Top Jimi: '74 Marshall Super Lead

• Jimmy Page, Ace Frehley, Angus Young, Billy Gibbons sound - Gibson Les paul + 74 marshall Super Lead + Fuzz..try it...(gain 4 )
    Jimi Hendrix sound - Fender Stratocaster + 74 Marshall Super Lead + Fuzz...try it...(gain 4 )
    Van Halen,Slash,Malmsteen,Whitesnake,Scorpions,Gary Moore bla bla - EVH Stripe - 74 Marshall Super Lead .try it .(gain 6 - 10 )Presence (Try it)

Find right profile for your guitar and try it. I got so many GREAT sounds from just Marshall 1974 Super Lead
    (volume knob on guitar=Learning how to shape your sound with these knobs on Fender or Gibson are REALLY important )

You can find Clapton, Bonamassa,SRV ,Curt Cobain bla,bla..You can find all Spectrum of sounds if you use guitar knobs, finger position and right Plectrum Technique. Find the right profile from the beginning that fits your guitar then test, good luck AND Happy New Year :)

• I should chime in and say I bought TJ 78 Mars 50w and while they were pretty good I wasn't that impressed, but the 74 SL is by far the best Marshall pack I've ever heard and made me like Marshall again on the kemper!

• Great amps make great profiles! This is simply the best amp I've ever played. Not sure if it's commonplace for '74 Super Leads to sound this good, of if this is a special one. Whatever the case, I'm not arguing with the results. :thumbup:

-Jimi

Purchased the Marshall Pack yesterday, overall the best Marshall sounds I've ever had on the Kemper, especially the 74 Super Lead MAX settings. Feels exactly like a real amp in the dynamics.

Just to clarify I used to play in a modern thrash band while at the same time I play in a NWOBHM band but generally used to go for a quite modern tone carried over from the other band, using stuff like a 5150/EVH III/Dual Rectifier or the Kemper with those type of profiles.

After hearing a Friedman Brown Eye plus some modded Marshall's, I realized the tone I was hearing in my head that I was chasing and never getting there was the sound of modded and or boosted old Marshall Plexi/JCM800 amps, you know modern levels of gain but still retaining crunch and dynamics in your picking and not as compressed like a 5150 feels to me in comparison and your profiles are getting me right in the ballpark. I can't remember off the top of my head but I think I found the '74 Super Lead MAX-4 with the pure booster just hitting the front at 2.0db nigh on perfect for my live rhythm tone.

Live I mostly run the Kemper Powerhead as a traditional head straight into my Marshall Cab and have it mic'ed as normal, eventually once I have everything re-tweaked and think I can trust festival sound guys to hook me up during 20 minute change overs I will be running to front of house as well.

Sorry for the long winded post my question is, I have been experimenting with the new profiling process in the 2.8 firmware and this is ideal for me the ability to really profile the direct out accurately then merge with the studio profile to create a profile that works perfectly to the front of house and a live cab on stage to give the real feel of the real amp. Will you be re-profiling and re-releasing your amps to sell profiled with the new Direct/Merged 2.8 format as I can only imagine how accurate and great your profiles will sound done this way in the future?

• Good question. Unfortunately I don't own most of the amps I have profiled, so it would be extremely expensive and time consuming to redo all the profiles. I do own most of the Marshalls we've done ('68 and '74 Super Leads, '74 Lee Jackson modded, '78 MkII Lead) so I'll look into the merits of re-profiling those amps.

I have a bad case of Marshall G.A.S.

-Jimi

• Good question. Unfortunately I don't own most of the amps I have profiled, so it would be extremely expensive and time consuming to redo all the profiles. I do own most of the Marshalls we've done ('68 and '74 Super Leads, '74 Lee Jackson modded, '78 MkII Lead) so I'll look into the merits of re-profiling those amps.

I have a bad case of Marshall G.A.S.

-Jimi

I was hoping that most those Marshall's were from your personal collection, as those are the 4 I like the best by far.

• I'm a new Kemper user, but I've listened to a ton of commercial profiles and bought a few bundles already and all I can say about this one is...Wow! Without a doubt my favorite profile so far.

• I have this strat with custom 50's PU's. I have an EBMM JP13 with Dimarzio Illuminators and the guitar I have the best luck with is a pre-refined Parker FLY with the low power Dimarzio Tone Zones. Maybe I'm doing something wrong if no other users are running into issues? Thanks for taking the time to answer :)

I know IU'm late to the party, but try lowering the definition parameter. It made most of my TopJimi profiles go from strange to amazing. I would play with that before even touching the eq. I use Parkers.

• I tried that and you are right, that solves the problem. I did notice that it was a very sensitive process as if you turn it down too low, you kind of lose what makes the profile sound so good and it goes kind of limp. Thanks again for the insight. :D

• Consider that Definition controls the balance of distortion on overtones vs. the fundamental. I like to turn it down until the tone fattens up or the shrill high end falls out, then I'll use pre-eq to add the charm back in. Usually thats a midrange boost with the center freq between 1000 and 3000 hz.

• Consider that Definition controls the balance of distortion on overtones vs. the fundamental. I like to turn it down until the tone fattens up or the shrill high end falls out, then I'll use pre-eq to add the charm back in. Usually thats a midrange boost with the center freq between 1000 and 3000 hz.

Ah, thanks for the tip! I'll give that a try.

• The definition parameter is set by the Kemper during profiling. We don't usually touch it.

The Kemper does a fantastic job of capturing the sound of the real amp (however it does it!). We give you the sound of the real amp, and let you tweak the parameters to whatever gives you the tone you're looking for.

-Jimi

• I should clarify that I often lower Definition, but I didn't on these rigs. I was just dropping helpful advice for others. I do like to use a nice midrange boost in front the amp, but I didn't touch Definition here - the tone is great "out the box".

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Marshall Super Lead 74 + Kramer Banana Yellow 84 = killer :-))

Just improvised some Vh riff :-)...

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Marshall Super Lead 74 + Kramer Banana Yellow 84 = killer :-))

Just improvised some Vh riff :-)...

Sounds great man!