News!!! 3.0 firmware, January 22nd, 2015

• This presentation of FW3 contains an interesting statement about DI profiling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qWjTIo8EdE
    CK says, that you will have to run a DI profile against the same CAB that has been used during profiling. (around 1:30)
    This topic was discussed on this threat before, but this is the first time i have heard this statement from the „kempers“ themselves.

This means, i cannot buy a DI profile from somebody and run it against my CAB.
    Well, of course i can. But this will not give me the same result as connecting the real amp to my CAB.

Did I get this correct?

• This presentation of FW3 contains an interesting statement about DI profiling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qWjTIo8EdE
    CK says, that you will have to run a DI profile against the same CAB that has been used during profiling. (around 1:30)
    This topic was discussed on this threat before, but this is the first time i have heard this statement from the „kempers“ themselves.

This means, i cannot buy a DI profile from somebody and run it against my CAB.
    Well, of course i can. But this will not give me the same result as connecting the real amp to my CAB.

Did I get this correct?

This is not how I understand it to be . If you buy a DI profile and run it through a Arshall 4x12 with vintage 30's in it should sound exactly like tgat amp through your Cab the new profiling can remove the cab unlike at the moment where it is a bit of guess work

• The amp is profiled with connection to some X CAB which represent complex impedance over the spectrum.
    This impedance has an impact on DI profile- because it affects the behavior of the power amp itself.
    But the main advantage of this approach is to have the same tone with the studio profile (lets say when you do a home recording) and with the DI profile when you want to play with PA and the same X CAB.
    But still if you use a different Y CAB you should have a better results because of better separation method.

But the tone of the profile created with X CAB(and connected Y CAB) will be different from profile created with Y CAB(and connected Y CAB)- because of this complex impedance.
    Another words - DI profile will sound different when you profile it with X CAB and Y CAB.

• Thanks Damian, Thanks Raoul. Your replies clearly reflect the two different opinions I could find, reading through the forums.

What Damain says regarding impediance dynamics makes perfect sense to me.

On the other hand, you can create "impulse/response" profiles of speaker cabs and I thought maybe they are able to simulate that "impedance stuff", using the IR-profiles of the two speakes cabs (the one from the profile and the one use on stage), maybe in conjunction with their own build in kemper power amp. They could possibly have all the information needed, although this would sure be close to "rocket science".
    This would really be the "second step" of the kemper revolution. I am sceptical.
    Raoul, did you check that? Did you do AB-testing?
    (RealAmp-A => CAB-Y vs. RealAmp-A-DIProfile(profiled with CAB-X) => CAB-Y))

But anyway, at least it should be possible to replace your own tube head against a powered kemper, by profiling it on your own.
    If this really works, this would we also a major step.

I have had a kemper for testing a year ago, but I couldn´t decide to buy it, mainly because it couldn´t give me the feel of a real amp behind me on stage. D.I.-profiling seems to address that issue.
    Maybe I should give it a try. Just a question of "fund raising" ;)

• it couldn´t give me the feel of a real amp behind me on stage. D.I.-profiling seems to address that issue.

Hey Magentix,
    are you saying that the Profiler connected to a passive cab did not sound like a real amp with a real guitar cab?
    If this is the case, there must have been something wrong in your system :)
    The new feature has nothing to do with the realism of feeling and response, but rather with the tone faithfulness to a given mixed setup.
    Also consider that the mic and technique used for creating the profile heavily affect the sonic result. among other things, the narrower and the less linear the mic's freq range, the less the profile will sound like a real cab.

• oh yes Gianfranco, you might by right. I wasn´t aware of that fact and maybe I have tested with the wrong profiles for that purpose. But I guess DI-profiles would protect people like me from choosing profiles, that don´t work well through a guitar cab I suppose.

But you are making me think. Up to now I was thinking, that we are searching for a better response with DI profiles. But maybe I am wrong.
    Maybe it is actually just the fact, that it did not sound like the original amp, making me think it is a "feel and response" matter.

mmmh :/

• :)

Of course when using a real guitar cab the first thing to try is to switch the cab profile off. This will work with the old profiles as well and with any KAOS version. It won't sound like the original profile would of course, but just because

• you're using a different cab
    • you're filtering some frequencies out, some others in, and creating some new phase shifting to the sound

It will nevertheless sound "real", like any guitar amp with a cab filtered (mic'ed) in some specific way :)

HTH

• Did I miss something?

I read how the 3.0 release date announcement was premature and that it would not be available on January 22nd, which has come and gone, but I can seem to find any info as to what the new projected release date really is. Did I miss it or has there been no second announcement?