The Official "Ambrosi Amps' Retrofit Power Amps for the Profiler" thread

• So I assume that the trimmer is set to its optimal point (headroom and transparency etc.) when you ship the amp?

Could you give us an example where you would want to change the trimmer setting? (Other than impress some friends of course.)

• Sure, I've already answered this question privately. Here follows the related rationale.

What gets influenced by the trimmer is the power amp's input sensitivity (a kind of gain, if you wish); it's basically like the Gain control in the CLR.
    There would actually be ho harm in setting it "too high", in the worst case you'd have a higher distortion % (not necessarily perceivable by ear unless extreme tho) if set too high while the Profiler's Master volume is set high itself; OTOH, you might not exploit all the power the Ambrosi is capable of outputting if set too low.
    Actually, the input sensitivity works in tandem with the strength of the input signal: the lower the latter, the higher the former can be set in order to fully exploit the power amp's capacity.

In this specific case, the input signal is the Profiler's Monitor out (or Main out, if you wish). The Kemper's nominal output is +16 dBu (that equals 13,82 Vpp), but of course the actual outputted tension is much lower during the use. If it actually equated the nominal output, the trimmer would need to be set roughly @ 1/6 of its excursion.
    By default, the trimmer leaves the workshop set @ 1/2, so that the power section accepts a maximum signal of 6 dBu, which Andrea has evaluated optimal for most applications.
    (Note: in order for the Profiler to output 16+ Vpp it would not be enough to just turn the Master output fully clockwise.)

The whole point is that it's impossible to determine "the average" output from the Profiler: the values metered on the display when turning the Master output knob is just an attenuation, and doesn't measure the actual output voltage: the strongest the signal before the knob, the higher the output nevertheless.

So, why and when would you be supposed to tweak it?

• Raise it if you like to have the Profiler output a much lower voltage than "average", or if you like to get the highest volume from the power amp at very low Master volume settings (you want to impress friends 8) );
    • lower it if you'd prefer for some reason to keep the Master volume quite high.

Since the two Volume knobs on the Profiler are linear, none of the above-mentioned options seem of any use to me at the moment :)

• Hi guys!
    I understood everything you talked about and I am following the Ambrosi Amp topic since the beginning however I'm still not able to understand if the Ambrosi Amp would work for me.
    Assuming I'm an average Joe guitar player, using 100db guitar speakers in a rock band, I'm not taking about extreme Speed Metal stuff, just rock music with an average Joe drum player, where I sometime need headroom to get clear sound.

Is Ambrosi Amp loud enough for a rehearsal?
    Is Ambrosi Amp loud enough for a concert (let say in a medium size room)?

• Gianfranco

The "trimmer" has got me interested....I might want to raise it. :)

You know the Kemper Poweramp also has a Boost knob, even though it's 600 watts we always add some boost, so I reckon maybe I should raise the trimmer as well.

How about I load a good clean Profile, then turn the KPA Master volume really high (to impress music store salesman), and then slowly raise the trimmer so the clean tone stays clean and doesn't begin breaking up?

Is that the best way to do it?

• Assuming I'm an average Joe guitar player, using 100db guitar speakers in a rock band, I'm not taking about extreme Speed Metal stuff, just rock music with an average Joe drum player, where I sometime need headroom to get clear sound.
    Is Ambrosi Amp loud enough for a rehearsal?
    Is Ambrosi Amp loud enough for a concert (let say in a medium size room)?

What cab configuration would you use? 2x4x12" is not the same as 1x1x12" :)
    Generally speaking, my answer would be affirmative. Of course, with guitar cabs orientation and directivity are important factors (a good part of their energy is confined inside a very tight solid angle).

Have you already seen this video? It will give you an idea about the actual SPL you can get with a 102 dB\1 W\1 m, 2x12" cab. Follow the speaking, it explains what happens.
    Needless to say, the video is completely "bad" from a qualitative POV, but it gives you an idea of the loudness :D
    At the loudest moments with the cab set @ 16 ohm, both the Ambrosi's trimmer and the Profiler's Master Volume are set halfway. @ 4 ohm I couldn't go over 2-3 on the Master Volume.

I think you shouldn't... but after all I'm 8,000 km away and you're a bad boy LOL
    Anyway, I'd do it the other way round: I'd turn the trimmer fully clockwise and would gradually raise the Master output (it would also be more practical to operate).
    I'm not sure you'd hear a distortion the way you mean it, unless you've overdriven an SS power amp before and you know what it is about. You could get nasty overtones not necessarily perceivable as "distortion", and ear fatigue. And, depending on the cab(s)' specifications, mind the transducers as well.

This would be a very extreme use of the hardware. Granted, a certain car is made to work with the gas completely open and run @ 150 mph, but I'd not keep that driving regime steady for 500 miles with no pause whatsoever... Average use and extreme use are two different beasts :)

I'd rather choose a set of cabs that can give me more SPL. A set of 2x4x12" wired @ 8 ohm with a 102 dB\1 W\1 m sensitivity would give more volume that an active CLR... and we're talking about a 200 € small amp :D
    As a sign I once saw in a store read, "We have always done what was possible; we currently do the impossible; as for miracles, we're gearing up".

