Change Rating System

• A Star System would only be semi-meaningful if it had the number of voters on it.

But a better system would be an "UP" or "DOWN" thumb's rating. People either "LIKE" it or "DON'T LIKE" a profile. And if a number of voters is next to it with a percentage of "LIKES" then it becomes meaningful as you get more voters.

Urban Spoon does this and I find their ratings actually spot on to choosing good restaurants. It's HARD to get 9 out of 10 people to agree on anything, so when 90 out of 100 say they like this Chinese Food place, it's probably very good, most often is excellent.

I bet that will translate to profiles well, and is MUCH easier to vote on. HOW do you pick a 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 star? What is that even based on?!? There is NO MODEL for basing such a rating, and so it's very meaningless.

But "LIKE"? We all unhesitant that, and can vote quickly, where as having to choose between the number of stars may make people NOT vote due to the indecision. I know I haven't because of it.

• I don't dispute your point, but I find a rating system to be open ended based on the number of variables we have. People's taste and equipment are way to diverse. The rig manager is definitely a friend when it comes to reviewing and trying out new rigs and old rigs. I really don't even notice the rating system any longer since the rig manager has come in. If you had some reference for who voted then it would be useful to see if someone you know and have similar taste with (as well as knowing their equipment) voted thumbs up or down.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• I don't dispute your point, but I find a rating system to be open ended based on the number of variables we have. People's taste and equipment are way to diverse. The rig manager is definitely a friend when it comes to reviewing and trying out new rigs and old rigs. I really don't even notice the rating system any longer since the rig manager has come in. If you had some reference for who voted then it would be useful to see if someone you know and have similar taste with (as well as knowing their equipment) voted thumbs up or down.

You are quite right. Ditto with Restaurants. Which is why I like the Urban Food App's way of doing it. A simple up/down vote would give a pretty good idea.

For example, if I don't play metal and I play a metal profile, I'll probably NOT vote on it. Cause I know I can't judge such a tone. But if I like Crunch and Hi-Gain, I do have an opinion that alone is meaningless.

But it becomes meaningful as many people vote. So HOW do you get people to vote easily? By having only 1 of 2 choices. Humans can't resist a choice between two things. But a choice between 5 things that have no measurable distinction keeps people from trying to vote.

• I prefer a 5 star system when it comes to rigs in my local library or My Profiler but can understand that a simple Crowd Rating under the Rig Exchange folder is not that meaningful. Maybe by adding the number of people that rated a rig might be better.

So for example if 403 people voted on a rig and it's crowd rating is 4.65, it might be something to try out. Rig Manager would display it as:

4.65/403

Not sure how sorting would work based on my suggestion but maybe just multiplying the score with the number of votes would be a better representation of a rating.

The reason I like the star system is that it makes evaluating rigs easier for me. How I plan to use it is that for me, a 5 star will be a keeper. Store it to the KPA and done. A 4 star is also a keeper but doesn't have to be stored on the KPA. A 3 star would be like a default score. Every rig comes in as a 3 and once reviewed goes either up or down the scale. A 2 star rig would be a rig that I don't have a current use for but has potential. I'd review these rigs if something changes in my setup like getting a new guitar or updating pickups, etc. Finally, 1 stars would be trash and burn; no need to keep in local folder.

Cheers,

jayson

• Jayson's option is my favourite. It doesn't only tell me how many people have voted, but also "how" they liked it in the average. Exactly the way is is on the RE now. Of course there still are pieces of information missing.

• jayson's idea is an easy middle ground.

But I was afraid if you gave the Kemper team an easy fix, they'd not go for the "Amazing Suggestion by I", er, aka, alias, nom de plume: Ingolf, ha ha!

• I prefer a 5 star system when it comes to rigs in my local library or My Profiler but can understand that a simple Crowd Rating under the Rig Exchange folder is not that meaningful. Maybe by adding the number of people that rated a rig might be better.

Love it, I agree too :thumbup:
    Anyway, an improvement on the Rating System is needed...