PA sound - I'm doing something stupid...

• Just a quick update - I borrowed an RCF monitor from a mate and it sounded good.

So it was a combination of errors. Whta I dd notice though is that some profiles sound similar to those through my cab and others totally different! In some cases better but in others worse...

I need to get some time with a PA and play...

• Just a quick update - I borrowed an RCF monitor from a mate and it sounded good.

So it was a combination of errors. Whta I dd notice though is that some profiles sound similar to those through my cab and others totally different! In some cases better but in others worse...

I need to get some time with a PA and play...

Glad to hear you made progress V8. One thing I want to mention is that I have since upgraded to FW 2.7 and I have noticed the KPA even sounds better than it did before through the PA and also through my FRFR monitor. Some of the profiles I didn't particularly like now sound so much better with 2.7. Like me when I first hooked mine up I said this thing doesn't sound good at all then reading the manuals helped and found that settings needed to be changed. After that it got to the point that I could not quit playing and cost me many sleepless nights.

• This. After all profile is a rendering of a set amp, so you might happen to not like the sound or it might be thought for a guitar completely different from yours.
    Some people like to tweak, others prefer to try other profiles :)

• Whta I dd notice though is that some profiles sound similar to those through my cab and others totally different! In some cases better but in others worse

How a regular cab compares to FRFR speakers will vary a lot with tone and profiles. The frequency-response of your cab is probably anything but linear. A guitar-tone that carries a lot of frequencies your cabinet doesn't reproduce so well will sound very different compared to a FR cabinet. A tone where the dominant frequencies are reproduced equally well by your cabinet may sound almost identical to what it does from a FR-speaker. A tone dialled in for your cabinet is less likely to sound good from a FR speaker. If you dial in all tones with a cabinet you may find yourself required to put a microphone i front of the cab to get decent sound for recording or FOH-mixing. It is very hard to mix traditional cabs with FRFR-systems with the exception of those few virtual rigs that produce a tone which is a good match for the frequency-response of the cab. I.e. where the characteristics of your poweramp+cab combination match the characteristics of the chosen cabinet-model on the KPA.

Edited 2 times, last by heldal ().

• Cheers Heldal, it's just you never think about these things with a regular amp... what you say makes perfect sense and I guess is obvious if you do think about it.

I never doubted you Paults :)