:thumbup:

• reading this thread from my phone ...so , stupid question is this :
    whatafuck is trimmer , where is that , and how to adjust it ?
    and why to adjust it ?

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

Edited once, last by Rescator ().

• I would really like to hear some clips or watch a video of someone using the amp with a 4x12 cab...I am interested,just don't know if it has enough power,being that kemper has 600 watts..

• Rod,
    you won't be able to say much about the room SLP from a clip.
    Have you seen the video I shot with a 2x12"? Of course you have to keep the mic's gain low in order to not clip the camera when you shoot.
    You might ask Lance (Guitartone), he's just posted about using a 4x12" with the Ambrosi. Rescator (another member here) said that the salespeople had to leave the shop :whistling:

:)

• Hi, Gianfranco, only a small notice to you. Shouldn't you put CE marking on the product to show that it meets EC directives? I didn't find any on the photos. Just mentioning it, so you wouldn't have any problems. ;)

That is correct.

It is illegal to officially sell such equipment inside the EU without a CE sign on it.
    No, it does not cost 20.000USD to have a CE sign legally on the product.
    The product must follow certain regulations though.
    From what I see on the pictures, it does not do that.

It is also illegal to officially sell a product like that inside the EU without the small garbage can sign on it (that stands for the manufacturers responsibility to handle the recycling of electronic equipment).
    To get this, one will have to pay about 500,- Euro a year and about 300,- euro initial cost..
    I have to pay that.

All of that has little to do with politics or conspiracy theories. It is just the rules and laws we have agreed on and that we should follow.

I do not want to bash the Ambrosi amp here, but this topic has come up and I think it is only fair to mention it here, since all of this will and must have an impact on cost and prices for products.

Tilman

• Tilman,

I am only telling what my friend told me in relation to his overall cost for getting CE registration ( this figure included requisite testing of a tube amplifier combo which he designed from scratch) . I'm sure the independant lab testing costs are relative to the complexity of the product , number of electronic components involved etc...

• Ok, you asked for it :
    my studio is full with devices without CE certificate, since most of them is from USA or local SA made fantastic valve amps or amps/guitars made made in my former Yugoslavia.
    All of electric infrastructure in my house is without CE European certificate .
    All the houses I know as well doesn't have CE certificate .
    In Europe ,if you want to grow a small vegetable/herbs garden in your back yard , you need certificate !!!
    Here in SA my Wife is growing such a garden (beautiful one btw) , without certificate , can you imagine , how she dare to do that ???
    That certificate costs up to 100.000 euros in fucking old lady Europe.
    The purpose of such a Nazi regulations is to force EU citizens to buy Monsanto GM modified products, to eat shit and to kill your selves and your children.
    The main purpose is to to not give you a chance to be free and independent by having your own source of food.
    Why Bill Gates and Apple have so many billion dollars of extra profit ?
    Because the price of their product is so overrated , over-pumped and unfair .
    Also, without Nikola Tesla , they will never manage to made made their overrated products.
    What money they paid to Nikola Tesla family or to Serbia for using his patents and knowledge?
    It was only Christopher Kemper who name one of his profiles as TESLA PHENOMENON .
    Thanks Sir Mr Kemper , at least you know the real history of electricity, radio, wireless,X rays etc...
    So, I will not pay for that apple, windows and similar bullshit , if I can.
    The same thing for fucking CE and vegetable/herbs garden certificate boolshit .

Long Live Rock'n Roll !

Edited 4 times, last by Rescator ().

• Hi guys,

@ Ingolf : Its OK. I think he did not mean me or any specific person to call a Nazi, but the regulations he thinks are "Nazi-regulations".

However, personally, I do not agree with each and every regulation out there, but I kind of like my 380V electrical kitchen oven to have a CE certificate, for example.
    If I go to the doctor, I like the doctor actually to be a doctor...with some kind of degree.....

But if someone chooses to buy electrical equipment only without a CE declaration on it...that is fine with me.

Tilman

• I can understand you Ingolf, but only people who are real Nazi can be hurt .
    And I do not apologize to them.
    We , us , normal people , doesn't matter which nations, colour, religions, etc ...who do not have that N in prefix in our name and believing, we cannot be hurt.

What do you think?

Edited once, last by Rescator ().

• I can understand you Ingolf, but only people who are Nazi can be hurt, because I exposed the similar regulations, using that prefix in my humble thread.
    We , us , normal people who do not have that N in prefix in our name and believing, we cannot be hurt.
    What do you think?

Well, frankly speaking, when you call out people that are responsible for EU regulations as Nazi's or their regulations as Nazi regulations you actually DIMINISH the real inhuman and cruel deeds that were done by the Nazi regime. Easy. Don't do it. Stop it.
    And please keep the forums CLEAN of any 'political' statements like these.