Has anyone compared a Yamaha Dsr112 to an Atomic Clr?

• I have never heard, nor do I own a CLR. I do own a pair of DSR112's that I use for my PA (and playing around at home with my Kemper).

I go straight into the PA with the band and we all use IEM's, so I have no need for floor wedges.

What I will say in support of the DSR's is that they are a very prolific speaker, are well liked across the board (I have never heard anyone who has heard them or who has owned them say anything negative about them), and in all my years of reading forums (both guitar and live sound forums), I haven't heard of a single failure of any DSR112 speaker.

I have personally abused my speakers (on accident). I was mixing from side stage one night and unknown to me, the sensitivity on one speaker (the one opposite where I was mixing from) was pegged high. This resulted in the speaker being operated at limit for an entire set. I noticed it when walking around the room, but didn't figure it out until the set was over.

Not only did the speaker not have any damage, it sounded quite good running with a solid red clip light.

I think that any small difference in sound you may get from a CLR to a DSR could likely be equalized out to be nearly impossible to hear.

The reliability and repair / replacement capabilities of the DSR would be more important to me.

Just my 2 cents.

• I've never tried a DSR, but I trust you about its qualities :)

You should not estimate a cab by just evaluating its frequency response tho. There's more than this.

EDIT. For example, and talking about EQ exclusively, I found in my documentation this statement by Mr. Mitchell:

Not all deviations from ideal response are equalizable. Some FRFR speakers have substantial response variations depending on your location relative to the speaker. Equalizing the response to flat at one location may actually make it worse at other locations.

:)

• You are using the CLR's free field ("FF") switch selection then, correct? If not, then you should do so. The "BL" setting is only appropriate for placement of the speaker on the floor.

Hi. To be honest I can't recall. I know I flicked between settings that night during the comparison. I think I actually preferred the BL setting, but I can't recall for sure. I know I tried both, however I simply preferred the DSR's.

• Good idea! Let's do it sometime, after my holidays.
    I'm not in need (and neither in the mood) to invest in another high- price solution ATM. What about you?

Do it. DO IT! :D

How come you only listened when Guenter asked you and not when I did two pages back? You're our resident shoot-out champeen ^^

The DSR is more easily available where I live than the CLR, so I have a keen interest in the results of your experimentation :thumbup:

• Do it. DO IT! :D

How come you only listened when Guenter asked you and not when I did two pages back? You're our resident shoot-out champeen ^^

The DSR is more easily available where I live than the CLR, so I have a keen interest in the results of your experimentation :thumbup:

Hey man, read again... ;)
    I'm still, like I told you before, happy with what I have and therefore have near to zero initiative to invest in another cab.
    I was only reading Guenter's post as a hint that he himself 'might' be interested...
    We shall see. :)

• Correcting factual errors is not being "dogmatic." To someone who is not knowledgeable in a field - especially when the individual believes (s)he possesses such knowledge - it may seem so, however. The greatest problem is being unaware of what you don't know.

Absolutely agreed on this point, but that is not what I was meaning to say.
    My context was different, and I hoped that became clear through my lengthy post. ;)

• Good idea! Let's do it sometime, after my holidays.
    I'm not in need (and neither in the mood) to invest in another high- price solution ATM. What about you?

I'm not really in need of something, I'm just curious. ;)

On tours I normally use my KPA without any speakers (main sym. out direct to desk / UE-11 Pro inears). Sometimes when I play in smaller venues I still prefer tube-amps and my pedals.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• I see what you mean Ingolf, but this seems to me like discussing of angels' gender, as we say in Italy :D
    Also, I can't but notice that you just dismissed my long post through just a single, small word... LOL

In my mind, "the best linear cab" and "the most linear cab" are synonimous, since the main way a linear cab can be good is to be ... linear and trasparent. Note I'd never write such a thing for a guitar, a guitar amp or cab. Dogmatic would be, in my mind and by definition, "I like this one best, so it is the best and you have to agree".
    The CLR has got the greatest specs on the market, and sounds very well. That's all for me.

