Guitar Tone Matching is here. I found a better way to do profiling

• Got some questions Pete.

1) It's been well discussed that differing guitars don't profile differently that much at all. My experiments show slight differences, not enough to really change the sound of the amp, more slight differences in gain. Could you explain why and how a profile using a Strat differs from an LP for you?

2) There is a lot more to guitar than EQ. There is a lot of dynamic aspects and EQ can't touch. Compression, attack, etc. So how can Tone Matching account for such dynamics?

Thanks, Pete!

• Got some answers! :)

1) It totally makes a difference on a tone match like say a Van Halen brown sound, at least the way I do it which may be different than others and I'm not really going to give away the farm here. The reason why some people hear a clip and complain about the profile they downloaded not sounding the same though is going to be the difference in guitars most of all, and secondarily the recording gear used IF the recording is a single tracked guitar and effects are all in the kemper. If I'm not worried about matching a clip someone else made with a different guitar they used to play it and profile, then the guitar when used to make a general amp profile is mainly used to get the right volume, gain and eq/sound you want.

2) Totally correct, which is why I say it's a better way, not the perfect way. But then again, there are a lot of dynamic aspects within a player's style that can't be duplicated either. But I think if you were trying to match guitars, EQ would be the primary consideration. Again, my system is going to work with a bridge humbucker, which removes a lot of compression/dynamic aspects of say a single coil vs humbucker or an acoustic guitar with a piezo pickup vs humbucker.

My system isn't perfect but it works better than the old one.

I know you're not a huge fan of tone matched profiles in general, I have a system that works pretty well that goes beyond just an EQ match and takes into consideration many factors beyond just a clean or distorted guitar.

Send me an email at [email protected] and I'll send you a sabbath matched profile I pulled for paranoid, see how that sounds and feels to you.

Pete

• So far, playing with the Paranoid profile, B and C slots on.

Rocking out for sure. Total Sabbath. I've been playing for a few hours this morning (on vacation for a wedding)

This is most excellent, Pete!

• I tested for Pete and the GTM VH profile blew the doors off his first VH profile using the tone matching to my guitar. That's just my opinion and what sounded great to me. Yes, I agree with everyone that out-of-the-box thinkers like Pete create innovative products. Keep up the good work.

• Just bought the GTM tone match 5 Ozzy pack. I bought it more out of curiosity since I'm not a huge Ozzy fan. I don't dislike him, just not at the top of my favorite type of music. I have to say that there are some awesome tones in this pack. I haven't done the extra step of having my guitar tone matched yet, but this pack stands on its own without the extra step. I will probably go the extra step just to see how much closer it gets just out of curiosity. I'd say you knocked this one out of the park. Now I can't wait to see what artist you pick for the next pack. Thanks.

• Just bought the GTM tone match 5 Ozzy pack. I bought it more out of curiosity since I'm not a huge Ozzy fan. I don't dislike him, just not at the top of my favorite type of music. I have to say that there are some awesome tones in this pack. I haven't done the extra step of having my guitar tone matched yet, but this pack stands on its own without the extra step. I will probably go the extra step just to see how much closer it gets just out of curiosity. I'd say you knocked this one out of the park. Now I can't wait to see what artist you pick for the next pack. Thanks.

I only recently got into him. I have a friend who grew up with Ozzy. He said after watching the TV's shows of him and his family, "Man, if I knew back then that he was a blathering Idiot I wouldn't have worshipped him so much" ha ha!

The thing for me is the guitars, although I appreciate his singer's unique cadence and delivery. He clearly has and has had some of the best guitarists, and that is what sucks me in.

I'll have to check this pack out.

• This makes perfect sense to me, while others are really stretching their imagination of what can and can't be achieved with eq. Look, it's another "step" forward in the right direction. Not a major leap, just enough to further lower the approximation aspect between what you hear from recordings of tones and what "we" actually hear at home/studio using the same profiles. Bravo tbh.

• I'm liking Pete's stuff since I got an LP. My Strat and Tele and MusicMan were not making my day with them. But the LP was BORN to play the profiles I've gotten.

I got the Tone Match Set 1 and am having a lot of fun with it. Maybe this LP is closer to Pete's guitar and that works better.

So if this Guitar Tone Matching can do it for, say, a Strat or Tele, that is pretty amazing.