Can the Kemper....

• Hi. Just looking into the Kemper and curious as to whether it fits my needs/requirements. If any of you pro's don't mind answering...

Can the Kemper allow to make profiles of only an amps pre amp?? How good do these sound running into external tube poweramp amp or vst cab IR's??

Can the Kemper allow to make profiles of only an amps poweramp+cab (obviously a mic and mic pre being in the siganl chain)??

Will the Kemper be getting USB audio recording in a future firmware update??

Cheers

• Hmmm...

I believe what is improved with FW 3.0 is profiling the preamp AND poweramp, but withput the speakers.

I think MAYBE it's possible to profile just the poweramp or something like it, if going through a DI into an outboard preamp and then into the line input of the amp - depending on the amp design? I could be totally wrong though, it's purely speculation. Don't try it unless someone way smarter than me responds.

Why do you want to do those things?

Also, Welcom to the forum :)

• 3.0 is about the improved accuracy of distinguishing between an amp (preamp + poweramp) and the cabinet portion.

preamp profiling is of cource possible and has been since 1.0 - just use the effects send of an amp and route that back to the Profiler.
    preamp profiles sound as good as the preamps they're taken from, after all - the Profiler can recreate the whole signal chain of a tube amplifier...

I was a heavy IR user at one point, with huge libraries of thousands of IRs and many, many custom mixes...
    since the Profiler I don't bother with IRs anymore. They might have been a good way to improve upon the factory cabs of certain devices,
    but once you experience the richness of unique Profiles, using generic IRs doesn't have much appeal anymore.

similarly, you could of cource only profile the poweramp + cab (and mic) by simply using the effects return input instead of the guitar input when profiling.

• cool.

Its a shocker that kemper doesn't have usb audio recording as THIS is a total no brainer...

I have the need to be able to use a Kemper pre amp profile with a tube power amp+cab, or a tube pre amp with a power amp+cab Kemper profile. Covering all applications live or studio.

The idea of v3 profiling a pre+power amp and then using another external power amp to drive a speaker seems a bit weird to me... won't you lose accurate interaction between power amp and cab??

Wouldn't having separation between pre amp and power amp+cab yield better accuracy?? or is this beyond the Kempers capabilities??

• i can tell you...with the new Profiles (i did a lot so far) you can use (should use) a non tube poweramp..any clean one will do the job and the Profile sounds connected to a real cab like the real amp.
    You can even mic that one up again and compare to the real amp.. ;)

• cool.

Its a shocker that kemper doesn't have usb audio recording as THIS is a total no brainer...

The Profiler is a professional (pre)amp. Adding a USB audio interface to it doesn't really make sense for the vast majority of users who already have higher end audio interfaces.

I have the need to be able to use a Kemper pre amp profile with a tube power amp+cab, or a tube pre amp with a power amp+cab Kemper profile. Covering all applications live or studio.
    The idea of v3 profiling a pre+power amp and then using another external power amp to drive a speaker seems a bit weird to me... won't you lose accurate interaction between power amp and cab??
    Wouldn't having separation between pre amp and power amp+cab yield better accuracy?? or is this beyond the Kempers capabilities??

http://www.kemper-amps.com/pag…ang/en/p/201/do/News.html

"UNDERSTANDING DIRECT PROFILING
    The Kemper profiling technology has already had an incredible impact in the guitarists’ community for being able to capture the sound and feel of the classic guitar rig: Tube Amp/ Cabinet/ Microphone. These profiles are called “Studio Profiles”.
    Now with Direct Profiling Kemper have gone even further and are able to capture the sound of a tube-amp including its power-amp separately from the cab - even when the cabinet load is active. This works by tapping the sound exactly where it hits the speaker cabinet: The speaker output! As high voltage and high wattage are present, a dedicated DI is required. This specialized DI box is capable of scaling down the tube power amp voltage to a line-level signal, suitable for the Profiler, on a XLR output jack. The high-power signal is forwarded to the speaker cabinet through a different output jack.
    What is the purpose of this when the sound of the speaker will not be captured in the Profile? The purpose is to capture the amp including the complex impedance behavior of the speaker. This method captures those often discussed interactions between the power tube-amp and the connected speaker cabinet. When the Profile is played back through the Profiler’s built-in class D amp, or an external solid state power amp, it will recreate the same impedance situation to the connected speaker-cabinet. This is the key to making the built-in power-amp sound like a real tube power-amp.
    The Direct Amp Profile can later be merged with the respective cabinet portion of a Studio Profile. Alternatively, Direct Amp Profiles can be paired with arbitrary cabinet impulse-responses, imported by our CabMaker 2.0 software. The result is a complete Profile that can run a physical guitar- cabinet onstage for monitoring, and simultaneously feed the virtual guitar-speaker sound to the main PA."

• I see. Impressive stuff.

Although as you say Don

The Profiler is a professional (pre)amp.

...and yet you can get this feature on an amateur device nowadays for very very cheap. Lets not makes silly excuses now...

=p

• But why?
    You have all possible outputs.. Take the spdif for recording and that's it. I would not want another USB interface in that device, which will interfere with the other soundcard(s) for microphone etc.
    I prefer it that way.

• Honestly, I wouldn't want it as an interface and don't have a need for that aspect of it. I like being able to record other instruments through my main interface. The concept of having that is a nice luxury and no doubt useful but not all that necessary with the number of budget priced and quite decent interfaces available today.

• USB recording comment: Digital To Audio Converters are the key to audio fidelity. I want GREAT converters when record. That said, a USB audio connection at audiophile quality would cost at least an extra $1000.000 usd. I run Pro Tools HD like most folks and would rather use the DAC's I have already paid for.

Powered Rack / Windows 10

• Pre Amp recording comment:
    The way things work right now, where the entire tone of an amp is captured is in my opinion the pinnacle of speed and efficiency of tracking and tone selection when working on a record. I open Rig Manager with PT still open and have the client play along to the song while I bang through tones from the rig exchange on the fly.

Powered Rack / Windows 10