New rig tag preference: Pickup type

• I would like to be able to see roughly what type of guitar each rig is profiled for. The guitar doesn't affect the profiling-process itself, but has everything to do with how the real amplifier is dialled-in prior to profiling. The KPA front-panel-controls for EQ, gain and presence tries to model the behaviour of real amps, but won't behave exactly the same. I would even make this a mandatory attribute by implementing it as a set of pickup-models from which the person doing the profiling is forced to choose. This could also be a useful filter in the rig-browser.

A useful, but not exhaustive list of pickups could be as follows:

• Passive single-coil
    • Passive humbucker
    • Active single-coil
    • Active humbucker
    • P90
    • FilterTron
    • Piezo
    • Other

Edited once, last by heldal ().

• I would certainly like to see this, perhaps as a drop down menue in rig manager. Will also steer the user in the selection of favourites. Excellent suggestion.
    Paul

• Sorry, but I do not see how this could be (very) usefull (for me).
    First, do this mean, that you never try the profile that is not marked as "for your pickup"?
    Second, passive single coil/passive humbucker is such a wide range – eg PAF vs JB ...

So, for me, only help is to try the profile with your guitar(s).
    At the end I can say, that the profile that I like works usually for all my guitars – with different pickups – different sound, but the same amp flavour.

• I like the idea of "pickup type" being available as a point of reference, if for no other reason, to get an idea of how much gain a rig in a sound clip posted by the creator would have with my guitars. Although, the current Single/Humbucker is close enough for me.

It wouldn't keep me from trying out a rig. Most of my guitars have a combination of single coil and humbucking pickups, anyway;) The ones that don't have both still work with the rigs I use all the time, they just sound like the kind of guitar they happen to be.

Often, making some minor tweaks can make one rig work equally well with a variety of guitars. After all, a JTM or Deluxe Reverb with all the knobs on 10 will sound great with pretty much any guitar plugged in (IF the guitar's volume and tone controls are used to tame the beast)

• I like the suggestion and it would help but-

It's about the person doing the profiles perception of the sweet spot.

This involves way more then the pickups for it to work for you.

We would need tags for size of pick/fingers, strength of playing, style, string gauge, attitude at time of profiling, taste, hearing loss, influences etc etc.

Bottom line it's easier to just audition as many as possible until something speaks to you. IMO of course.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• It's about the person doing the profiles

I agree that it is all about personal preference, yet:

The experience from my own work with the KPA is that if I take a versatile amp, dial it in for a crunch-tone with a standard Telecaster and create a profile I won't be completely satisfied with the resulting profile when used for example with a Les Paul. Nor will I be satisfied if I dial the tube-amp in for the Les Paul, profile it and use the profile with the tele. Now I have two profiles, one made for a guitar with humbuckers and one for single-coils. If I then plug in a SSS stratocaster I'm most likely to find something I like in the profile made for the tele, and with a ES335, SG or PRS-SC I'm more likely to be satisfied with the profile made for the LP.

None of these are absolutes, and I will still play around with various profiles across guitar-models. However, with a large number of rigs available I'm convinced that it'll be faster to find the tone I'm looking for if it is simple to focus on profiles made for a guitar similar to the guitar I'm holding in my hands.

Edited once, last by heldal ().

• I agree with you Heldal, just playing the devils advocate card :)

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• I would like to be able to see roughly what type of guitar each rig is profiled for. The guitar doesn't affect the profiling-process itself, but has everything to do with how the real amplifier is dialled-in prior to profiling. The KPA front-panel-controls for EQ, gain and presence tries to model the behaviour of real amps, but won't behave exactly the same. I would even make this a mandatory attribute by implementing it as a set of pickup-models from which the person doing the profiling is forced to choose. This could also be a useful filter in the rig-browser.

A useful, but not exhaustive list of pickups could be as follows:

• Passive single-coil
    • Passive humbucker
    • Active single-coil
    • Active humbucker
    • P90
    • FilterTron
    • Piezo
    • Other

+1

• Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I think that feature is already there. If you open the Rig Manger, you can see a tag for Amp Pickup Type. Then if you scan the Rig Exchange, you will see that about 80 to 85% of the authors do populate that tag with either their specific pickup type, or more commonly a simple HB or SC type tag. The tricky part is that since all tags are text fields (they can say anything... SC, Single Coil, Lipstick, single, Noiseless SC, Tex Mex, Fender 57, etc.) it is tough to search the tag meaningfully without some sort of standard.

• The pickup information would be good supplemental information, but simply having the values used on the amp while profiling would benefit all....even if using different guitars.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• I see your point, but:

- as already mentioned there already is a pickup type tag available
    - honestly, a tag like Humbucker or SC won't help a whole lot, since there are HB out there that are actually brighter than very warm, overwound SCs - it's a bout how warm or bright your guitar sounds as a whole, not only about the pickup and certainly not all about the pickup type.

If only there was a parameter that told you how bright the profile was...
    oh wait - there is: Definition! :D

- the Definition parameter is your friend for two reasons
    1) it tells you how bright or 'defined' the amp is on a scale from 0 to 10. Definition values well below 5 are well suited for brighter sounding guitars (most SCs, but also some HBs), around 5 you have a well balanced profile and settings well above 5 can really brighten up more modern, high output (less highs) pickups or otherwise warm sounding guitars.

2) you can adjust the definition of any rig to make it work with your guitar/pickups. It's an absolute value, so don't be surprised if you tend to adjust it to a similar value for a certain guitar. My personal sweet spot (sweet range?) is from about 3.5 to 7.5, with many rigs right in the middle (like a bell curve).

A 'sort by Definition' option might be cool to have, right?