The Official "Ambrosi Amps' Retrofit Power Amps for the Profiler" thread

• ...sooo many pages.... :( !

ah, just from the first page - it looks like these are only for the lunchbox version and not the rack... Is that correct? If so, it won't apply for me as I will be going rack based...

CURRENT:
    (FLOOR) Kemper Remote w/ Mission exp + EB VP
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• I will be taking delivery of an ATM 70 soon and I will post my thoughts and what not for everyone. If anyone one wants to come and try the power amp I live in sheffield in the UK so just drop me a message if you would like to come try it.

Since you are in the UK and have recently ordered I guess it would be wise to ask yourself...!

Is the ATM only for the lunchbox version of Kemoer (or is there a retrofit to the rack version too?) basically do you have a lunchbox or rack KPA?

cheers

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• I got linked to this thread after asking re. Flat response 3rd party power amps for the KPA rack... What is this thread regarding exactly?

from the title it looks like someone has figured out a way to retrofit a power amp to the non-powered versions of the KPA (lunchbox / rack) - is that accurate? And is this a cheaper / nicer sounding option? Furthermore, which country are they based in!?

there are two retrofitters out there.
    1. KPA-solutions with the Camplifier series
    2. Ambrosi amps.

• Hi I have the Lunchbox model as you have probably guessed by now lol

So I got the ATM-70 today which is super fast especially because the weekend got in the way, it was sent out in Thursday so without the weekend it would have been very fast indeed.

It came extremely well packed which is good to know when its traveling quite far you have to be very diligent with packing because it sees so many different sorting offices it has more chance of being abused but thankfully this was not the case.

Installation was extremely simple all you need is the correct size star key and its as easy as unscrewing them and then screwing them back in the the Ambrosi amp in place.

I only have a Marshall 1X10 at home at the moment so I've only tried it through that cab but on wednesday ill be able to try it through a 4X12.

To be honest though it shouldn't be much different apart from being able to fully test the volume that it can go up to and the obvious differences between a 1X10 and 4X12 like extra bass etc.

Ive not included any sound clips because it wouldn't show any useful information, the reason i bought the Ambrosi Amp was the promise of flat response and a fair volume and with some extra features thrown in for good measure like monitor pass through.

Weight wise it doesn't add that much more certainly nothing that would be a problem and it doesn't unbalance the Kemper which I think someone asked somewhere.

The good news is so far it definitely ticks all the boxes and looks really well made and thought out but I will report back after practice on Wednesday where ill really test it.

Ive included a link that shows the packing etc.

https://plus.google.com/113073…552/posts/T6PRrjYgwgR</a>

• [quote='tom3316','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/18217-The-Official-Ambrosi-Amps-Retrofit-Power-Amps-for-the-Profiler-thread/?postID=210683&#post210683']Hi I have the Lunchbox model as you have probably guessed by now lol

So I got the ATM-70 today which is super fast especially because the weekend got in the way, it was sent out in Thursday so without the weekend it would have been very fast indeed.

It came extremely well packed which is good to know when its traveling quite far you have to be very diligent with packing because it sees so many different sorting offices it has more chance of being abused but thankfully this was not the case.

Installation was extremely simple all you need is the correct size star key and its as easy as unscrewing them and then screwing them back in the the Ambrosi amp in place.

I only have a Marshall 1X10 at home at the moment so I've only tried it through that cab but on wednesday ill be able to try it through a 4X12.

To be honest though it shouldn't be much different apart from being able to fully test the volume that it can go up to and the obvious differences between a 1X10 and 4X12 like extra bass etc.

Ive not included any sound clips because it wouldn't show any useful information, the reason i bought the Ambrosi Amp was the promise of flat response and a fair volume and with some extra features thrown in for good measure like monitor pass through.

Weight wise it doesn't add that much more certainly nothing that would be a problem and it doesn't unbalance the Kemper which I think someone asked somewhere......

The good news is so far it definitely ticks all the boxes and looks really well made and thought out but I will report back after practice on Wednesday where ill really test it.

