Saffire 24 PRO DSP, no sound from Kemper

• Howdy all

I haven't used my Saffire 24 Pro DSP for a while as an interface for Kemper. Today I connected Kemper with SPDIF to Saffire. Signal comes to Saffire, but no sound in interface output (DAW1, DAW2 shows no signal) nor in headphones. Kemper headphones-out works. Windows audio works on both interface output and interface headphones.

I tried all routing preset options and no sound from Kemper.

[Blocked Image: http://s11.postimg.org/p6qsazs1v/aaa.jpg]

Any on you use Safiire 24 pro firewire?

Thanks

• it looks as if you haven't turned up the SPDIF's fader.

right! :)

also, make sure you turn down the Master Volume on your Saffire (right now it's all the way up) that's gonna be LOUD!!!

I suggest keeping the Master Levels always at a 'normal' value - especially if there's no signal coming through. It's never really the Master Volume that is the issue, but when you find the culprit you'll blast yourself (bad) or a whole bunch of people (even worse) with painful levels of sound.

• Sorry if this is a stupid answer but it looks as if you haven't turned up the SPDIF's fader.

Well maybe stupid, but working 8) Really don't know how this happened. I never got into this Saffire mixcontrol software since all was working fine to this day. I started to play through Kemper directly connected to monitors for some time, since I have some poppping and crackling when playing with Kemper <=> Saffire => monitors.

Thanks guys!

• I ordered this a few days ago ($219, couldn't pass it up) and have heard great things, but also problems using Firewire with Windows 7 on a PC.

Coming from a Presonus FP10 which has buttons that can allow 2 sets of monitors to be used without turning on the PC.

I hope I can hook this new Audio Interface for 2 sets of monitors. Seems like dedicated boxes for dealing with multiple monitors are very expensive. Don't know why, just seem like ports and passive volume knobs to me. Sounds cheap to make.

• Win7 with firewire interface here - no problems.
    But there should be enough RAM installed, so a 64-Bit system is pretty much mandatory.

Win7 32-bit on 4GB equipped laptop, runs good, except I still get cracks and pops (recent driver and software) in the speaker which are not present while connecting monitors directlly to Kemper. Also monitors volume pot on Saffire generates scratches while turning it left or right.

• Win7 32-bit on 4GB equipped laptop, runs good, except I still get cracks and pops (recent driver and software) in the speaker

I know what you mean.
    That's why I installed 8GB on top of the 4GB that were already present in my machine - then I realized my mistake (still on a 32-Bit system), upgraded to a 64-Bit system and everything was fine.
    No more clicks and pops.

• I know what you mean.
    That's why I installed 8GB on top of the 4GB that were already present in my machine - then I realized my mistake (still on a 32-Bit system), upgraded to a 64-Bit system and everything was fine.
    No more clicks and pops.

Do yuo suggest 4GB of ram is not sufficient for smooth work of this firewire interface? Did you encounter clicks and pops on 32-bit system?

• I got this Unit (Saffire 24 Pro DSP) yesterday. It's "refurbished" and was used as a Demo, from Full Compass.

Because of that, it apparently didn't have the Factory Defaults set, so at first I couldn't get ANY sound through it.

Then I hit Set to Factory Defaults, which apparently raises faders to like 0db and OMG almost blew my speakers out! (and ears)
    (Ok, I KNOW I'm an Amateur, but even THAT was an amateurish move for me, haha)

So I have most things figured out now. Got both sets of monitors going. One set in OUT 1,2 can be controlled with the Monitor Volume knob. The other going OUT 3,4 cannot be controlled by that knob and is full on outputs, so I have it on an external passive Volume box, which is perfect, cause I can now adjust volumes independently and/or switch between them easily.

So far, so good. I like it. There is A LOT to this little box, so I'm really impressed. Just gotta try the SPDIF with the KPA sometime this week and and INPUT's and I'm good to roll with recording.

The PLUS for me is that it seems like it can totally replace my FP10, and I can sell that on Craigslist for what I bought this unit for. Not too shabby, right?

The only hiccup I've seen is that choosing some options causes the visual Mixer to freeze and not smoothly adjust. But I don't expect that to be a problem as once the Mixer is set, I'm working mostly in my Daw, or with the external knobs.

Or do I need another 60GB of RAM? lol

• This was most entertaining , Dennis! Thank you! Glad it is working... ^^

• This was most entertaining , Dennis! Thank you! Glad it is working... ^^

Thanks, Ingolf! I had trouble with SPDIF with my FP10, but I've heard only good things with the Saffire so I expect it will be smooth recording from hear on out! (like the pun?)

• Update:

I got SPDIF up easy as pie (unlike the FP10) and was recording with a clarity that is equal to what I hear in headphones! (friggin FINALLY, geez)

I can say I am VERY content with this Saffire for the ease alone.

I still haven't figured out the MIX software and when I start up I can't get any signals routing right until I hit "Default" on the menu.
    This is similar to the Baby face I had. I don't like the idea of an audio card forcing me to use a software mixer in order to use it, but there it is, and I have a learning curve ahead.

That aside, this is a great little device!