Quick Midi CC Question ...... Stomps On / Off vs Non-Stomps On / Off .... ?

• Hi all

Just a quick -probably simple / dumb / obvious- Midi Control Change Question.

I want to be able to use Midi to change from Rig to Rig - Program Change and also use Midi to Turn on/off the EFX - Midi Control Change Numbers

I have been offered a RFX Midi Wizard -> http://www.rolls.com/pdf/M_MP1288.pdf - according to its manual it:-

" can send up to 8 Program Changes to 8 different MIDI-linked units for each program number assigned to the pedal .... it can also send up to 8 continuous controllers can be used to very parameters directly on the receiving unit in real-time "

So ......... is sending Midi Control Change Numbers -the-same thing as- sending Midi Continuous Controllers ?

Ben

• No, it is not the same. Control change numbers are used to toggle things on and off. Continous controller cover a range from 0-127, for example to control volume via CC#7.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Hi,

I think it will work. If I'm not mistaken MIDI Control Change and Continuous Controller are just 2 different names for the same thing. A MIDI CC can send values from 0-127. When it is used to toggle an effect it generally sends 0 for one state (On or Off) and 64 (or higher) for the other state. A footswitch, like the Boss FS-7, connected to the MIDI Wizard's continuous controller inputs should work.

Brian

Thanks guys ....... damn ...... it would have been perfect if it sent Midi CC .....grrrrrrr :)

Edited 3 times, last by ba_hill ().

• This does only send PC changes via the buttons on it, but it can also send CC numbers. They may be tricky to set up, though - they will remain on an On or Off state when you change rigs. If they are retransmitted in that state when a PC is sent, your FX status will be retransmitted for each slot.

You would have to connect up to eight External switches and/or controller pedals, and assign CC numbers to them.

• No, it is not the same. Control change numbers are used to toggle things on and off. Continous controller cover a range from 0-127, for example to control volume via CC#7.

Program Change (PC) is different but Control Change and Continuous Controller (CC) ARE the same message types, just different use cases. You could use CC messages for on/off messages or for things like a volume or wah sweeping.

Regular 7bit CC can be between 0 and 127. Typically, 0 is used for OFF and everything else is considered ON (typically 1, or 127). Kemper uses 1 for ON officially, but will treat anything greater than 1 to be ON.

• Program Change (PC) is different but Control Change and Continuous Controller (CC) ARE the same message types, just different use cases. You could use CC messages for on/off messages or for things like a volume or wah sweeping.

Regular 7bit CC can be between 0 and 127. Typically, 0 is used for OFF and everything else is considered ON (typically 1, or 127). Kemper uses 1 for ON officially, but will treat anything greater than 1 to be ON.

Thanks! I knew this too but didn't wanna make things too complicated for the OP. :) Sorry if I've created some confusion.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)