings of a 12 string set and set the neck correctly and just play those?

On electric do you really want to jangle 12 strings? Unless you are playing the Byrds or Hard Day's Night

• 'Schlep' a 12 String ...they're cheap and light enough ...too offset the misery tell your bass player the song really needs to be played on a 12 string bass as well ;)
    ...in truth the only other options (apart from those by previous posters) are things like the Roland VG or Line 6 guitars ....both of which do a passable job .....I ended up taking a 12 string out (a Dano) nothing sounds like a real 12 string ...

• Are you looking for and acoustic or electric 12 str. sound?

I would like to find out if anyone has experience with mimicking a 12 string? One of our songs needs a 12 string (according to our bassist), I have been using Vintage Chorus but he deems it unsatisfactory, it looks like the Chromatic Shifter may do part of the job by raising the pitches of the lower four by an octave, but doing the unison with the top two has me stuck. I will try the Chromatic Shifter but would appreciate any useful suggestions. I would really like to avoid having to schlep a 12 string for just the one song. Thanks.

• Depending on what you want exactly you can also try a chromatic +12 setting (pitch shift settings). It is not exact, but it gives a little more "ring" than nothing. All strings become an octave above the string instead of the e & b...being unison, but it may be something to try along with chorus???

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• It comes down to how critical the accuracy of the sound is. While nothing sounds like a real one (including the Variax and the Roland stuff), I've sat in with oldies bands, and used the +12 approach that bshaw and I have both mentioned - I've used it for Byrds, Tom Petty, Searchers, Beatles, etc. with those kind of gigs. Everytime I've used that kind of sound, the other players would ask me how I was able to sound exactly like a 12-string. In context of a band onstage, it may be close enough for you and your bass player, especially if you play it like a 12-string.

If you are going to record, definitely use a real one. They are enough out of style to be pretty cheap used guitars (as long as it is not a Rick, Fender, or Gibson).

The doubleneck Epiphone can be cheap, and here's one that is harder to find, but can be had for next to nothing. I have one of these - I didn't know Guitar Player reviewed it until today:

Retro H mini humbucker semi hollow 12-string

• Thanks for the inputs, guys, gave it some thought and decided to go with a JTV59. Seems it'll work fine, I'll find out tomorrow night. :)

One of my bands is a covers band (mostly 80s) and the JTV59 models sound decent enough for a number of things we do (the 12 string model is for "Listen To Her Heart", I'll use the Ric 360-12 model, also need drop D Tele for "One Headlight", few other things that can use quick changes in models and tunings) and it sounds pretty danged good in mag pup mode also, very similar to my LP Studio, plays like it too. So, I'll use it as a "stunt"/backup guitar and bring whatever else I want to bring (usually a LP or 335 or a Carvin) and a Tele or Strat or clone thereof. That way, I'm covered if pop a string during a tune.But I must say the doubleneck Epi sounds like a good idea, except for the arthritis in my neck/shoulder area. Would look great on stage, though. Hm. Maybe I'll try one out...

FWIW I had a Variax 300 about 10 years ago and it sounded terrible when crunchy or for leads, ditched it, the JTV59 models actually sound pretty danged good, although the mags just feel better, the modeled pups still don't react with an overdriven amp quite like the real thing. Ah well. Also, I use a Pod HD300 for woodshedding, but the Kemper kicks its butt, no comparison!