Direct recording level maxing out issue in DAW

• Hey guys! I'm having a bit of a problem directly recording from my Kemper Powerrack. I've tried to search this problem but haven't had any luck. I'm recording using the Ola Engl profile but the problem occurs for all profiles.

Setup: Guitar > Kemper input > Kemper Main Output Left (XLR) > Focusrite Saffire 6 USB interface > Logic Pro X

Problem: No matter how low I set the Input Gain on the Focusrite, the waveform for the recorded track in Logic is a solid block and just holds the mixer level maxed out. I have the Kemper Master Volume set very low. When I go ahead and set the Master Volume completely off, the level in Logic still bounces around -21 dB, even with the Noise Gate on. Neither the Kemper Input or Output are clipping and the Focusrite input signal doesn't clip either.

The monitored audio and guitar tone sound fine when recording but I don't get a normal waveform -- just a solid block because it's showing a maxed mixer level. I'm hoping there's just something simple I'm missing here but I've spent a few hours going through a bunch of settings in Logic and on the Kemper and haven't had any luck.

Anybody have an idea on what's going on?

Thanks guys!

• This has absolutely nothing to do with Logic.
    You need to tame the input sensitivity of the Focusrite interface.
    Open up Universal control and set the flag accordingly for the input you are using.

You were right Ingolf, it was the interface. I reinstalled the firmware and the problem disappeared...definitely should of thought of that sooner. Thanks for the help guys!

• You were right Ingolf, it was the interface. I reinstalled the firmware and the problem disappeared...definitely should of thought of that sooner. Thanks for the help guys!

Glad you're sorted but now I'm curious. :)
    You had to install firmware in the Focusrite device?
    Wasn't it a simple settings problem in the configuration like I suspected?

• Glad you're sorted but now I'm curious. :)
    You had to install firmware in the Focusrite device?
    Wasn't it a simple settings problem in the configuration like I suspected?

I don't think there is a configuration menu for the Focusrite interface. I installed two driver updates (http://us.focusrite.com/usb-au…s/saffire-6-usb/downloads) but there is no actual application to configure the interface. It seems like it's just plug n' play. In OS X 10.9.2, under System Preferences > Sound, it shows that the Saffire USB 6 as my selected input and output device but there aren't options to adjust anything.

• Thanks for the information.
    I was thinking the Saffire 6 USB would be configured in the Universal control software like the others I know.

Hey Ingolf, to be honest I don't even know what the Universal control software is. Is that the name brand of the software? By who?

Hey erm87, do you use the MixControl software from Focusrite when you dial in your settings?

Hey Trainwrecktwostep, I didn't know MixControl software existed. I'm downloading it now and going to mess around with it. Thanks!

• I use Mix Control for the Saffire 6i6. It acts as a router for the analog and S/PDIF signals into Logic on my Mac Mini. If you have questions, they have the BEST tech support that can explain its use in your situation.

• Hey Ingolf, to be honest I don't even know what the Universal control software is. Is that the name brand of the software? By who?

Hey Trainwrecktwostep, I didn't know MixControl software existed. I'm downloading it now and going to mess around with it. Thanks!

I'm very sorry!
    I was meaning to write MixControl, of course.
    I was totally mixing this up with Universal control which is a Presonus software for the StudioLive mixers.

For the record: mixing up names due to having too much equipment is very bad.

Sorry again! ;)