how to obtain less muddy sound with profiles +clr ?

• Hello,
    i need some help because i hardly find rigs which don't sound "boxy" with clr. For each' i cut much mids' i add some presence but it always sound as there is a slim carpet or paper out of my clr.
    i have a dtratocaster deluxe, my clr is on my floor in tilt position.
    i doesn't succeed to have a disto sound "clean"...

I have quality gears and it is a little but frustrated!

I am searching gain profile for rock with riff as ratm, redhot' foo fighters' smashing pumpkins etc.... do you know some amps to search in the rig exhange?

If you have some tips or already encountered this' you're welcome! :)

Thanks!

• The CLR is extremely linear. Do you get the same sound through headphones?

Check that you have no special eq in your Output section.
    Also, is the CLR's DSP properly set for the tilt position?

Last, but not least: the room might have a great influence on the sound. Move the cab away from walls and corners or, if the room is very small, try for a moment a different location.

Let us know :)

• Are you talking about with profiles you have personally done yourself, or with profiles you have downloaded off the rig exchange and other sources? if its rigs you are downloading off the free rig exchange, I'd say you have a pretty good ear, because I and many others find the exact same problem with alot of the "free" profiles, and the decent to good profiles seem few and far between on the rig exchange with how many profiles are now available. It wasnt always like that, but seems to be now with how many rigs are available on the rig exchange. The reality is, many obviously do not mic an amp properly for whatever reason (skill level, setup, knowledge, ears, etc whatever) and a good profile is really in how well you mic an amp. The kemper hears whatever that mic is hearing, mic placement is everything. This is often why you are hearing profiles that are "boxy" etc. I know many will come in here and try and disagree and blah blah blah, but the reality is, with how high the bar has been set in recent history with many of the commercial profiles and the quality of profiles that are coming out in the commercial world, there are very few if any free rig exchange profiles that can touch some of the commercial ones. Sure this is in my opinion, but I feel alot of the people that think other wise do not record, play live very often or in professional environments etc: I am generalizing a bit but that seems to be what I have found in general.

The other side of this is, what were you listening on before? is this your first time using FRFR? were you using studio monitors before? are you brand new to the kemper? Are you playing live or do mostly studio work? How loud have you had the CLR? All these factors will make a difference in your expectations and what you need out of your rig.

I would take a look at some of the commercial profilers and see if you are having the same problems: guys like andy at The Amp Factory, Michael Britt, Top Jimi, soundside etc are all putting out extreme quality these days, and will probably have more than you will ever need. I would do a search and take a listen to clips for yourself, as they all have clips of their profiles. I have found that the majority of the clips being extremely accurate to what you will hear on your own setup.

• <p>Eh, we are splitting hairs here: the peofile is most definitely the problem, specifically the micing of the cab. Changing the cab will definitely fix this issue, however you will lose the authenticity of the original profile, for now that is....</p>

• That's strange because there are many top rated profiles in the rig exchange with many stars on them and not to mention..... Some were profiles done where no mic was involved (ie from a modeller)

So finding good sounding rigs shouldn't be a problem on the exchange.

Unfortunately one user will always give the profiles a one star rating
    even if they were some of the highest rated patches etc on other websites ;)

• Thank you for your returns.

A part of matter could be caused by my location i guess.
    I play in front of my CLR on a bar stool, in Tilt position.
    In this configuration, is suppose you have to be stand up to have a good represention of the sound.

Bu i have to change cad systematicaly with any profiles.
    Where could i find all he cabs from Tills ? because the link over doesn't work...

More precision :
    - I play my CLR at home volume.
    - i have played through monitor studio before
    - But i think it could simply my strat mics perhaps....
    - I have tried with a Vigier Excalibure custom also but it sounds "poor" compared to my Fender strat deluxe.
    - I have tried also a marschall 1960 A de Tills and sound is better but i would like less again a more "present" sound....
    - And with clean sounds, no probleme, sounds great !

What would be your EQ tweaks (post amp) to enhance your sound in saturation ?

• I find that many profiles with my strat neck pickup (fat 50s) are too bassy, boomy and the distortion more or less turns into mud, blur.

1. Try an eq (studio) before the stack. Set the bass to -12db (e.g.) and the frequency to 20 Hz or whatever it is. Slowly increase the frequency and see if that helps your sound.
    2. Often turning down the volume knob helps to get rid of muddiness - I can't exactly say why, because it should have the same effect as turning down the gain - but it often helps.
    3. Just remember that profiles that you didn't do for yourself reflect other people's taste in guitar tone. And they are made with guitars and playing styles different from yours. Given that you almost always have to tweak the profiles to suit your taste and style (Stack EQ and Definition parameters are the ones to consider first).

• Ok, i will tes that. But i have moved around my clr and sound is more brught when the clr is on one side on me.
    What is your placement with clr in home location at resonable volume ?

• i have not got the chance to test CLR, but I play with a DXR8 my tweaked profiles is not boxy at all! its very similar to an guitar cab.
    Many guitarists is afraid of middle! middle is my friend to create real stratty warm sounds, and cut trough the mix.
    I found out that many profiles i have downloaded need some more clarity! and some need some tube settings adjustments.
    In almost all my favourite rigs i use EQ and a light boost. then it comes to life!
    What you plug in is just as important as if you are playing a tube amp! I play mostly Tom anderson and Fender starts