Strange noises inside my kemper!

• Listen, i want to be sure i am not misrepresenting kemper support in any way, so here is their answer inserted - i may have misunderstood what the meaning was i realize when re-reading:

Since others including myself can replicate the situation with your DI track it is obvious that your Profiler is not malfunctioning.Our engineers suspect that there are specific overtones in your guitars that cause the artefact on certain notes.You could try to compensate for that by lowering the clarity parameter in the amp section.Our engineers will look into the matter to see if there is anything from our side to improve this but i have to ask for your understanding that i cannot give you any estimation about how long it will take before they have any results.

• H

Before you reamp, do the dry guitar tracks have these harmonics? (Although, they may be too subtle to hear without some kind of amp added.)

Do you have a plugin that you can send the tracks through, to see if an amp sim also makes them happen?

Have tried both - so far without luck - I'll have to try again, more thoroughly

• Listen, i want to be sure i am not misrepresenting kemper support in any way, so here is their answer inserted - i may have misunderstood what the meaning was i realize when re-reading:

Since others including myself can replicate the situation with your DI track it is obvious that your Profiler is not malfunctioning.Our engineers suspect that there are specific overtones in your guitars that cause the artefact on certain notes.You could try to compensate for that by lowering the clarity parameter in the amp section.Our engineers will look into the matter to see if there is anything from our side to improve this but i have to ask for your understanding that i cannot give you any estimation about how long it will take before they have any results.

Now , this sounds, more logic to me. they are not telling you that it is fault of your guitars. It might be, but they don't say KPA might not be the problem as they will look into this. For sure you have not faulty KPA, as other users' KPA does the same.

• OK here you go, try this. This is DI'd straight into my Apollo into Pro Tools HD.
    The first two sections are Seymour Duncan Custom in humbucking mode, first picked then with thumb.
    The second two sections are Seymour Duncan Custom coil tapped, first picked then with thumb.
    The fifth(final section) is the humbucker, picked, but with a string dampener on the 3rd fret stopping any sympathetic vibrations.
    I hope this helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/32aj1h2il6kdcd1/Shane-DI.wav?dl=0

• OK, in an entirely lo-fi listen (using laptop speakers):

I heard the string sustain become more complex than a simple decay at fret 6, and 8+ for several frets. Adding any gain to this would add harmonic complexity to the tone and envelope shifts.

I think it comes from wood, wire, neck curve, fret height, etc.

BUT:
    1) notes of this duration are normally articulated when actually in a piece of music.(finger vibrato, etc), so this would not be heard in a recorded or live mix.
    2) individual guitars have harmonic character, resonant frequencies, etc. This is a GOOD thing. Otherwise, they would sound like a thin wire stretched across two concrete blocks.

• Yes exactly, certainly to my ears, and the feel when playing I think that the issue Michael is hearing could well be down to a combination of some or all these factors. Thats why I mentioned the strings, and why I tried a string dampener. To me I can actually feel the difference when using the dampener, even though at a simplistic level it shouldn't affect the fretted string, but to me it does, and quite a lot. Whether that it all feel or is audible I guess could well be subjective. Maybe we need to look at the capacitance and inductance of the cables ;) , but in the real world this is what makes our instrument so musical and sound so different in each players hands.

• String dampers do make a difference. So does damping the tremolo springs on a strat. Even the pickup mounting springs can have an influence. Those sympathetic vibrations bother some people more than others (I mute the trem springs, but not the other things I mentioned).

They are like fnords (the "get ready to change the reel" mark that appears in the upper right hand corner of old movies) - once you hear/see these things, you will always notice them. :)

• Even the pickup mounting springs can have an influence.

Yes. Not long ago I have to dampen pickup springs on my tele. I played some metal stuff with silence breaks at high volume and guess what... when I expected silence there was not. Only kind of rumble.

• Shane, man, you're going above and beyond. I will try reamping that DI when I get the chance.

It might be that my ears are just over-sensitized to this phenomenon, and it is nothing more than normal guitar sounds. I will say that I couldn't hear anything on earpods, but on my headphones (AKG K240 and KRK 8400), it is pretty clear.

I also find it odd that the effect is so pronounced on only some notes. As I said, I'll still be trying to figure this out. I have experienced playing before when I thought there was kind of an annoying frequency that slipped in, but thought it was down to bad technique (lack of damping). But now I think this ("alleged" ;-)) issue is what I have been hearing at those times. Also, it's not always I will have articulation (eg. vibrato) on a note on the high e string - like when doing a double stop bend, holding a note on e string and bending a note on the b string.

Thank you all for participating in my fight against my (potentially imaginary) nemesis here... I'm really glad to be part of such an awesome community.

Springs are the one thing I haven't messed with yet. How can I dampen pickup mounting springs best? (I will try to dampen the tremolo springs on my PRS Brent Mason - the tremolo is locked, but the springs are there).

• So here is the dampened part of your DI, Shane. I definitely hear the same effect on this sample.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

How many of you guys - especially who listen on "proper" headphones or studio monitors - can hear what I'm talking about?