So far Severely Unhappy

• I Unboxed my Kemper today and hooked it up. I have a UR22 by Steinberg (No Spdif ) so I routed it XLR from back of the Kemper into the input of my interface and tried it out

So far it sounds like a stomp box or cheap digitech. I know I have to read the users manual but coming out of my Mackie 824's everything is thuddy or tinny, and it just sounds completely awful

Anyone have any tips or anything that can help inspire some enthusiasm back into me?
    For the record ive been a plug and play Amp kind of guy so the whole tinkering with settings frustrates me and I apologize

• Alrighty so after tinkering here is what is going on (my theory)

I plugged the headphones into the Kemper and it sounds great but the monitor it sounds like garbage. I am running very good Mackie Monitors.

XLR from the MainOut (Kemper) to the XLR In on the (UR22 by Steinberg)

Now I notice I have to raise the Gain on the UR22's XLR Input and I think it is distorting and messing up the Kempers sound but there's no other way to get the volume raised without using the Gain knob?

• You can also lower the main output level if it is too hot. Hold down the "output" button and then go to page two. You might also want tocheck what the outputs are assigned to, on page one.

• Here's a Kemper I setup in a music store using Mackie HR842 MK2 Studio monitors and the tone is nothing short of incredible!

If you get a new Kemper and you want to test it why not plug it directly into your studio monitors FIRST and then after you've tested it try and figure out how to use your UR22...that way you wouldn't have to insult the Kemper by saying it sounds like garbage. :)

[Blocked Image: https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10845910_865876066776266_5567926732935428334_n.jpg?oh=e3a82707d09a858ef801705fbb901c17&oe=5546FF6A&__gda__=1425754075_20e5b24341f8fd87dd33340d40c0e310]

• Phantom power on the XLR, although it's recommended to turn off when you're not driving a condenser, doesn't hurt the Kemper..

I bet the problem here is that the max input on the UR22s XLR is 0dBm, and it is clipping. Even with the input gain on the UR22 at minimum you still have to back off a lot on the KPAs output. I've tried several recording interfaces over the last few weeks and found that I may have to set the main out on the KPA as low as -30 or even -40dB to avoid clipping. The alternative is to use unbalanced 1/4" into the UR22. Mixing-consoles may also have a problem with the KPAs hot output, but those can usually cope with up to +15 or some even as high as +25 dBm. Max output on the KPAs balanced outputs is +22dBm.

In short, either:

• Push output on the KPA, go to page 2 and lower the main output a lot (-35 or thereabout). Start with the UR22s input gain at minimum, then raise till it starts clipping and back off a bit. That gives you a ballpark gain structure for your recording.
    • Use 1/4" unbalanced instead of XLR. Remember to raise the output-level back if you already tried reducing the XLR output. Adjust the input gain on the UR22 as above. I now have the main-out set at -10dB which works well with XLR to most mixing-desks and 1/4" to recording interfaces such as the UR22.

Edited 4 times, last by heldal ().

• Now I notice I have to raise the Gain on the UR22's XLR Input and I think it is distorting and messing up the Kempers sound but there's no other way to get the volume raised without using the Gain knob?

to raise the volume, always turn up the output of your interface, not the input gain!

like the others, I also recommend connecting the profiler directly to the monitors, so you get a proper reference of what it sounds like.

;)

• Thank you, a lot of you have been so helpful
    I am going to tinker with it today and try and get things right.

The headphones sound amazing so I have a reference of the sound without direct connecting the monitors.
    The problem is I need the Monitors connected to my interface to record and hear everything

I may buy the FocusRite rack interface to replace my UR22 as well

Another question do I need to connect both Outputs to both Interface Inputs cause I am only using Right out (Kpa) to Right In (UR22)

Also Phantom Power will be shut off.

• I would definitely replace that interface. One of my colleagues has one and he was never able to get a quality setup through it that worked for him. It works but just not the way he was used to using an external interface. He has since moved on to something else and hasn't had any issues.

• I took everyones advice and plugged direct into Monitors and man What a difference
    With the KPA to my interface anytime i raise volume it colors my tone differently

With KPA direct to Monitors, I raise volume it doesnt alter the tone

Anyone have any advice what interface to get that I wont have this issue

• I may buy the FocusRite rack interface to replace my UR22 as well

Another question do I need to connect both Outputs to both Interface Inputs cause I am only using Right out (Kpa) to Right In (UR22)

You may replace the UR22 if it is broken, but it's normally not a bad interface. Whatever you replace it with, beware of the documented minimum and maximum signal levels. Unattenuated the KPA's balanced output will appear rather hot for most recording interfaces.

Regardless of your choice of recording interface (or mixing console) you always have to match the output of one element to the input of the next element in your signal chain. The input sensitivity/gain on an interface has to be set so that it does not clip the incoming signal, usually with a bit of headroom. An interface, like a mixer, has a volume control (pot or fader) that is used to control the signal volume. Never use input gain to adjust your volume. A guitar tube-amp is designed to distort (clip), a recording interface or mixing console is not.

There is no need to connect both outputs. Just make sure the output is set to master-mono when you use one output. If set to master-stereo some stereo effects may sound a bit off.

Edited 2 times, last by heldal ().

• Any interface with spdif should work - you'll get a 100% accurate signal, but the Kemper is a bit picky about this. It has to be the clock master and only supports 44.1 kHz. 48 kHz appears in the debug mode of the Kemper and supposedly works but it's not officially released and bound to be some hijinks.

If your kpa is right next to your interface you should be able to use unbalanced connections without noticeable distortion/degradation of the signal

• I may have figured it out. I was trying to run the KPA to my interface without my DAW running

Once I opened Cubase. Made an Audio Track and turned on Input Monitoring the KPA sounded amazing again

Problem is I had to Zero out my Gain on my UR22

I intend to record a D.I signal for re amping. So I really need a good Audio interface that wont be so unnecessarily temperamental

Any suggestion? I want a Rack interface prob too