Share noise gate solutions for high gain profiles?

• This is currently the last thing i'm battling with to be 100% happy with my live sound :)

I'm finding that for any profile, to play at gig volume levels i have to have quite extreme noise gate settings in order to avoid feedback. These settings mean a reduction in tone and actually make playing some parts quite difficult.

Currently i'm using a 2:1 gate first in the stomp chain (nothing else in chain) with a threshold of 7.6. Would prefer to avoid the global gate as i don't want my clean profiles affected.

NOTE: I'm aware this isn't strictly a KPA issue. Any high gain solution requires gating, i'm just interested to find out what other users are doing.

• True, not (necessarily) strictly KPA-related. Some guitars are much proner to feedback, you might want to check that your PUs are properly waxed.
    Does it happen with any PU combination? It might be just one of them as well

HTH

• A properly set global gate in the Kemper should not adversely affect tone of your clean settings. I find that for heavily distorted sounds, a 4:1 local gate after the distortion stomp does wonders.

• I'm finding that for any profile, to play at gig volume levels i have to have quite extreme noise gate settings in order to avoid feedback.

I assume you're talking about microphonic 'squeals' - and not the good kind of feedback.
    Even though your pickups are completely covered in epoxy, they can still be microphonic if and when a small piece of that epoxy breaks off. I seem to remember something similar happening a few years ago (different forum, different company)

A microphonic pickup must be fixed at the source, not with a noise gate.
    can you try with another guitar?

• I assume you're talking about microphonic 'squeals' - and not the good kind of feedback.
    Even though your pickups are completely covered in epoxy, they can still be microphonic if and when a small piece of that epoxy breaks off. I seem to remember something similar happening a few years ago (different forum, different company)

A microphonic pickup must be fixed at the source, not with a noise gate.
    can you try with another guitar?

Yes. Theres no problem with the guitar/pickups, its just the normal reaction to a loud high gain guitar.

• I play with some very distorted tones and have no feedback. I use Kent Armstrong broiler pickups on a seven string. My setup is as follows:

Guitar
    DBX 166 XL Gate/Compressor - Set pretty tight on the gate
    WAH
    Overdrive
    (Blank)
    Gate 4:1 - Set this at 5
    STACK
    Parametric EQ
    Mono Loop - Back into the second channel of the DBX 166 XL with a loose gate and a sustaining compressor
    Delay - If needed
    Reverb - I actually do not use much reverb but if you do want some lift use the small room ER and set the time very short.

* The mono loop can be substituted for another 4:1 Gate at a .3 setting

My overall big knob noise gate is set at 5.80

I practice in a small room with tons of feedback fields and with these settings the guitar stops when I stop and I hear no degradation in tone. Also, there is a recent thread on Djent tones that has great insight on how often those players gate and compress. I know it seems like overkill, but the necessary for max gain and max volume with the ability to stop tight.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.”

• Thats a LOT of gating. I'm amazed your tone is still audible at all given how hard i find playing with just one KPA gate on.

• It is very audible. If you look into some of the groups like Meshuggah and Periphery, (although they use an Axe FX) they are using a slight gate at different stages rather than one gate at an extreme setting. Thats how it is able to still produce high volumes at high gain with little noise.

Try the chain out and see if it helps. The thread I mentioned is called Quest for Djent.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.”