New: Metal Recording Pack

• When evaluating a profile, some of us would also like to hear what "non-professional" or "amateur" users can create. If they can create something with potential, using their limited resources, then I can extrapolate that to fit my skills and expectations. Not all of us base our buying decisions on one single perfectly mixed demo.

Blackbird beat me to it!

I was gonna say that on Soundside.de, the purpose of the "user samples" is precisely this one I believe, to showcase what his profiles can do in the hands of an amateur sound engineer.

And yes I do have limited resources! Aside from my obvious lack of knowledge and experience (i've been mixing in a self taught way since the end of 2012) The Kemper was given to me as a gift, but there's still a lot of gear that I need to improve eheh!

My Guitar: Schecter SGR C-7 (200€)
    My Monitors: Don't exist, I do have some cheapass speakers which do not sound bad (I do not use them for mixing, I just use them for listening how the mixes sound afterwards)
    My Headphones: ATH-M50 These are pretty decent, and are the ones I use for mixing (150€)
    My DAW: Reaper, and I use all of its bundled effects eqs and reverbs (cost me 40€)
    My Interface: Tascam US-200 (200€ or so, works fine :))

So even though the biggest reason for bad mixing is my knowledge of it, I've noticed the guitar recording also accounts for a lot of the mix's quality, and well, my guitar is not the greatest! (one day........)

I guess it's alright if you want to bash Armin's way of doing his business, I guess it's your right to do so, he could pay a professional mixer to do stuff for him, but it's his choice not to do so and we all have to respect it. But I have gotten some of Soundside's profiles because of user profiles, and like me I'm sure there are more people.

All in all artembankin you've been mixing for 15 years and I've been mixing for 1 and a half, maybe you could cut me some slack? :)

Regards
    -nox

• People what is wrong with you? I tried to be gentle in expressing his opinion.
    But if you really want to hear it, so I'm not a fan Higain profiles from TAF! Better?

I get it. You're the victim because a few of us pointed out your disregard for professional courtesy. Duly noted.

• Well I have to say the multi mic setup works pretty nice.

I've created a sample made from 2 different profiles from this Metal Recording Pack (not from double mic profiles though). Just some ideas scrubbed together, not very polished composition but I believe it showcases the profiles well.

http://soundcloud.com/noxtherox/armin-recording-pack

As the majority have stated here I think it sounded good. Not my style but I can appreciate the effort.

• Maybe I'm totally missing something but all I see is that Sinmix said the TAF profiles "were not what I expected." Where's the harm in that? How you get from that to "putting down other's work" or "agreeing with another's post" about them being obsolete, unusable, etc. is beyond me. Sinmix paid for the TAF profiles too. He's entitled to an opinion. It's not like he said, "TAF profiles are terrible, buy mine instead". Maybe he simply shouldn't have made that comment at all since he also offers commercial profiles but some of you guys are blowing it way out of proportion.

• Maybe I'm totally missing something but all I see is that Sinmix said the TAF profiles "were not what I expected." Where's the harm in that? How you get from that to "putting down other's work" or "agreeing with another's post" about them being obsolete, unusable, etc. is beyond me. Sinmix paid for the TAF profiles too. He's entitled to an opinion. It's not like he said, "TAF profiles are terrible, buy mine instead". Maybe he simply shouldn't have made that comment at all since he also offers commercial profiles but some of you guys are blowing it way out of proportion.

Did you read post 27? And 28 which I personally agree with.

• yep, that was a cheap shot. Shouldn't be happening amongst people that provide commercial profiles.
    and besides Andys Uberschall and Diezel Herbert, also the Orange Thunderverb are perfect for styles from rock to metal and can easily compete with people who only offer metal profiles.
    Also Armins profiles cause there are plenty of great demos and I think that Armin and Andy have really proved over time that they deliver superb amp proifles. no questions about that.

please don't let this turn into a trollboard. criticism is fine but they way it has been articulated in this thread is highly questionable.

and I think it would make Armin quite happy if we'd return to the threads topic ;)

I have to side with SINMIX on this one as he delivered some incredible profiles and knows what he is talking about. (possibly his message was a bit unclear in the translation)

I think if a certain genre isn't your forte then its probably not best to be making commercial profiles. (especially with metal when something like the Lasse pack is free!)

