Ambrosi Amps' K-Power Amps - Retrofit poweramp solutions for the Lunchbox - With pictures & videos

• Hahaha, viabcroce! You look very different from what I imagined you did. But the way you speak seems very cultured, I like it! ^^

Look forward to the coming videos, very exciting.

I'd advise you against shooting the rest of your apartment. Ingolf is probably casing the place as I speak. Such a nice display rack on the left for example :D

• Here is the second video. I tried and show the high SPL the K-Power amp can reach. Sadly, we had to realize that the Zoom's mics were not able to give a faithful rendering of the sound levels in the room: the gain on the camera was already at the lowest (fixed) value, but with the Profiler's Master Volume set at 3 the Zoom started distorting already from 2 meters away.
    When the output gets higher from there, the mic distortion increases as well but you can have a rough idea of the sound pressure we experienced. Of course with distortion came compression, so starting from the volume knob @ 3 the sound level grew more than what you can perceive from the video.

Basically, with the cab set @ 4 ohm I couldn't go higher than 2 on the Profiler's Master Volume.
    Note: moving from 2 to 3 to 4 in the Master volume corresponds to moving from -21 dB to -17.4 dB to -14.8.
    I tried - for fun - to set the Master @ 10 and just moved the finger off the strings: this was enough to generate a noise my apartment had never experienced in 20 years of music :o

A suggestion for a more realistic listening experience: set your playback volume so that my voice sounds realistically "in your room" and go from there.

I've to add that the sound quality in the room had nothing to do with what you hear in the video. Remember you're hearing a cab through a room through two cheap mics through your computer through your room.

The K-Power amp worked flawlessly, introducing no noticeable distortion or non-linearities.
    I'm not sure we'll publish other video segments demonstrating different rigs tho: I must admit - and you can clearly tell it by listening to this video - that the Zoom did not succeed in capturing the magic of the Profiler and I feel I'd just make bad publicity to both Kemper and Ambrosi Amps. Trust me, both sounded good, as you would expect :)

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

BTW, if anyone is curious about the riff I play, see here :)

• Great. I wish there was a better way to do this. If you had a wide open space, I think the volume difference as you raised the master volume would be more perceptible. You'd also get better results by moving the Zoom recorder further away, which would prevent its mic from getting overloaded. Nevertheless, I didn't see much difference in the tone as you raised the volume, so a plus point right there.

• Good stuff, Gianfranco, keep them coming!

However, don't worry about what the Kemper sounds like in the video, it's irrelevant, we all own Kempers, we know what it sounds like....we just want to buy the Poweramp! :)

• Great. I wish there was a better way to do this. If you had a wide open space, I think the volume difference as you raised the master volume would be more perceptible. You'd also get better results by moving the Zoom recorder further away, which would prevent its mic from getting overloaded. Nevertheless, I didn't see much difference in the tone as you raised the volume, so a plus point right there.

Yeah, I agree an open space would work better. OTOH, in a closed room, separating the mic from the source more would catch much more ambience and the sound would become boomier and muddier.

Yep, mic distortion apart there's no difference in sound, except for the actual dynamic, which got lost in compression\saturation.

I have to say that there was actually not much to hear tho, the K-Power amp reacted linearly and did not bat an eye, so the sound was all in the cab, as per design.

Good stuff, Gianfranco, keep them coming!

However, don't worry about what the Kemper sounds like in the video, it's irrelevant, we all own Kempers, we know what it sounds like....we just want to buy the Poweramp! :)

Ha ha Lance, thanks dude!
    Let's write privately, we have some things to discuss :)

Great stuff!
    Any estimation about when this will be readily available?

Thanks Ingolfo :)

Andrea took some more time to investigate further, since several Kemper users asked for a stereo version and a more powerful version as well. He's also considering a class-D option for the SPL diehards 8o

Anyway, I hope to be able to give those who are interested some official news before Christmas, maybe in a different section of the forum :)

• Gianfranco, would you say that it will be linear enough to work with a passive FRFR cabinet as well? Think passive CLR or passive Q12 etc... I know it's not the first purpose but it could be a plus.

• Uh-ho... there's a misunderstanding going here 8o
    The K-Power amp is not meant for exclusive use with a guitar cab! It is extremely linear for the purpose (see the specs here), consider it like a Matrix amp or similar devices.
    The original amp's non-linearities are already taken care for in the Profiler, so a linear power amp is all you'd need for using a passive cab.
    If the cab you use is linear you'll have a linear system (like an active PA cab or monitor), if it's a guitar cab you'll get exactly the tone of the profiled amps through your favourite cab, specially now with the new cab separation :thumbup:

Feel free to ask more questions if you have any more doubt :)

• Andrea took some more time to investigate further, since several Kemper users asked for a stereo version and a more powerful version as well. He's also considering a class-D option for the SPL diehards 8o

Anyway, I hope to be able to give those who are interested some official news before Christmas, maybe in a different section of the forum :)

Now that'd be a swell xmas present, 4sure! 8o
    Stereo, mono, more powerful, less powerful, diy kit, whatever! :thumbup: Just let us have it!!!

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.