A better use for volume control using expression pedals

• I have been frustrated using my expression pedal to control volume. If you only use yours in the studio, ignore this post. If you, like me, play in a live band (2 in my case), then this may really help you.

The typical calibration of an expression pedal gives you 0-100% over a very limited foot pedal range, 0% of course also giving you the tuner. Personally this is not very useful, as tuning at the start of a gig usually is good all night, or I can easily re-tune between sets if needed. What you sacrifice with this 0-100% range, which is hardly linear anyway, is the ability to really craft your volume to the crowd. Where I play this grows as the night grows, as does the volume and intensity of the band. Rather than running back to the amp to jack up the master volume (we have no dedicated sound person), the reference manual gave me a much better solution.

Page 30 describes the "volume pedal range," a feature I had overlooked, but won't again. Here's how to use it: Hit the "Rig" button, go to page 3. Adjust the volume pedal range downwards. I am experimenting currently at -1.3 which gives me at the EP heel position about 60-70% of max volume, toe position being 100%. So I start the evening at the heel position, ramp up to toe position as things get rocking, and this actually emulates rather well a true volume pedal versus the limited range of an expression pedal. I then "lock" this setting so it works on all rigs globally, with the exception of wah and pitch pedal rigs.

No, you can't do volume swells with this, but I wouldn't anyhow. I use my fingers and the volume knob for this. This also doesn't apply to rigs with active wah or pitch pedals active, naturally. But those I only use sparingly, so it's not any great loss there. Try it, you may find this helpful, as I did and still do!

Gary ô¿ô

Edited 3 times, last by prsgary ().

• I use the volume-pedal as described above, and have a separate on-off switch connected to the KPA in addition to my FCB1010. On-stage I place the On/Off switch next to my guitar stand. This setup works nicely if you, like me, keep swapping a lot between instruments.

• Hmm.. I'm confused now. I see the dial for Range which goes from -5 to +5. Mine is set at -5, factory default I'm assuming. I read the manual again but can't seem to figure out where this should be set and why.

• I take this thread back (or I would if I could).

This ONLY works well if you use only one preset per song. As soon as you switch to another rig it goes right to max volume so must constantly be at your pedal. I use too many different patches for this to effectively work. If you don't, then this might be for you. It was interesting to learn about it though.

Gary ô¿ô

• I know this feature, but I don't use it:

1) I want to keep the KPA-tuner as it is.
    2) Volume-swells with whole cords are very uncomfortable without a volume-pedal. I'm using the strat-volume-knob for "violin-effects", but not for chords.

If you want to have just a little volume boost, you also can use a different rig or an eq.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• And I've retreated back to the same Guenter, my experiment was just that, an experiment. Not that useful in the end.

Volume knob position varies on different guitars of course, that may be why you don't care for it for whole chords. Mine is handy enough to be effective (PRS). The LP volume knob is in an especially distant location for swells of any kind, unless you've got pretty long fingers LOL, which I don't.

Gary ô¿ô