So far Severely Unhappy

• Interface came with no Software just Cubase

Lets look at this with 3 scenarios

KPA with Monitors to it ( Sounds Perfect. Good Volume no Distortion)

B: KPA to Interface with Cubase running. Audio Channel with Input Monitoring on ( Sounds awesome just need adjust output level to not peak)

C: KPA to Interface. No DAW Open (Volume is low. Raising any Volume or Output distorts tgs Amp and sounds horrid)

And lastly I want a new interface cause mine doesn't have Spdif

• Yea im in need of a studio upgrade myself. Need to start by removing a freakin dimmer switch that magically only destroys the sound about half the time. Need new interface, and to replace some caps in one of my monitors. The factory ones died and the replacements altho i believe same specs, sometimes one gets all buzzy and i have to turn it off.

Best of luck. In the meantime, did you turn off phantom power? Is the interface visible in your list of sound cards? It seems cruel to require use of the daw to listen to the inputs, but maybe thats their push into their software

• is is there a software mixer with your interface? The picture says the two inputs on the front can be line or mic. And there is a high z button.

The UR22 has an internal hardware-mixer that balance the volumes of line-in and USB-in going to the speakers. It shouldn't need anything more than power from the USB-port to be able to receive audio on the inputs and push it to the speakers. I haven't tested the UR22, but other similar interfaces I have used work fine standalone if you connect a USB-power-supply (mobile charger). When a DAW is used it is important that the mix-knob is turned fully towards DAW when you use software monitoring in the DAW to avoid blending the direct (hardware monitoring) signal with the delayed signal returning from the DAW.

The High-Z button is only for input 2 and intended for use with directly attached magnetic microphones (guitar pickups) that require a high-impedance input.

To fully utilise the KPAs recording-capabilities, including re-amping, you need an audio interface with at least 3 inputs. 2 for the stereo-signal from the KPA and one for the raw/direct guitar-signal. Alternatively use S/PDIF combined with an analog input. To get an interface with S/PDIF I/O from Steinberg you have to get one of their bigger models. Only a few budget audio-interfaces offer digital inputs.

• I'm using the Kemper with the Steinberg UR22 without any issues. Connected the two main outputs of the Kemper with the inputs of the UR22 (XLR cables), set the main output of the Kemper to -35, set the input controls of the UR22 to their complete minimum and it sounds awesome.

Marco

• I am very happy with my Focusrite Sapphire Pro 14 for home use. TBH I am so happy with it that I regret I didn't buy higher model.
    Any good quality interface with SPDIF will do - I highly recommend going SPDIF because of hassle free recording/reamping.

• I have the 18i20 and going to put it together tonight after work

The only thing that I'm a little worried about is the Mix Control the guy at GC said you need to route the Kemper in that program as well as in the DAW

Essentially I want to do 2 things

1. Track a D.I signal while also hearing the Kemper Channel

2. After editing the D.I Signal
    Send it back into the Kemper and re amp it edited back into the DAW

• Mine running through a Focusrite Liquid 56.

Probably more than I need and the MixControl software remains something of a mystery at times but all in all it should cover all my studio needs and plenty of routing options for the kemper.

• I found that what you hear in headphones and properly setup monitors is close to what you should hear on your audio interface. So if it's not, this is what I do:

1) Default Settings on the KPA
    2) Set KPA output to about -10-20 on OUTPUT
    3) Default settings on your Audio Interface internal mixing software.
    4) Set Input lower than you think.

Once I've defaulted and properly setup volumes, things sound on SPDIF exactly as they do on the KPA directly (except the Bass difference of headphones of course)

MixControl is a beast to understand, but try the "Default" and see if that doesn't help. But put your physical settings low so you don't blow your ears out as the default might push the faders to 0.