Time for a Strat!

• Good luck with your search and purchase. After you've played it for a while I would recommend doing some research on the aforementioned lace sensor pickups.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• I'm sure you'll enjoy that strat :)

BTW - to prevent wanting a SECOND strat for a spare, have you tried tweaking the Variax sounds with their software, to try to get closer to the kind of strat sound you want? I had the 500 series Variax, and was able to get some fat strat ones. They unfortunately had a more compressed dynamic range than conventional guitars, but a newer Variax likely comes closerl or eliminates that issue.

You likely can get a spare Soloist sound, too. I was able to get extremely close to the sound of my 80s SSH pickup mahogany Hamers using Tele bridge pickups in the neck and middle positions, and the ES335 bridge humbucker.

• Yup. I used the new HD Workbench 2.0 software. Installed a file from another unsatisfied Variax owner. He adjusted parameters within the pickups (capacitor setting and such) on the 2 and 4 settings. It was an improvement, but not a home run. Thats when I decided to come up with Plan B. :)

Im very happy with the rest of the guitar modeling. Its just the Strat that was weak to me.

No worries about a second strat. Money will be all gone for the year after this investment.

• I'm assuming you are right handed. It can be said of many guitars that they are all individuals, but Stats are ever more so. And even a great Strat can be frustrating at times with temp changes on your action. Point is, if you find yourself frustrated with it, don't feel bad returning it, and trying another. I have gone through 5 of the same Fender model sometimes before finding THAT one which works best (when purchased online) Other times, I've played dozens over years before finding one that just "sings" to me, feel-wise. I've had MIM's that are better than Custom Shops even. Point is, all Fender lines have great and not-so-great individuals. I'm a lefty and have to buy sight-unseen. Right-handers typically can find variety locally and play before they buy. I guess what I'm saying is, scrutinize and don't feel bad about being picky. It's not you, it's just the way Strats are. Good luck, that is a beautiful looking Strat!

• At 60 years old ( and playing since 15), this aint my first guitar rodeo :) Which is to say I have purchased a few in my time and am familiar with the process. As you have probably noticed from my postings, I have no problem with assertiveness.

I have a great relationship with Sweetwater and I love their 45 day return policy. If Im not happy with a purchase I have no problem sending it right back. I dont care to buy them from Guitar Center in Vegas since they hang on the wall where any schmoo can lay their paws on it.

• For me is a guitar a living beeing - each is different - from the same kind.

Fender and Gibson produce VERY different guitars - from the same kind.
    PRS, Ibanes and others are more consistent.

So try to find a large shop and try all Strats they have ... even the ones which may be to expensive - and then buy the one you like most.

For a clasic sound I would use sss or as compromise a ssh where the humbucker can be splittet.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• nice looking strats you're considering! it'd be great if you could play a few to find the one that fits you. Man pickups today are completely different my the old days; there's just so many variables even with single colis.. I was at Tom Anderson's shop a month or so ago and spent a little time with him; great guy, awesome builder. I was amazed at the tonal difference in his pickup line..

Oh yeah.. I saw a video on youtube not long ago where Jimmy Herring was discussing his guitars.. he really liked and played a Japan Strat.. his tech had switched to Lollar pickups and a new flatter radius on the fret board.. but hey, it's way less expensive, sounds fabulous, and customized to his specification.

Gettin' funky up in here..

• Jimmy Herring was discussing his guitars.. he really liked and played a Japan Strat.. his tech had switched to Lollar pickups and a new flatter radius on the fret board.. but hey, it's way less expensive, sounds fabulous, and customized to his specification.

Let's not forget from 1997 to 2011 Fender Japan guitars were made by Tokai in the Tokai factory. :thumbup:

But that's another discussion... :)

• So try to find a large shop and try all Strats they have ... even the ones which may be to expensive - and then buy the one you like most.

Armin - heres how I purchase guitars these days. I stated this in the post that precedes the one you made.

Tom -"At 60 years old ( and playing since 15), this aint my first guitar rodeo :) Which is to say I have purchased a few in my time and am familiar with the process. As you have probably noticed from my postings, I have no problem with assertiveness.
    I have a great relationship with Sweetwater.com and I love their 45 day return policy. If Im not happy with a purchase I have no problem sending it right back. I dont care to buy them from Guitar Center in Vegas since they hang on the wall where any schmoo can lay their paws on it."

• I read an Angus Young interview. He said he picked up his signature SG in a NYC shop (Manny's?!? I forget) in the 70's and it just was the bomb for him. When he got famous, Gibson sent him 10 SG's and he said NONE of them were right. None.

I don't know what he does today, if it's custom shop after studying his favorite one or not. We all know Gibson had issues with consistency, but truth be told, all Guitar manufacturers had that issue in the 50's, 60's, 70's.

About the only guitar I've ever seen that is the same every time is a Taylor, ha ha. I hear PRS are also very consistent, but have no experience.

I don't think it's the Bolt Neck for Fenders either. My Tele is consistent entirely. And my MusicMan Axis Sport is amazing. It's just Strats are finicky. Maybe I got lucky with those 2 bolt-on's?

• As another Variax user here, I can concur, a common disappointment with the HD2.0 sounds is the Strat. Line6 really dropped the ball there. They turned it totally vanilla (besides the 2&4 issue too). I, like many other users, roll back to earlier versions just to get a decent Strat sound again.

Another note, don't be afraid to ask your Sweetwater rep for a discount on your new Strat. Mine discounts everything from their website price.

• Another note, don't be afraid to ask your Sweetwater rep for a discount on your new Strat. Mine discounts everything from their website price.

Yes, I have a LONG history Randy at Sweetwater. He is always very generous with his discounts. And thats off the fairly low price they are going for these days. In fact that discount paid for next day shipping so it arrives tomorrow. :)

• About the only guitar I've ever seen that is the same every time is a Taylor, ha ha.

Funny you should mention that. I got the 2014 40th Anniversary 810e and have been very impressed with its construction and tone. It rivals Martins and Gibson acoustics Ive owned in the past.

• Great thing about Strats, with after market pickups is it's soo easy to get them to sound how you like.
    If acoustically the Strat sounds mid-heavy or dull (no "Stratiness", you want to put low-output vintage pickups for it (like Lollar Tweeds). If it's too bright or thin, you want to go with higher output pickups in it (like Lollar Specials).

I like a lot of Stratiness in my Strats (vintage output pickups).

• I need to use your Sweetwater rep. I think mine has a picture of me and throws darts at it, ha ha!

I have a GC rep that is the same way with me. Long repore does help with the discounts.

I've thought about getting a Variax in the past, but they don't make the good ones for Lefties.

• Yes, Ive bumped into several grumpy ones at Sweetwater when Randy Akins was on vacation. It ended up being quite a bad experience. Luckily he returned and since then I try to deal strictly with him. Nice, knowledgeable (guitarist) and good to talk to.

I really like the feel and sound of Variax. Both the regular pickups and the 24 models. Its just the Strat I dont care for because it has limited quack.