How to choose s Les Paul

• I bought my LP Standard in '96 and loved it. It's seen hundreds of gigs. However, after I stopped playing 'rock' (for want of a better word to describe the music I played back then), I realised it's a bit of a one-trick pony. I can count on one hand how many gigs it's seen since 2000, and I haven't taken it out of the case for a couple of years (until I took a photo for the "Show us what you plug in" thread, haha). Anyway, I took it to my local luthier to get the frets planed and to get it up to speed again yesterday, because I've got a plan for it : Seymour Duncan P-Rails! I always loved the way the guitar played, and if I still played 'rock' I'd love the sound, too, but installing pickups that give me more options will give it a new lease of life, I reckon. Just my thoughts. I'll let you know how I get on, if you like.

Cheers,
    Sam

• Pretty much sorted in this thread. Really good advice all around...

You can get a "cheap" Lester that you will love, or be prepared to lay out the ducats and florins...much,

much more for cork sniffing--whatever floats your boat (bust out another thousand)

Strangely, from what I can tell (myself and what others say), it is not the model or $$, but more how one

single guitar sounds, and feels to you. A dicey game when you might end up really liking a very expensive one.

Same goes for any instrument, and DangeRuss, you lived up to your name talking about prs in this thread ;)

If buying, you should start liking it within a few seconds. Listening to it unplugged, then preferably playing thru

something you already know.

QC is a big issue, but it kinda works both ways--no real consensus on what is "good" with these.

Getting it setup in store is a very good idea, especially with 4k to spend, and a/b several of the same

model if you can.

Shop around a lot, even used markets, and imitations, Burny is pretty decent, among many.

Historics are pretty and popular, try all lines, studio, classic, trad/pro, custom, and especially a fretless wonder.

Look up the http://www.mylespaul.com forum, they talk about these guitars kinda like kempers are discussed here. I think they

even have a sticky thread about what to look for when getting one. Read that and ask if you have questions.

Hope this helps...

• When i started playing guitar i was into shiny new racing guitars such as Ibanez RG, a ding on a brand new one was almost the end of the world.
    I regarded Les Pauls as unplayable stone age guitars, after a while i had to get one because its simply the best looking guitar, i got used to the feel and now im a hopeless Les Paul nut :)

I only buy used guitars now, its cheaper and if the guitar plays great after 20 years then you know the neck is stable etc. Also, the resell value of a used Les paul standard, custom, reissue is really good.
    If theres lots of wear its usually an indication that its a good guitar because who would spend lots of time on a dud?
    I recently bought a used Les Paul 56 reissue that has been refretted and the new frets soon need a leveling, on large portions of the neck, the laquer is worn through. The guitar plays and sounds better than anything ive tried.