PA sound - I'm doing something stupid...

• OK, tried to get a decent sound via a PA and all my attempts so far it's very clippy/distorted.

Admitedly I've not had much of a go, but I tried at our rehearsal room and started with very little signal and then the clippy/distorted sound - definitely not eq-able.

It was set to line input. There is a possibility that the channel was faulty but...

I don't have easy access to a PA so have tried to use my mini mixer ( spirit notepad) through headphones and get the same result. Note I don't think I can change the input to line but it has adjustable gain. Will it work trying to use the mini mixer?

When I bought it ( second hand) the chap plugged into a monitor to demo and it sounded fine so I know it's OK, although not sure what output he used though. I've not changed anything much since then..

I did what paults suggested and turned the output to -20db.

So, some questions:

1) Anything obvious I'm not doing right?
    2) Any easy way to test it at home?? I'll try to get a powered monitor.
    3) Should using monitor or main make much difference to the basic sound ( I am getting the same result)

BTW I have read the manual :)

I know this is user error and wonder if it's just a comedy of errors....duff channel and wrong type of input on the mini mixer??

• Have you touched the OUTPUT button?
    That is where you can unlink you outputs to make level adjustments for running it though a FRFR or PA system.
    I run mine into an FRFR monitor through the monitor out. I run the main out to the house system. Both as mono.
    Works great and really sounds outstanding.

• Yep, I've nlinked ands set output to -20db...and fiddled with different volumes...

I'll try to connect to my PC and see what happens as I have an interface at line level..

• Been seeing a lot of these issues of late. What's up?

I suspect it is an issue with many guitar-players not being involved with PA much. In bands who do their own PA from the stage this job usually lands with the bass-player or drummer. Possibly because they have less gear to look after. I have never had problems hooking the KPA up to any mixing console (analogue or digital), or to any computer/recording audio-interface. There's the possibility of an odd broken unit, but beyond that it is just a question of some basic knowledge. Keeping track of the signal-chain in various amp-simulators is very different to just placing a microphone in front of a traditional tube-amp. I've seen many guitarists with such equipment who get their distortion from many other places than the stomp or amp-model they think it originates from.

With Soundcrafts Spirit Notepad OP should be able to experiment with both balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (1/4" jack) outputs from the KPA. Decent sound in a headset connected to the notepad should shouldn't require more than turning the pre-amp level down so that it doesn't clip. This mixer is able to handle signals up to +14dBu on the mic-input and +30dBu on the line-input.

Someone should write up a simple tutorial to give people a better understanding of the signal-path and gain-staging. If the guitar sounds good in a headset connected to the KPA it should also sound good at FOH with only a little tweaking of the KPA-output and channel-gain on the FOH-console. Good mixing-consoles and audio-interfaces have neutral channel-preamps that don't color the sound, but it is still wise to try to balance the output on the KPA so that the mixer's input gain-control can remain close to or just slightly above 0dB. You should try to minimise attenuation and re-amplification in any signal-chain to maintain the best possible S/N-ratio.

As an example: I'm running my KPA through a Behringer X32 rackmount mixer for practise and also at small venues where I handle FOH myself. In this setup I connect the KPA with XLR to a linked pair of channels. The KPA's main volume sits at about -10dB with the mixer's channel gain at +4dB. This output-level also works well with other mixers such as a cheap Mackie analog mixer as well as a high-end Midas Pro2 digital console that I use from time to time. For comparison a vocal condenser microphone such as a Shure Beta87A has the X32-mixers channel-gain at about +40dB. Your guitar signal should be suitable for just about any mixer with the KPAs main output at between -10dB and -20dB. There has been very few occasions where I had to go below -20dB.

Edited 5 times, last by heldal ().

• Agree a simple guide as I'm not a sound engineer. I do get the baisc principles of not overloading the circut.

Going bakc to my basic question can I test at home on my spirit notepad or is that a waste of time?

• I don't think you are doing anything stupid I just don't think its the KPA. I bought my KPA and hooked it up to my small PA that consists of 2 Yamaha S115V's a power amp and a Mackie 1604 mixer. I run out one of the XLR's on the KPA and set the output to Mono. It sounds amazing no matter what profile I use. I think my output is set between -30 and -20. No where near to clipping on the mixer. I take the same setup to practice, we have a small powered board but speakers are like Harbinger 12" speaker and horn and the board is a powered Behringer. Distorted profiles sound like fuzz and just not a good sound at all. I make sure the same things no clipping on the board but no matter what you do you cannot get it to sound good. So now I just bring my FRFR to practice and no problems. So my point is try the KPA on some good equipment, we use the same sound man with a nice system so the KPA sounds great through that each night.

• Rreda - yeah I think you're right, I just need time with decent equipment.

Really want to put it through the PA at the next gig but like most things, you want to rule out any isses in the first place so you know it's set up right any then you know any issues are with the PA not how I have it set.

• It was a bit confuing - if I can sort that then I will be a very happy boy...I know it's something simple given everyone has said there is't anything too daft you can do settings wise...

• Thanks ingolf :) I knew from the start it was most likely to be user error or faulty PA!

Paults - to be fair no, it's the rehearsal PA but I know that issue!

Got to let you know, had a reheasal last night and the sound was there! I think I've found it! Used LL - Surgery rig and sounded enormous! Added a little bass and the Bass player felt it in the chest. I went through the rigs and I think I've got my favs on there now to test at gig volume....just need to get this PA thing sorted and I will be a very happy bunny...I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

FCB1010 arriving soon and I've ordered the Uno4kemper....I'm all in here! I might even go FRFR one day!!!