Wah wah drops the volume

• Ok.

I have now started to use the wah-wah effect in the Kemper, and I must say when I turned it on I think it was terrible... Then I searched this forum and found this thread: Wah settings - I eat my words , so I started to tune the settings and finally I got something I could use.

But there is a thing I don't understand. Why is there a volume drop when I turn on the wah-wah. Do others in here experience the same thing? Now I have to add a clean boost in the X slot to get the tone back to a decent level. I know the wah-wah effect has a volume setting but this setting will increase the overdrive/boost and I don't want to do that.

PS: There should be a way to activate the a "volume to wah" setting when a wah effect is active. Then an expression pedal can be volume pedal until a wha-wha effect is activated and no fiddling inside a menu to do this.

• - I can't say I've had this issue.

- The Kemper's wah can be set to a wider range of frequencies than you might expect, so it's very easy to have part of the pedal's sweep happen in an inaudible frequency range.

- If the Wah is dropping volume, for whatever reason, then turning up the volume setting a bit shouldn't affect your overdrive.

- About the volume-to-wah... according to the reference manual, this is what the Volume To Wah setting is for. System menu, MIDI settings... you should only have to set it once, and then it'll work any time there's a wah stomp on.

• As a digital device, the Profiler sees the act of turning on and off an effect to be as simple as choosing a different performance, rather than activating or deactivating different FX within a single performance or profile.

As mentioned, volume-to-wah will work like this. If you need both wah and volume control at the same time, you'll have to add a second expression pedal.

• I know the wah-wah effect has a volume setting but this setting will increase the overdrive/boost and I don't want to do that.

The exact same thing will happen with an analog wah in front of an amp.

The volume on the Kemper wah is just that. Volume. As the wah shaves the signal into a narrow frequency range, it will appear lower. You'll have to raise the level somewhat to get the same apparent loudness. Analog wahs also do this. This may likely result in more distortion in parts of the sweep though, as this raised narrow signal pushes the amp more.

• - I can't say I've had this issue.
    - About the volume-to-wah... according to the reference manual, this is what the Volume To Wah setting is for. System menu, MIDI settings... you should only have to set it once, and then it'll work any time there's a wah stomp on.

The manual says:

If you don’t use a volume pedal very often, press “Volume Pedal to Wah”. Now, when a Wah effect is active on the current rig, the wah pedal will act as expected, and a volume pedal function will not be available.

Note: we do not support the swapping of pedal functions by switching a Wah effect on and off, as this would cause problems. Besides, you’ll get a better result by selecting one of our dedicated pedal modes that automatically activate the Wah effect as soon as you move the wah pedal.

Doesn't this mean that if the wah effect is on when you enter a rig it will "swap" the pedals. If the wah effect is off when you enter and then turn it on it will not "swap" the pedals. I want the swapping to be linked to when I turn the effect on and off, not changing the rig...

The volume on the Kemper wah is just that. Volume. As the wah shaves the signal into a narrow frequency range, it will appear lower. You'll have to raise the level somewhat to get the same apparent loudness. Analog wahs also do this. This may likely result in more distortion in parts of the sweep though, as this raised narrow signal pushes the amp more.

Okay, so I have to boost the volume somewhere in the signal chain then. Thanks.

• I use the volume to wah feature 100% of the time. If you are in a rig that has a wah in the chain, and the wah is turned on and active, the expression pedal is a wah pedal. As soon as you turn off the wah pedal it reverts to a volume pedal.

This can be programmed to work with the toe switch etc so that it feels like a normal guitar wah pedal. That's how I use it, I keep a wah locked in slot A and use the toe switch on the pedal to turn slot A on/off.

So if you switch from a rig that has an active wah working and it's turned on, to a rig with no wah, then it will automatically revert to being a volume pedal. Once you use it in action, it's pretty easy to understand and get the hang of it.

One note, when changing from wah to volume, you typically need to sweep the pedal to max to pass back through where the volume pedal was when you jumped to using the wah. Then the volume pedal kicks in again, so don't be surprised to have to do this. It's kind of like a multiple-purpose rotary knob where you have to pass back through a previous value for it to kick in again.

Hope this helps.
    Sean

• OP, there's absolutely no difference when using the wah volume or adding a boost. The signsl gain is linear in both. Unless you want to boost the volume after the amp, of course.
    :)

• I use the volume to wah feature 100% of the time. If you are in a rig that has a wah in the chain, and the wah is turned on and active, the expression pedal is a wah pedal. As soon as you turn off the wah pedal it reverts to a volume pedal.

So if you switch from a rig that has an active wah working and it's turned on, to a rig with no wah, then it will automatically revert to being a volume pedal. Once you use it in action, it's pretty easy to understand and get the hang of it.

Yesterday night I tested the “Volume Pedal to Wah” option a little more. Just for the record I use a Gordius Little Giant pedal with an expression pedal attached. I did found out that it works as you all describe in here, and its perfect. So I really don't understand the manual when it says "we do not support the swapping of pedal functions by switching a Wah effect on and off, as this would cause problems", so DNRTFM :D

OP, there's absolutely no difference when using the wah volume or adding a boost. The signsl gain is linear in both. Unless you want to boost the volume after the amp, of course.

Yes I was talking about adding boost after the amp to avoid a more "dirty" sound. But yesterday I noticed that it all depends a lot on the wah settings. The wah is a little tricky to set up in the first place, since small changes in the parameters can do a lot with the sound. It was much easier to dial in the tone and volume when using one of the factory presets.

Thanks a lot for all your help. I'm still a happy kemper :D

• Yesterday night I tested the “Volume Pedal to Wah” option a little more. Just for the record I use a Gordius Little Giant pedal with an expression pedal attached. I did found out that it works as you all describe in here, and its perfect. So I really don't understand the manual when it says "we do not support the swapping of pedal functions by switching a Wah effect on and off, as this would cause problems", so DNRTFM :D

I guess it's working as the manual says. You don't have a wah effect on/off, you have to switch to a different performance in order for it to become active/inactive. :whistling:

• I guess it's working as the manual says. You don't have a wah effect on/off, you have to switch to a different performance in order for it to become active/inactive. :whistling:

I'm sorry to say that this is not what I have experienced. I have the wah effect in "slot a". When I turn "slot a" on by pressing the "a" button, the pedal works as a wah, when I turn "slot a" off, my pedal works as a volume pedal. I do not change rig...

• Apologies, when you said voume pedal to wah, I assumed you were doing just that. Just went through the manual. What it says is, "We do not support the swapping of pedal functions by switching a Wah effect on and off, as this would cause problems. Besides, you’ll get a better result by selecting one of our dedicated pedal modes that automatically activate the Wah effect as soon as you move the wah pedal."

It says this in the same section too: "The Kemper Profiler automatically prevents volume dips when switching from a “Wah pedal” rig to a “Volume pedal” rig, so you will need to reset the pedal after the rig change by first pressing it to toe position. Once you have done this, you will be able to smoothly fade the volume back to where you want it."

There's also this cryptic note: "Once the Volume pedal or Pitch pedal is linked to the wah pedal, they cannot be accessed by their respective midi controllers or pedal input destinations."

I think this is why there'll be a problem, as there might be some kind of conflict between the wah state and volume state. So if you stop half-way, what happens to volume? What happens to wah? Away from my Kemper, so I can't check. You should be able to achieve your desired results with volume>wah, maybe someone from Kemper can let us know what the undesirable effects might be.

• I am not a user of Wah, only used autowah on my G-force sometimes. But i have noticed the same! its very big volumedrop when moving the pedal. I have not gone into settings, but as it is now its useless, because it would have drowned in the mix