Who is using/has used a 10" monitor/powered speaker onstage with a band?

• Title pretty much sums it up--I'm in a pretty loud rock band and I love the 10" form factor. QSC K10 and the Yamaha DXR10 in particular. I plan on trying them out but as we all know it's really tough to tell anything about stage gear until you are on stage at volume. Who is using these live--even better, who is using just one of these live onstage with a loud band/drummer?

• I play with a VERY loud drummer, my DXR10 gets through just fine - I use it on a pole stand. I also own the K10 and prefer the DXR10 btw. Now one thing I've been noticing is that a lot of venues rely on the guitar amp for the guitar sound at the very front of the stage, which in my case isn't there because my DXR10 is pointed at me from the side of the stage and aimed at the rest of the band as well. I'm having to bug the manager at one of the venues to solve the problem installing some extra speakers or lowering their current PA speakers. First world problems I guess :D

• I use a DXR10 on an amp stand as a backline solution when there's no decent PA. If there is, I use it as a monitor a bit like Deny. I play in a couple of bands: a soul/funk band which isn't very loud, and a original rock band that has a very loud drummer. I have no problems cutting through and haven't even got close to the volume limits of the DXR10.

• I used a K10 for a year or so. Good monitor, but somewhat boomy on the bottom and strident on top, with a somewhat empty feel to the pick attack. Jay Mitchell's tweeter mod helped with the attack issue (unfortunately his 2011 post is now deleted from the Fractal website, but here's my report). But once I got my CLR the choice was obvious. If I had to give up my CLR I'd probably give the DXR10 a shot.

• We side wash our amps live- our bass player has a GK 800 watt amp with 2 1-15 cabs and our keyboardist uses a Behringer KX1200 - they are both pointed at me from across the stage. I use either a Bose L1 (with one sub) or a DXR10 aimed at them. I've used the Bose for a couple of years, but got the Yamaha to simplify setup for multi-band gigs (one piece is much simpler than four). I've been using the Yamaha for more gigs than I expected - it throws across the stage more like a conventional guitar speaker than the Bose. It can keep up with the bass and keyboard rigs and the drums without a problem.

I got an interesting comment recently from a Sound Tech at one of our regular club gigs. I was using the Yamaha (side washed, and on its side like a monitor) at a gig where I usually side wash the Bose - he said the Yamaha bled into the vocal microphones much less than the Bose does when it is side washed. He said my guitar sounded much bigger in the mains when I use the Yamaha.

• I got an interesting comment recently from a Sound Tech at one of our regular club gigs. I was using the Yamaha (side washed, and on its side like a monitor) at a gig where I usually side wash the Bose - he said the Yamaha bled into the vocal microphones much less than the Bose does when it is side washed. He said my guitar sounded much bigger in the mains when I use the Yamaha.

Interesting! But actually not really surprising thinking about the difference between the Bose and the Yamaha.