I've bought a ton of commercial profiles , some are amazing ...a few packs I think the average to good rig exchange ones leave them in the dust. (I won't mention which ones)

I bought the amp factory metal pack and tbh was dissapointed ...there are enough profiles in there that I still found some good ones
    I think the bogner and the 5150 singles not in that pack are superior .....GREAT profiles!
    Most of the rock ones Andy has done are phenominal and my personal favs. I'm hoping he does the AFD mode #34 and I don't care how much he charges if he can nail the UYI tone , I'm sold :D

Just to be clear I've bought profiles from Andy, SINMIX, Armin,TopJimi and a few of the blackcartel guys ....Also some of my own free profiles (if I had amp access I would be doing more.....this may happen in the future in some very well known studios if I can work something out!)

It is a little sad that anyone with a 5150, sm57 and a HD camera is jumping on the commercial bandwagon these days it seems....

• just to be clear here. - the reason I spoke out, is because from one seller to another, professional courtesy means we don't put down others work, even if you agree with other people. because of the entire, "read between the lines" point of view, i.e " persuade people to visit your own store instead of another... - I cant be the only one who sees this, he is offering his services and charging for his work, therefore he has to be classed as professional, but also needs to conduct himself as one too. - For anyone else, they have every right to slam commercial work..but Vendor to Vendor is plain wrong, regardless of being a payed customer.. as I said before, and I still stand here (albeit alone by the sounds of it) - that right went out the window when you opened your doors as a commercial seller.

As regards to me doing metal, naa, I tried, and I appreciate that some of it is hit and miss, but I'd be extreme foolish right now to try and compete to some of the other commercial guys here, I did it before, because there was demand and I tried... believe me I did.. it was a smaller world commercial venders were just Myself & Armin. now there is lots of other people doing all metal packs, that I safely know my place. - I often pass people to metal vendors, (actually quite a lot) sure, Im missing out, but would rather have the piece of mind that they are satisfied than me claim to be something Im not...

• I am glad that customers create great demo files which can help others to hear how the profiles can sound.

Of course each player has different skills, guitars and recording techniques - Günter for example uses the profiles without any modification - others may fine tune some profiles with the KPA knobs or change something in the DAW.

Günter and Stehpan are professional guitar players - I don't know about each other user which contributed to the user clips.

Even when I am asked for it - I refuse to pay someone for creating demo files - I prefer to show the results of' happy customers.

IMHO is the world big enough for many sellers - and it's not forbidden to buy from many sellers.
    Each one has it's own way to create profiles - use what works best for you.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• I don't like to think of a strict vendor/consumer dichotomy. If I offer something for sale, I don't feel like that should force me to bite my tongue. Yes, professional courtesy and mutual respect should be present; but I don't think Sinmix crossed any lines here.

Andy's point about competition is a good point, but I don't think it means you can't voice an opinion about someone else's work. I wouldn't consider Sinmix and TAF as true competitors anyway. As Andy just mentioned, his focus is not metal.

Sinmix has posted positive feedback and clips of more direct competitors' profile packs. He's not trying to dishonestly dog competitors for his own bottom line.

• The next Metal Recording Pack will be available soon - after the first Blues Recording Pack.

If you have any great recordings using these pscks let me know.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• My read of this thread has me a bit disappointed.

I can't remember a thread quite as outside the usual demeanor here. The fact people who tout their commercial products at the good graces of the Kemper folks at odds in a thread started by a vendor is even more disappointing. I think Kemper has the larger COMMERCIAL interest, actually. Vendors should consider staying out of other vendor started threads.

I appreciate the efforts and updates given by those who offer free and commercial profiles.

I think, however, it's a very poor direction to have sniping and editorial comments from folks who should know better than editorializing in pointed terms regarding other vendors ..

The comment about "Next will be the Metal Handjob Pack".... WTF is that but an unrequested editorial from one peddler aimed toward another?

I think potential customers can use their own ears and judgement when it comes to what will work for their musical efforts.

Some stuff belongs left unsaid or in private messages.

There's a rig exchange that resides along with the forums. I'll post if something really works for me if it's from the free zone or commercial choices. If I don't like something I just leave it for the next person to judge it themselves. I would hope someone sharing a demo with profiles in question really isn't an invitation

Being a pragmatic sort, if this section of the forum turns sour for me? I just won't read it any longer.

Thanks for reading that which is meant as friendly advice. :thumbup:

BTW, The Gear Page is much more the venue for pissing contests as opposed to this place..

Edited 3 times, last by 1fastdog ().

• Kudos, very good point regarding the discussion.

Also, there's the question of "What metal?" when it comes to profiles being suitable for "Metal". If it's the run-of-the-mill modern metal tone with tight TS boosted modern high gain amps + V30 cabs, indeed SinMix, LasseLammert, some of Andy's and Armin's profiles and several others work pretty darn good. If you're approaching for the more "oldschool" "dirty" "unholy" or rather "marginal" sound, well Andy's most Marshall profiles excel at various heavy/hard/NWOBHM sounds ranging from late 60's to mid 80's, depending on your amp/cab/stomp profile or other combinations and such. Heck, I seriously LOVE his Orange profiles for my Stoner/Doom/Sludge tones, running up a Voodoo Lab Superfuzz or a Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz is seriously DOOM HAVEN, and very suitable for recording/mixing purposes too. Totally depends on the sound you're looking for. Personally, whenever I try to go something with a "dirtier" or "oldschool" vibe, I find use for most of Andy's profiles all the time. If I'm going for the post-2000's "tight metal" sound, I go for Sinmix and various others.

Nevertheless, I don't recall having a "dissapointment" with any commercial profiles so far.

Keep up the good work, everyone! I wish I could have contributed, but I sold my only head and cab prior to getting the KPA.

• Hi,
    @1fastdog

"Next will be the Metal Handjob Pack"

It was just a joke, but not everyone is caught. He was not addressed directly to Armin, but to all those who have recently started doing "metal pack", also to me. One more time peace and love people :thumbup:

BTW, The Gear Page is much more the venue for pissing contests as opposed to this place..

[Blocked Image: http://www.brickwall.pl/gify/oooouuuu.jpg]

:D :D :D

Keep up the good work, everyone! I wish I could have contributed, but I
    sold my only head and cab prior to getting the KPA.

[Blocked Image: http://www.brickwall.pl/gify/b0001e6c4aca.gif]

People, end ideas for gifs :thumbup:

Stay Metal!

• Thanks for the clarification.

Although "Metal" isn't what I play, I'm glad to see any guitar community find the Kemper to be a great tool. The better the success the more updates we can look forward to.

There's a pretty wide range of sub sector in "Metal" and thus some differences in the preferred tone ranges.

• I know I haven't had a lot of involvement and "experience" in the forums but this is my view. All you can really do is post up audio clips (in the mix & solo'd), give information as to what was used/done in profiling, and price the item decently. The profiled tone is completely subjective to the customers opinion. What is brutal and crushing to one person could be fizzy and over compressed to another.
    If you have listened to the clips and like the sound, buy it. If you listened to the audio clips and hate it, don't buy it.

I personally have liked most of the profile audio clips that I have heard from commercial sellers (Sinmix, Armin, Jaymz, Tylerhb). They are all great at what they do and you can find uses for their profiles in different genres and playing styles. I think that all Kemper users should encourage and promote other users rather than bash their productions and efforts (not talking to anyone in particular).

Sorry for the rant but I haven't been "on" the forum for some time.