Any one else using a klon/klone in front of their kemper?

• I have a Mythical Overdrive, which I think is an amazing sounding OD pedal. Now i have never actually tried a real klon, but it doesn't matter - i like the sound of this OD regardless of what it is supposed to or not supposed to sound like. If I could only take one pedal to take to a gig, it would be this one.

The problem is when I have it in front of my Kemper (even when bypassed). Yes it still sounds amazing, until I turn up the gain on whatever profile I am using, then i start to get a very high pitched noise - and the more gain, the louder this noise. My guess is the issue is heterodyning - a problem you get running any klon type pedal in front of a digital oscillator (like a strymon for example), but I haven't heard of anyone else having an issue with their klon/klone in front of a Kemper, so maybe my problem is something different entirely.

Is anyone else experiencing anything similar to this? If you do have a klon/klone pedal could you do me a favor and try this out. There is a free profile from TAF called Gilmour (or something like that) that has the gain just cranked with loads of delay that sounds pretty cool when playing solos on something like comfortably numb - but with my mythical overdrive in front of it - bypassed - it becomes unusable.

I am not a high gain player - the gain at about 1 o'clock on the kemper usually works great for me, and then i use the guitar's vol knob for cleaner sounds - so the problem isn't usually as bad as the above scenario - but it is still there - especially at live volumes.

If the issue is heterodying - i might like to try a klone with a different charge pump in it, But as i said, i am not even sure if that is what i am experiencing.

phil

• Hi Phil,

I am experiencing the exact same issue with one of my Mythical Overdrive pedals. I do have a newer MO pedal and it does not make the noise. I also have a real Klon and it does not make the noise either.

I was wondering if you ever found a solution to this? I might send the builder an email to see if he has any ideas.

Thanks,
    Steve

• I have a real Kon Centaur (the older silver version) and it doesn't seem to cause any problems similar to what you described.
    But the profiles I use rarely go past halfway on the gain level, and I set the Klon with moderate settings, maybe this makes a difference.

• What are you using to power the pedal?. If you are using an AC adapter or power brick, try powering by battery to see if you still have the problem. If so, the pedal may not have adequate DC filtering. I have a few pedals that don't do well from an AC source, and so use GigRig Virtual Battery transformers, which completely isolate the power going to the pedal.

• old silver Klon here,, no problems,,also use a DUDE, to make things sing,,, no noise either,, they both work and sound fine, getting your gain set up is Key,,leave a little room for the boost so as to not drive it onto the red,,

• I'm using a Wampler Tumnus and haven't had this issue. Although I am using it in the loop and assigning it to a Stomp slot using Distortion Loop. Could be worth a try that way instead as you can then assign it to come on with patches or switch it manually from a controller.

• I use a EHX Soul Food, in buffered mode, but almost always as a clean, EQ boost or maybe just a hint of breakup. Never into high gain as described. These types of pedals, and I assume a real Klon would be the same, seem to work best as clean or very low gain boosts that add a warmth and clarity to the tone. I leave mine on all the time with Gibsons, and with my Tele's, I will just cut the tone to taste. Never had a problem. To my ears, no pedal will make a significant difference into a dimed amp, save for perhaps a germanium fuzz.

• No problems with my Fuzzey Electronics Klondike Carnival, a very close clone of an original Klon Centaur. Here's a short vid of it in front of my KPA

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.