Soon to purchase a Kemper Profiling Amp! :D

• It doesn't necessarily. Where do you get that from?
    You can either download profiles to your computer, put them on the Kemper formatted stick and import them this way into the profiler or you connect your profiler directly to your PC and use rig manager.

So there's even a 'rig manager' - but it doesn't allow editing of profile information :/ ?

Perhaps I wasn't being specific enough beforehand - editing titles/almost 'metadata' of profiles??

CURRENT:
    (FLOOR) Kemper Remote w/ Mission exp + EB VP
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• After watching a few of those profiling tutorials on thegearpageforum it seems there are different methods for profiling - for example, through an interface, straight back to the Kemper, through cabinet/mic chain, D.I. straight from the head....

I'm assuming any profile created on the 'lunchbox' head and shared on the exchange or otherwise can be uploaded/stored to the rack version (ie. complete file compatibility across the Kemper range - seems obvious but you never know...! Guessing it's just a computer file...)

Also, is there a way of editing profiles via PC/Mac rather than all the finicky editing on the small Kemper's LCD?

Does anyone have any preference as to the method they use to profile? For example, is through an interface superior to running straight back to the Kemper?

Does D.I.'ing allow greater flexibility (making the profiles almost "future-proof"?)

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Does anyone have any preference as to the method they use to profile? For example, is through an interface superior to running straight back to the Kemper?

Does D.I.'ing allow greater flexibility (making the profiles almost "future-proof"?)

You should be able to get acceptable results either way. You don't need an interface to profile, but if you run your profiling chain through some external gear or plugins, you could get a completely different sound.

With the introduction of the new profiling methodology, I hope to see more people do DI profiles, just because it opens up possibilities if pairing the Kemper with a power amp and a cabinet.

• Perhaps I wasn't being specific enough beforehand - editing titles/almost 'metadata' of profiles??

RigManager has two main applications:

Librarian - access an unlimited number of rigs from your harddrive, the Rig Exchange and your Profiler. sort and organize them, make subfolders etc.

Tag Editor
    add Information about the Profile quickly and easily with your keyboard.
    our Tags are what you call metadata.

• Does anyone have any preference as to the method they use to profile? For example, is through an interface superior to running straight back to the Kemper?

'superior' is in the ear of the listener, to (badly) paraphrase the old saying. ;)

there are talented individuals here in this forum, that made stunning profiles with just a single dynamic mic in front of a cabinet - directly plugged into the Profiler.
    Others get excellent results by using multiple mics, a mixer, preamps, external eq...
    if it sound good, it is good!
    the most important thing in the profiling process are your ears, really.

it is generally adviseable to begin with a simple setup, to get a feel for the whole process, to see how easy it really is (technically) - the challenge here are your choices: amp settings, mic placement etc.

btw. I'd be careful with hearsay/half-truths about the Profiler from other websites, this is the best place to get accurate information :)

• Does D.I.'ing allow greater flexibility (making the profiles almost "future-proof"?)

our new file format, the Merged Profile is indeed allowing the greatest flexibility.
    whenever you make a Studio Profile (the whole signal chain), you simply make an additional profile with a suitable DI box from the speaker out of your amp, with the cabinet connected through the DI box as well.
    Then you can merge the Studio and the DI profile, giving you completely accurate sounds of amp + cab & mic as well as just the amp (including the very important power amp and amp/speaker interaction).

• our new file format, the Merged Profile is indeed allowing the greatest flexibility.
    whenever you make a Studio Profile (the whole signal chain), you simply make an additional profile with a suitable DI box from the speaker out of your amp, with the cabinet connected through the DI box as well.
    Then you can merge the Studio and the DI profile, giving you completely accurate sounds of amp + cab & mic as well as just the amp (including the very important power amp and amp/speaker interaction).

Nice one! All excellent and helpful/insightful responses... What do you class as "suitable"...?

I have a Koch Loadbox LB120-ii ...with several different options for routing signals/attenuation and is of very high quality....

:)

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Also, are you able to keep the D.I. profile separate? Or can it only (must it) be merged with the "other half" of the profiled rig?

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• it's most accurate to have no attenuation from a loadbox, since this effect only mimics what's happening between speaker and power amp.
    in this case the Direct Outputs are what you need - line level, no filtering

[Blocked Image: http://www.koch-amps.com/uploads/2/4/0/4/24048927/4970652_orig.png]

you end up with two rigs:
    - the studio profile
    - the DI profile

then, you copy the cabinet portion of the studio profile and paste it into the (empty) cabinet of the DI profile.
    the 'Merge Cabinet' option appears on the second soft button, press it
    save the resulting rig as 'name_of_the_rig merged' or something similar

now you have three rigs:
    - studio
    - DI
    - merged

no need to get rid of the first two, or to overwrite them, no need to keep them, either,
    so you could just archive them on your HD

• Great! So I can infact use the loadbox for this purpose? (Using the 'Balanced DI output' in the picture you have kindly pasted there...)

My reasoning to keep them would be to use the D.I. profile(s) potentially with amp sims or cabinet I.R.'s...

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• the Balanced DI output has a speaker simulation.

You should use the Direct Out ones in the middle under the Koch logo.
    But check the manual and if needed also the manufacturer -
    what you need is a line level signal without filtering.

hth

Facepalm... Good point!

Have gone straight to the source and emailed the manufacturer!

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• What power amps are people using/recommending for use with the non-powered version (make&model / size (how many rack spaces in U) / price (in GBP) and neutrality: good/bad (if that's the correct word here - not colouring the tone....) oh and also stereo/mono optional and wattage!)?

Got a chance to pick up a non-powered one but haven't got long to act so need advice on that ASAP!

Cheers in advance!

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• What power amps are people using/recommending for use with the non-powered version (make&model / size (how many rack spaces in U) / price (in GBP) and neutrality: good/bad (if that's the correct word here - not colouring the tone....) oh and also stereo/mono optional and wattage!)?

Check the forum. There are PLENTY of threads with different recommendationsa already.

also, is it possible to download the "rig manager" software prior to purchasing??

I don't think so because you must be logged in with a registered profiler.

• Check the forum. There are PLENTY of threads with different recommendationsa already.

I don't think so because you must be logged in with a registered profiler.

Cool, could you point me to a thread? I wouldn't know where to begin looking!

ah that's a shame. Is it downloadable software once you've registered a unit?

Ta

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• You can download rig manager and download free profile packs before you get your Kemper. You just need to create an account on the main site. This can be updated to an owners account when you get your device.

• You can download rig manager and download free profile packs before you get your Kemper. You just need to create an account on the main site. This can be updated to an owners account when you get your device.

Nice one! I see it under the 'Support' section of the website...

Cheers for that!

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

Sorry for my wrong answer, I stand corrected. ;)