These may be nuances in expression and/or choice of words and English is not our native language neither for you or for me, but I don't remember the question being about the best linear cab or even the most linear cab.
    Questions I have seen are worded 'best cab', 'is this cab x or y suited for the Kemper' etc.
    When dealing with what is important about a FRFR solution it is of course important to present the facts (flatness, linearity) but other than that it is about trying and evaluating options which is a process every potential FRFR user needs to do himself.

As a side note, you know I consider you a pretty balanced and mature person and respect what you think :)

Same to you, and I appreciate the sidenote. ;)

OTOH, I would not agree on your parallel about what engineers choose being relevant, just along the line of reasoning you have used yourself: just necause you don't have to mix using the most linear cab available, but instead mix with what makes you feel more at ease, and what your experience tells you your mixes will translate best with. Which brings me back to were I started from: use whatever makes you happy, but do not bash a good product ("the CLR is boomy/noisy/scooped/veiled" etc... I've read any kind of things on the Net).

Again this may be due to something getting lost in a language barrier, but I still find my analogy with the mixing engineers as good as it gets:
    Be aware of how your gear works, if it has shortcomings that make your work difficult learn to overcome them or change the gear.
    Mixing engineers work this way all the time, producers as well.
    Sometimes you even build from limitations.

I'm not commenting the whole 'religious' part as I feel this is exaggerating a bit.

Saluti da Marche! ;)

• I'm not really in need of something, I'm just curious. ;)

On tours I normally use my KPA without any speakers (main sym. out direct to desk / UE-11 Pro inears). Sometimes when I play in smaller venues I still prefer tube-amps and my pedals.

Hahaha, sollen wir zusammenschmeissen für die Yamaha- Box. ;)

• I'd love to get a CLR. After trying a friends unit with the Kemper, it sounded great, no question. At this point though, I'd have to get rid of my amp as I don't want to tie up more $$$. I just can't do that since I really like my amp as well. So, I run the Kemper through the tube amp and be done with it. One those days I don't want to use the Kemper, I have a great tube amp waiting in the wings.

That being said, for finding something local and much easier to demo for me, if I do decided to go FRFR....then I'll probably check into the DSR 12 or the Mackie HD1221.

The other options for me is what I am currently going to do....get a smaller and lighter weight combo that I can deal with (and my back and shoulder like better!) and then keep some of the returned $$$ aside for an FRFR solution. That way I can work within my budget to get what I need from both the combo and the Kemper as needed.

Edited once, last by PBGas ().

• I haven't tried the Atomic but on the rehearsal yesterday I tried the Yamaha DSR 112. We are going to use DSR speakers as our main PA speakers so I grabbed one and tried it directly together with the Kemper.

And "holy macaroni" the DSR112 are really great speakers! I think it was the greatest guitar sound I ever had. If you play in a rock band and feel that you really need the 4x12 cab to "move enough air". I think two DSR112 will eat a 4x12 cab for lunch :D

It is great to know that we are going to use these DSR112 as our PA, then I know our audience will get great guitar sound (we all use IEM on stage).

• I haven't tried the Atomic but on the rehearsal yesterday I tried the Yamaha DSR 112. We are going to use DSR speakers as our main PA speakers so I grabbed one and tried it directly together with the Kemper.

And "holy macaroni" the DSR112 are really great speakers! I think it was the greatest guitar sound I ever had. If you play in a rock band and feel that you really need the 4x12 cab to "move enough air". I think two DSR112 will eat a 4x12 cab for lunch :D

It is great to know that we are going to use these DSR112 as our PA, then I know our audience will get great guitar sound (we all use IEM on stage).

If a DSR112 isn't loud enough ..... it is likely you have some serious hearing damage ;) The DSR112 is a very powerful speaker. I use these for my PA over a pair of PRX618S-XLF's. I think the DSR112 could actually hang with a pair of XLF's. They are built like a tank too.

We also use IEM's on stage, but I really love the sound of the FOH with my Kemper when I wander out front in practice. That is one fine sound for sure. Sometimes it is hard to quit dinking around and get practicing. I swear I could just listen to it all day long :)

• I plan on getting a couple of DSR112s to play through at home and to use as mains for small jobs. (I use IEMs for live monitoring, but I would use a 112 for gigs where IEMs aren't practical.)

For what it's worth, the DSR112s are getting rave reviews on live audio message boards. A lot of folks are saying that they are better than some their higher end (more expensive) counterparts.