Windows - MAC version of RIG Manager - a Web application instead works on both

• Dear Kemper team, a Web based Rigmanager and an associated locally free downloadable database would have tremendous charm.
    :) It is not necessary in the future for two platforms develop paralell
    :) The Kemper user can use his RM database, the RM and a portable Webserevr on USB stick and the USB driver "armed" his Kemper manage from any PC
    :) The software could even run on a Kemper webserver , so you must select only its local database, no software updates that Kemper RigDatabase also implemented - assuming Interntconnection
    Thanks for your great innovation

Kind regards

Edited once, last by mici01 ().

• That's a great idea! I am not sure how this could or would be implemented into the Kemper server but it certainly would mean to have all your profiles and back ups and even updates and OS in th cloud. Perhaps a good idea instead of developing an app for each operating system like Windos or MacOS X... :)

• yepp.. anything that would make it generic and platform independent would be awesome! How about running on smart cell phones and tablets... everybody has one, we carry 'em around with us.. they can lay on local and cellular networks to get updates from the mothership while you're sleeping if you like.. and could easily deploy updates to the KPA unit and back it up as well.. and operate independently off life as needed...get rid of the boat anchor PC's.

Gettin' funky up in here..

• .... and what's the difference if you have access to wifi, LAN or Cellular network? A multi-platform application just allows access from more types of devices. The think is... Rig Manager is very limited in what it does and how much data it manages.. even when they expand it, it'll still be a small application and can fit on just about anything and could do all kinds of things... even when you're in the middle of nowhere.

Gettin' funky up in here..

• Web-based tools such as forms may be useful for the user-interface in a rig-manager application, but there are other components in such an application where web-tools do little to help with or provide portability. There are abstraction-libraries for USB-communications, networking, embedded databases and GUI-components that work across all potential platforms (win/ios/osx/linux). Granted, portability-libraries do carry some functional and performance-limitations compared to native solutions, but we're not talking about an application that is pushing such boundaries here. I'm really surprised that what we've seen so far is so deeply buried in that proprietary quagmire they call .NET Unless Kemper deliberately have planned to maintain almost completely separate implementations for each platform they've made one of the worst possible choices.

For a web-application to provide an OS-agnostic interface as this thread suggest it would have to either run on the KPA itself across wired net (if its network interface can be used for that) or with a USB network dongle. Another option is to run the application in a computer on a stick (USB) with networking capabilities that plugs into the KPA. This obviously comes with an extra expense per user, and I doubt the development of such a solution is going to be less expensive than maintaining a true multi-platform application.

• Well, while that may be suitable for a lot of users, a good number of studios (both professional and semi-professional) do not connect their main session computers to the internet.

Personally, I dont agree with the logic, but the thought being that if its not connected to the internet, it cant get a virus.

Anyways, if you want platform independence, then why not make the Rig Manager a Java based program? It'd be platform independent at least, if that is your main concern.

Anyways, I just wish they'd release a Mac version already. But I can live without it for the time being. :thumbup:

• I thought this would have been the best solution, but the non IT guys don't like it. We then would have had a use case for the network plug.

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

Geht nicht, gibt´s nicht. "Doesn't work" is no option. :!: