Time for a Strat!

• After several months of ownership, I am generally very happy with the tones the James Tyler Variax can approximate, EXCEPT the Stratocaster spank/quack. When working on SRV styled tunes it just doenst work.

So its times to add just one more guitar to the barn . This will be joining my 2000 Jackson Soloist SL1 USA and Variax in there.

http://www.rainbowguitars.com/…na-sunburst/0110102747/fe

I like the Fat 50s pickups and the versatility the humbucker gives the guitar. Owned one when I was 18, which was many moons ago :)

"Ands that all I need. Dont need anything else" - Steve Martin in "The Jerk".

• The Variax is a trojan horse - after a while I wanted to get ALL the guitars I liked in it.

And yes, you are right the Strat sounds less convincing of all models.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

Edited once, last by Armin ().

• I've never been a Fender or Gibson man

I had a Zakk Wylde Gibson once well infact I had three. The first one the laquer rubbed off this was then exchanged for Zakk Wylde number 2 which had the nut tightened up to much that the headstock laquer was cracked and Zakk Wylde number three they gave me the truss rod snapped in the neck. This guitar cost me £2500 !!!!! And all these problems put me off Gibsons for life

I'm just a through and through PRS fan boy best guitars I've ever played IMO anyway :) ...... But I have debated on getting a start for their clean sound :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• just a thiught but youre miss gonna miss half the famous Strat Quack with a Humbucker in the back

You bring up an excellent. point. I went for the HB to add versatility to the Strat. But I get great HB sound from my Jackson Soloist SL1. I will definitely reconsider getting the other model. Thanks! :thumbup:

• I tried putting Classic '57s in various guitars for years to sound like an LP.

But only an LP sounds like an LP, and the ironic joke is that LP's don't all sound like LP's!!

But yeah, a Strat should be all single coil for classic tones. Some swear by Lindy Fralin for that 60's Strat fat tone.

I'm still stuck on the 50's Strat tones, so SSL-1's are my babies. What you can do after that is get a MIM and play with HB combinations.
    There are so many versions of Strats it's just easier to have them dedicated.

Unfortunately, yeah, this all costs money. But I look at them as semi-investments to rationalize the costs, haha.

• I decided to go with this...

http://www.sweetwater.com/stor…StratAMMSSB2/snUS13107179

or this

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratAMRSSB2

Leaning toward the rose wood neck after trying both out. Faster for fingers and more pleasing for eyes with Sienna Sunburst finish.

Body Type Stratocaster
    Left-/Right-handed Right-handed
    Body Material Ash
    Top Material Not Applicable
    Body Finish Urethane Finish
    Color Sienna Sunburst
    Neck Material Maple, Bolt-on
    Neck Shape Modern C
    Scale Length 25.5"
    Fingerboard Material Rosewood, 9.5" Radius
    Fingerboard Inlay White Dots
    Number of Frets 22
    Nut Width 1.685"
    Bridge/Tailpiece Tremolo
    Tuners Deluxe Staggered
    Number of Pickups 3
    Neck Pickup Custom Shop Fat 50s Single-coil
    Middle Pickup Custom Shop Fat 50s Single-coil
    Bridge Pickup Custom Shop Fat 50s Single-coil
    Controls 1 x Volume, 2 x Tone, 5-way switch
    Strings Fender USA Super Bullets 3250L, (.009-.042)
    Case Included Hardshell Case

• This "Legendary Tones" comparison review details SSL-1, Antiquities, Dimarzios, 57/62. It also mentions my preferred, but "out of style" strat pickup for a stage guitar - the Lace Sensor , and describes it in relation to these other pickups.

http://www.legendarytones.com/vinpicup1.html

Here's a way to get a fat bridge tone, and still get an "in between" tone with middle/bridge:

On my maple fingerboard stage strat, at the bridge postion, I have two single coil size pickups next to each other, like a humbucker.

A multi-pole five way switch, or push/pull volume and tone potentiometers can be used to make middle/bridge position single/single, but still get the humbucker sounding pickup in the bridge position. I do it with Lace Sensors on that guitar, but the idea would work equally well with three SSL-1 or 57/62, and a single coil sized humbucker.

• I just received a Korina Warmoth strat with canary neck using gold lace sensor pickups. I was a die hard Les Paul humbucker fan (still am).......I really really like the variation that a strat provides. Did I mention how much I like it? More than I thought I would. I would check out your local craigslist and other options for a warmoth (and other quality options) to compare. Licensed by Fender, but without a Fender price. I have now been forced to go back through profiles that sound totally new with the strat. I am very pleased with the sonic ear pleasure the strat has brought me.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup: