Severe Noise problems - glitching warbling when switching stomps new kemper rack owner

• Hello all,

Apologies for the duplicate thread - I could not access the private forum until recently.

So I finally took the plunge and bought a brand new rack. I have been using the unit and I have had this problem:

When I change stomps quickly I notice a weird spaceship type sound which dies off after a few seconds. I have recorded a clip. You can hear the noise at 0:12 , 0:29 and 0:37. This is when turning an fx stomp off and another on immediately afterwards. The slots being switched are the muffin, mouse and the chromatic pitch. Lux dirty factory rig. Here is the soundcloud link.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

They are very obvious so you should hear them.

I have the latest firmware installed. Problem occurred with installed firmware and new one. Occurs with different rigs when clicking these stomps on and off. But certain rigs are worse than others. Depends on combination of fx I think. Not sure what is wrong.

Could anyone see if this is repeatable. Select the lux dirty factory profile and put mouse>muffin>chromatic pitch in the stomp slots. Then play guitar with one of them on, then quickly turn off one and turn on another and hear the noise.

I have tried other profiles and same issue. It also occurs with other stomps - so if muffin is fuzz ds or if pitch is flanger. Very repeatable for me if you switch the fuzz on, play some notes, then quickly switch it off then turn on another distortion stomp. (3 button preses in total).

The noise is like the bit rate goes all weird and the kemper can't cope. Kemper is connected via analogue main outs so not a spdif issue.

Thanks
    Mark

• Thanks both - I emailed Kemper who were very quick to get back to me. So to confirm - you guys get this same problem too? Kemper said that it was able to reproduce it. Seems like a software problem rather than a hardware issue.

Love the product but this is going to prove a problem when switching stomps quickly. I am sure I am not the only one who switches pedals quickly.

• Hi endlessnameless

A few days ago I wrote about "Weird sound when selecting a patch/rig containing the "chromatic pitch" effect" but only got one single response. I tried to decribe in words the exact behaviour you have recorded. The difference is that I switch between patches (in performance mode) and you switch on/off effect, but the noise (at 0:29) is the same as yours. (see my post), I'm on FW2.7 too.

cheers

F

• This is a big problem that I discovered on my first day of owning one - how has it gone pretty much unnoticed for so long?

I hope it is actually fixable as I am thinking of returning my unit. I would rather not but my concern is that it is not possible to fix due to limitations in processor/memory. It could be that there is too much computing required to change the active stomps quickly without garbles.

Fegil - just to add to your post I note that it happens without the pitch when you look at stomp behaviour rather than rig changes - appears that any two distortion stomps will do it.

• This is a big problem that I discovered on my first day of owning one - how has it gone pretty much unnoticed for so long?

I hope it is actually fixable as I am thinking of returning my unit. I would rather not but my concern is that it is not possible to fix due to limitations in processor/memory. It could be that there is too much computing required to change the active stomps quickly without garbles.

Fegil - just to add to your post I note that it happens without the pitch when you look at stomp behaviour rather than rig changes - appears that any two distortion stomps will do it.

Dont say that!!! I hope your not right because that may be the reason the clicks when chaingung with stomps active that I have reported since 2 year
    ago has not been fixed completely I really hope this is not the case

• That does not sound normal and is definitely a bug. I'm going to try this at home, but could you try something out:
    1) Create one profile version with just the mouse
    2) Create one profile with muffin
    3) Create profile with chromatic pitch

When switching between these profiles, do you experience a similar noise? This is a different procedure to activating stomps within a profile, so I'm keen to figure out if it's something that happens when activating FX rapidly within the same performance, vis-a-vis recalling a different performance altogether.

Also, with the test that you posted, do the Kemper lights flicker more than once when you activate the muffin/chromatic pitch?

• Switching between profiles does not give such effect .

Only with activating and deactivating the stomps.(muffin + mouse) (without chromatic pitch also) . But not on all profiles . Try " FP-Fan BM 1959".
    And another observation - you don't have to do this quick. Just like in normal playing - switch one off -> wait to 3s ->switch the other on.
    This is happening when you switch the stack off also.
    Only when i switched off the EQ and Amplifier the Issue disappeared

Kemper fx light flick as normal- once.

• If there is a workaround for performance then this is at least a start.

So for example - rather than switch stomps on and off within a rig set up different rigs with different stomps turned on/off and switch between them in performance mode?

So for example - all of them are Fender Lux but
    1- has mouse on
    2 - has muffin on
    3 - has combination of mouse and pitch on

etc

Problem with this is having enough performance slots for all the possible rig combos of fx. I would rather perform with one rig active turning stomps on and off individually.

Does anyone have a midi footcontroller that they can test to see if the same noises occur when switching stomps on and off with it?

This noise issue is not a massive problem for studio users (I am one), but I would like to use the unit live if I can, and I am surprised that no one has been complaining about this - perhaps most Kemper users are studio based.

Don't get me wrong - I really like the unit - just concerned about these sorts of bugs still not being ironed out. This product is really expensive after all. Hope to hear some news from Kemper that it is possible to fix this.

• I think the stomps are an issue at the moment lots of threads about problems here. I hoping the KPA team sort these issues soon. I know they were trying to refine the profiling process to make it as accurate as possible thats why they introduced the LFC button. Once that is done fingers crossed they will sort all the stomp issues out!!

• Yes - agree - definitly a bug. Even with only the mouse>muffin without pitch shifting. I have also this effect on random selected profile (FP-Fan BM 1959)

To the support:
    Stomp A mouse on
    Stomp B muffin off
    Try to deactivate stomp A and quickly turn on Stomp B.

I just did this on given rig

1) I have chosen factory rig: FP - FAN BM 1959
    2) I have set stomp A) Mouse
    3) I have set stomp B) Muffin
    4) I have set stomp A) on and stomp B) off
    5) I played guitar and switched off stomp A) and switched on stomp B) quickly (0.5 sec)

and couldn't recreate it on OS release 3.2.0 on headphones

is this switching stomps by remote or by kemper buttons?

anyway these stomps sound like **** although I never had originals, but the stomps are fizzy :)

Edited 2 times, last by skoczy ().

• Skoczy mi chodziło czy ten problem w którym posłałem linka brzmi podobnie . Ja już też nie mam tego problemu ;D Chodzi mi o przykład audio - bo nikt go tam nie zamieścił.

• Skoczy mi chodziło czy ten problem w którym posłałem linka brzmi podobnie . Ja już też nie mam tego problemu ;D Chodzi mi o przykład audio - bo nikt go tam nie zamieścił.

Ok got it Damian. By the way, do you know if this stomps switching issue was ever officially reported/fixed?