Should I buy a second one ?

• I play a Kemper Power rack for six months now
    and I'm very happy with it.
    Sold my Tube amps ( Bogners Anyversary xtc and a Shiva el34head ) becourse I didnt use them anymore .
    Now I'm playing in two bands and I need another amp and again I have some doubts.
    Should I Buy me a second Power rack, or buy a tube amp as my second amp?
    I play Blues/ rock and some seventies stuff and spotted a Engl Retro 100 head for only 750 euro's.
    Are there many other players that sold there tube amps for life gigs?

• Maybe questions like this should be accompanied by info such as annual income, house owner or not, marital status, tax deducability, etc... Don't take advice from the internet at face value! :)

Unless you're loaded I'd get a regular amp. You can always bring the kemper to live shows of either band if you want (I guess it's for rehearsals with band 2 you need the other one - to avoid lugging the KPA back and forth?)

• Maybe questions like this should be accompanied by info such as annual income, house owner or not, marital status, tax deducability, etc... Don't take advice from the internet at face value! :)

Unless you're loaded I'd get a regular amp. You can always bring the kemper to live shows of either band if you want (I guess it's for rehearsals with band 2 you need the other one - to avoid lugging the KPA back and forth?)

I agree. :D The profiler is light enough to be carried from one band to the other one.
    I would spend that money for some other gear...

• After a bit of a love session with my KPA yesterday, I said to my partner "pretty sure I won't have to buy a different amp ever again", she said she wanted to record that and I said go ahead...

I did have in my mind I'll probably buy another KPA in the future (it's not different!) as I work away a lot and it would be good to get a rack version so I can put it in a small road case and then in my suitcase (when funds allow).

• I play Blues/ rock and some seventies stuff and spotted a Engl Retro 100 head for only 750 euro's.

You could always profile that head and save yourself 750 euros. Then again, it'll never be 100% the same. Maybe 99.9%, but not 100%. After all, given the way valves work and their finicky nature, damn things could change everytime you play them. Plus, what if you change the valves?

If you have cash to splash, I don't see anything wrong with buying a couple of really nice amps. I'm pretty sure no amp is a one-trick pony: everything about a tone is dependent on the context you're using it in, which is why I'm so fascinated by the stock profiles on the Kemper and don't delete them. But I think the Kemper you have should cover you for a few years, no need to be adventurous if you aren't sure what future obligations you might have.

I feel the same way about collecting stomp boxes. One man's sh*tty sound and equipment could be another man's tool to fame and fortune, stardom and all those girls that seem to have no other purpose in life than to induct you and your entire family into some kind of weird cult. ^^

Thanks Michael! ( and all you guys for the answers )
    That's The same conclusion I made.
    I don't have a lot af money so I bought me a cheaper second amp ( Engl retro 100 for a very low price )
    This also will be my backup till the new Kemper model comes out next year :D

• Yes, thats what I hoped for to, but it isn't.
    After playing my new Engl Retro 100 amp I felt the negative problems when playing with a regular tube amp again.
    Tube amps are heavy ass hell and I have to use my big stomp box pedalboard with all the cables again.
    Also they have a 'one single amp character ' and sound wile the Kemper has 'every' type and all sounds you put in.
    II still can't believe its true, but I really prefere the Kemper for life gigs above my (sold) Bogner XTC and Shiva amps and again the same thing happens with my latest Engl Retro.
    My second amp is gonna be a second Power rack profiler ! :)

Edited once, last by Dorrus ().

• See this is currently my debate...I have the lunchbox non powered model (bought it before the rack/power rack was available) and now I have the funds to purchase another, but my main reason would be to put a power rack version in the rack and take the lunchbox model home for recording, whilst I can still leave one in the rack for gigging. Although the procrastination could be overwhelming :P

• See this is currently my debate...I have the lunchbox non powered model (bought it before the rack/power rack was available) and now I have the funds to purchase another, but my main reason would be to put a power rack version in the rack and take the lunchbox model home for recording, whilst I can still leave one in the rack for gigging. Although the procrastination could be overwhelming :P

If you already have a means for using the current KPA in your live setup (i.e. separate power amp), you could always use amp sims for recording your tracks - that would give you the DI in the DAW - and then reamp for a better tone when bringing the KPA home every once in a while :)

• If you already have a means for using the current KPA in your live setup (i.e. separate power amp), you could always use amp sims for recording your tracks - that would give you the DI in the DAW - and then reamp for a better tone when bringing the KPA home every once in a while :)

See that's the issue I don't have a poweramp, at the moment we have a 12U rack so space is pretty tight. Also the rack stays in our rehearsal room 40 miles away