How Can I use Two Different Sources (Kemper and Computer) With One Pair of Monitors?

• Does anyone know a cheap solution for using one pair of studio monitors for multiple audio sources? I just got a Kemper and it sounds great through my monitors but I'd like to also be able to use the monitors for general computer use and music listening through my sound card (RCA outputs). The monitors have multiple inputs but I have read that it might not be safe to have them plugged in simultaneously.

• I'm running a similar setup but I'm using a mixer (as janus suggests). You should be able to find an adapter cable for RCA to <whatever> though that will work with your monitors. There shouldn't be anything wrong with connecting multiple inputs to them, but if you experience hum, clipping, crackling, burning, or melting you might want to stop. Also, watch the levels so your computer's noises and whatnot don't come blasting out at a way higher volume than the KPA. I'd still recommend a decent mixer though since they give you so much flexibility with your ins and outs.

Do you have a link to the manual for monitors? I'm curious about the text of the warning.

• You could get a computer-instrument interface (which is essentially an external sound card with as many inputs/outputs as you want to buy as you would with a mixer) and enter the world of DAW recording on your computer. Starting with one of the free DAW's, or a trial version of one of the higher-end ones.

It would allow you to play simultaneously whatever you want from your computer as well as whatever you run through the interface into the computer, like your Kemper, and it would all come out mixed in your monitors.

• How about this one: is there any way to run a computer's audio (clean) through the KPA and just use your Headphones plugged into the KPA? I want to jam along with songs on my computer.

• How about this one: is there any way to run a computer's audio (clean) through the KPA and just use your Headphones plugged into the KPA? I want to jam along with songs on my computer.

Yes, use return and alternate input for the audio you want to jam along to.

• But if he wants to use only the computer? If you use the Alternate Input, you have to turn on the KPA everytime you want to use only sound from your computer. But it should do the trick.

• Well, this is not what Amaze-B asked :)
    Anyway, if you want to use the computer alone there's no need for special settings: just connect HPs to the computer.
    Am I missing something? :huh:

• Thanks guys! I have speakers for the computer - I just want to run audio from the computer AND the KPA at the same time to jam along. I saw that alternate input, but didn't try it. I'm glad to know that's a built-in feature. CKemp - you beast!