If you use your nails for picking, check this out

• For right hand picking technique I really like using just my fingers and nails. A lot of guys do. Something about the combination of flesh and bone touching the strings, gives a nice tone variable and feels natural and connected. But the problem is those steel strings just tear up my nails. Tried all the usual stuff, nail hardener, acrylics, etc. Acrylics work but don't last very long. Then I saw this:

http://www.ultimatefingerpick.com

This is a relatively new company. They only make medium sizes now, will be adding more sizes later. Just ordered 4 and should get them tomorrow. If they work they'll be heaven sent. Will report back.

Maybe I should've posted this under Other Gear ... please move if needed.

BTW, I am not affiliated with any music company, just another player.

Edited once, last by MLScola ().

• Got a set of four Ultimate Fingerpicks on Friday.

First thing: this is definitely a great idea. The feel is very close to playing "au naturel". And the hole at the end lets you touch the string, keeping that real flesh and nail feel. Plus you never have to worry about breaking a nail again.

If you have slender fingers, I think you'll love them. And if they ever make 'em in Extra Large, I'd definitely buy another set.

But right now they are only available in Medium which is much too small for my fat fingers (for reference my index is 2-5/8"). I tried cutting recommended expansion slits in one fingerpick to see if I could tolerate the pressure. It helped but only for a short period of time.

The Ultimate Fingerpick is a relatively new company so it may be a long time before they start making all the needed sizes. Personally I hope their business is successful so I can be a repeat customer.

• Would you address some concerns I have? :)

Aren't the "nails" too far from the fingertips, as it seems from the video?

If you make them too short (or when they just wear out) can you replace the nails alone?

Would you say the thumb's nail is placed in an unusual (hence uncomfortable) position for those who are not accustomed to a thumbpic and always use their naked thumb?

Thanks for your time :thumbup:

• Hey Viabcroce,
    The nail material is trimmable so you can cut the length and shape it just like a normal nail. I cut mine to about an 1/8 of an inch plus I round the ends.

Replaceable nails? No, I'm pretty sure you'd have to buy another set. Don't know how long they'd last. That's a good question, tho.

They don't make a thumbnail version yet, just fingers. I'm like you, I prefer "naked" thumb. But I spoke to Gus, the owner of Ultimate Fingerpick, and he said they're looking into making one sometime in the future.

V, I'd caution you to check the circumference of all your fingers at the first knuckle. Like I posted earlier, my fingers are too big for their medium size. Only my pinky (2-1/8") would fit comfortably. I'd say you want to use 2-1/8" as the max size, otherwise they're going to be too tight.

All this said, they did work great for as long as I could stand the pain. Can barely wait for the extra large.

• Thanks dude! On their site's video I had seemed to see a "thumb" as well, but after your specification I saw it again... and the guy is wearing a traditional thumbpick :D

What about suggesting selling individual fingers as well (as a replacement) next time you hear them? :thumbup: