Bass Rigs - Difference between 'DIRECT' parameter and Parallell Path

• Hi all,

Been using an ampeg SVT bass profile from TAF and it has a 'direct parameter' in the amplifier settings which allows me to blend in the direct signal with the bass amp.

However, there is also the parallel signal option in the rig menu which seems to do the same thing. Only prob with this option is that if I want to blend in a small amount of direct signal the whole volume of the rig drops so I have been using 'direct' in the amplifeier parameters.

Is there something I am missing here? They appear to do the same thing.

Thanks
    Mark

• Hi Mark,

Parallel Path gives you the option to use STOMPS A and B e.g. with compressor and EQ to shape the tone. If the Rig drops in Volume you may compensate by turning up Volume.

• The amp section's Direct Mix blends in the signal after stomp D with the signal coming out of the amp.

Parallel Path separates two of the stomps (A and B, I think?) into a separate chain, like so:

Instrument --> A --> B --> Blend knob
    Instrument --> C --> D --> Amp --> Effects block --> Blend knob

The most obvious use for this would be to have a compressor and EQ in A and B, set to give you a really solid low end, set up the other path with some tasty grit/distortion through the amp, and then blend them together afterward like a lot of producers do for studio recordings. Alternatively, you might use A + B with a distortion and EQ to get something really nasty while using the second path for a beefy clean-ish amped sound.

Personally, I find Direct Mix can be really useful for high-gain guitar tones if there isn't enough note definition. Dialing in just a little bit can help your chords come through a little clearer, for instance, and the clean signal also adds a bit of dynamics back in.

• Personally, I find Direct Mix can be really useful for high-gain guitar tones if there isn't enough note definition. Dialing in just a little bit can help your chords come through a little clearer, for instance, and the clean signal also adds a bit of dynamics back in.

Agreed! But I also use it along with a heavy modulation processing, this betters the attack and overall clarity while keeping the sonic whistles and bells :D