Balancing input sense settings for multiple guitars

• Ingolf says>This balance should be easily created by using the cleans sens exclusively.

So how would you go about that with 10 guitars?

Really interested to get specifics here please.

• Ingolf says>This balance should be easily created by using the cleans sens exclusively.

So how would you go about that with 10 guitars?

Really interested to get specifics here please.

Like in real life, I'd dial in the clean sens with the guitar that runs the hottest pickups.
    All weaker PU's will be in relation to that which is perfectly natural.

• The Sens controls do more than just this tho. Unlike real amps, you can determine how aggressive a guitar becomes when increasing the gain, and how the levels compare at different gains. A facility I'd be keen to keep IIWM
    :)

• So you'd use all other guitars with this CS setting….ok, that echoes some of the other opinions in this this thread.

But then what would you do with DS Ingolf?

Like in real life, I'd dial in the clean sens with the guitar that runs the hottest pickups.
    All weaker PU's will be in relation to that which is perfectly natural.

• The Sens controls do more than just this tho. Unlike real amps, you can determine how aggressive a guitar becomes when increasing the gain, and how the levels compare at different gains. A facility I'd be keen to keep IIWM

Yes, of course.
    And if you use only ONE guitar you can tailor it so that it can be better at different tasks.

• But then what would you do with DS Ingolf?

I'd only use distortion sense when I came to a gig, my guitar was broken and I was handed a spare guitar with much hotter or weaker pickups than the ones of my own guitar.
    Then I would adjust DS to make up for it.

• I'd only use distortion sense when I came to a gig, my guitar was broken and I was handed a spare guitar with much hotter or weaker pickups than the ones of my own guitar.
    Then I would adjust DS to make up for it.

Ingolf, that might be good if I only had one guitar, but I would never adjust input settings on stage…too much stress and opportunity for delay and mess-ups in a gig when the rest of the band is waiting for me. My brain would probably go into overload.

As I said in my first post, I always have several guitars with me, so I would never need to "borrow" one with an unknown level.

It kinda seems that the initial point has been lost, how to balance the input settings for multiple guitars that I have already got input presets for, so that I can play any guitar with any rig and get predictable results from the stomp chain.

• Ingolfs tip is the best.
    Use Clean Sens that way.

Don't use Distorted Sens if you use multiple guitars.
    Better tweak the rig to fit the guitar it belongs to.

CK, I really don't have the capacity to "tweak" rigs on the fly in gigs., and honestly…I don't want to have a different rig for each guitar I use…Any gig I play, I can pick up one of at least three guitars depending on how I want the song to feel or which guitar takes my fancy at the moment. It takes enough brain power to remember to select the correct input preset.

So if you are saying that DS should stay constant for multiple guitars, what do you suggest that setting should be???

I'd really love to hear from other members who play live with multiple guitars…..how do you guys handle it, especially if you're flexible in which guitar you use with each rig. I can't believe I'm the only one who does that.

I love my KPA, but this is the one thing that's caused me the most headaches (and stress) over the last couple of years.

• CK, I really don't have the capacity to "tweak" rigs on the fly in gigs., and honestly…I don't want to have a different rig for each guitar I use…

Then don't do it, but accept that a different guitar will sound different with a given rig, like in reality any amp would sound different with another guitar.;)

Any gig I play, I can pick up one of at least three guitars depending on how I want the song to feel or which guitar takes my fancy at the moment. It takes enough brain power to remember to select the correct input preset.

If you cannot commit to a certain guitar for a given rig and rely on fancying what to use at the moment you will inevitably have to live with a possible result that you don't consider optimal considering the rig/guitar combination.

I'd really love to hear from other members who play live with multiple guitars…..how do you guys handle it, especially if you're flexible in which guitar you use with each rig. I can't believe I'm the only one who does that

TBH I've been following the traditional route, as advised in the manuals and in endless discussions here on the forum during the years (see wikpa.org).

I use 4 electric guitars ATM. For each of them I set CS so that the input never clips, DS so I can determine how much distortion I get when gain or volume increases and the relative sound levels, and save the setting as a preset. I switch preset according on the guitar I use. Simply that. Sometimes I don't switch at all, and get a "different" guitar :D

Also, Eng. Kemper has explained why the Sense controls have been designed and introduced, and it seemed a great idea to me from the very beginning, specially as regards overcoming other digital devices' flaws again, see wikpa.org).

I second what others have already suggested: if you don't know how to deal with it, I'd leave DS flat.

• Ingolf says > If you cannot commit to a certain guitar for a given rig and rely on fancying what to use at the moment you will inevitably have to live with a possible result that you don't consider optimal considering the rig/guitar combination.

That's just what I want…just like when I play through an amp.

Perhaps what messes me up is the settings of the STOMPS chain.

I'm reasonably happy with the settings I have for ALL my guitars individually until I start enabling some stomps, in particular the GS, Clean Boost of Comp. they behave very differently on some guitars. Much more so than their analog counterparts.

I do understand how and why the senses settings work and I can set the for individual guitars to my satisfaction until the stomps become part of the equation.

But just one more question…Ingolf says leave DS "neutral", and viabcroce says leave it "flat"…….do you mean -12dB or 0dB

Anyway, I think I've beaten this to death a bit, thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to try the single input setting and see how that works.

• Ingolf says > If you cannot commit to a certain guitar for a given rig and rely on fancying what to use at the moment you will inevitably have to live with a possible result that you don't consider optimal considering the rig/guitar combination.

That's just what I want…just like when I play through an amp.

Ok, then you'll have no problem.

Perhaps what messes me up is the settings of the STOMPS chain.

I'm reasonably happy with the settings I have for ALL my guitars individually until I start enabling some stomps, in particular the GS, Clean Boost of Comp. they behave very differently on some guitars. Much more so than their analog counterparts.

I do understand how and why the senses settings work and I can set the for individual guitars to my satisfaction until the stomps become part of the equation.

You're right, some stomps may behave differently so that some guitars become a bit more unpredictable as they are with amps.

But just one more question…Ingolf says leave DS "neutral", and viabcroce says leave it "flat"…….do you mean -12dB or 0dB

Neutral /flat is 0 dB. No attenuation, no boost. ;)

• So its been 4 months since this thread was opened.
    After taking everything here into consideration I decided to simplify everything. I set my CS for my hottest guitar (+2dB) and my DS fairly neutral (-2dB) and left them there.
    I've done about 15 gigs since then with multiple guitars and not touched the settings at all.
    Much happier and less stressed on stage because of this.
    Thanks for all the input guys.