Ive included a link that shows the packing etc.

https://plus.google.com/113073789711076882552/posts/T6PRrjYgwgR</a>[/quote] ..thanks tom , can I ask where you are located ? in US ? I'm just trying to guess shipping time, I am in illinois USA. waiting on my ATM -70, & defiantly looking forward to your review with a 4x12, thanks , roger

• I'm located in the UK but I may have seen someone from the US saying it took about 7 days but I can't be sure.
    As far as I can tell it doesn't add anything to the sound or if it does It does it in a pleasing way but I doubt it adds anything.
    The reason I chose this power amp was the thought and consideration that had gone into the building of this unit. The honesty in the measurements of the amplifier, it happens to much when it comes to specs of amps where the facts are reported in a way that makes the specs seem better than they are but it doesn't seem the case with the ambrosi.
    Like I said I'll try it Wednesday night and see how it copes at volume and report back.

• there are two retrofitters out there.
    1. KPA-solutions with the Camplifier series
    2. Ambrosi amps.

Cheers. so the Ambrosi is only for the lunchbox-style KPA...what about the 'camplifier' - is this too only for the lunchbox? Judging from

Judging from viabcroce's reply it seems only the lunchbox can have a poweramp retrofitted... What I was asking for was 3rd party power amps that suit the RACK versions of KPA....

cheers

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Does the powered rack KPA not offer 'monitor pass-through'?

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Cheers. so the Ambrosia is only for the lunchbox-style KPA...what about the 'camplifier' - is this too only for the lunchbox?

The Camplifiers are only for lunchbox too. But there is a lot of good rackmount amplifiers (Matrix, ISP Stealth etc.) on the market to share a rackcase with your Kemper rack. :thumbup:

• Thanks Pick909 - this is what I was originally trying to ascertain - obviously heard of the Matrix GT range... But not the Stealth...

What I'm trying to find out is 3rd party power amps with flat response that won't colour my Kemper tones and will take up minimal rack space whilst being fairly priced and ideally stereo outs, oh and also people's opinions of them...

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• I think the camplifier do a rack version or at least Ritter amps do who own camplifier as far as I know. Tony MacKenzie sorry if I've spelt his name wrong has got a video on YouTube installing one and a thread on here I think. It's not as easy as just dropping in like ambrosi etc and requires some modifying of the case but does fit neatly inside.

• I think the camplifier do a rack version or at least Ritter amps do who own camplifier as far as I know. Tony MacKenzie sorry if I've spelt his name wrong has got a video on YouTube installing one and a thread on here I think. It's not as easy as just dropping in like ambrosi etc and requires some modifying of the case but does fit neatly inside.

No, AFAIK Tony McKenzie did 'it', i.e. retrofitting a camplifier into a rack Kemper, on his own, which is not a trivial task.
    There's no rack version of the Camplifier.

• I tried the ATM 70 at practice tonight through an 8 ohm 4x12 not quite sure of the speakers in the cab because it's not mine so I can't give any meaningful info on sensitivity ratings.
    Signal flow was monitor out with cab off tied to the master volume knob and then obviously from the ambrosi into the cab. I had the master volume on full and had to raise the rig volume a little to be heard over the drummer. The ambrosi did not sound like it was struggling even when palm muting and sounded very dynamic. I believe the ambrosi could be a lot louder and I'm guessing the trim pot inside is turned too low but unfortunately this was not something I could check at practice. Tomorrow I'll take it off and check the trim pot. This shouldn't put any one off buying the ambrosi amp because I'm pretty sure it's the trim pot. It definitely didn't sound like it was any where near struggling so that would imply to me that it wasn't working at full volume. If anyone has any thing to add on what I could try then let me know.

• Yes, generally speaking the cab's sensitivity plays of course a critical role for the overall SPL, with whichever power amp.

I'm not sure I got the issue tho: raising the rig volume a little does not present any issue, unless the output LED was already and definitely hitting the red.

As a general rule, as long as you're not seeing "some red" here and there in the output LED, you are not supplying a full signal to the amp (gain staging).
    I'd also keep the cab high on the floor rather than in backline position: the sound diffusion will be much better :)

If you like the idea of keeping the Master volume lower, tweaking the power trimmer can be a good option.

HTH

• I turned the rig volume until it was flashing red. It's not so much that I want to keep the master lower it just seemed like it could go louder and I was just wondering whether the trim pot had been turned down accidentally. Of course you are correct though with the fact speaker sensitivity plays a massive part in all this.