OK Testing FW 3.0! [How Kemper works? All amps sound similar]?

• well, I ask another question, when you listen to one guitar sample - your choice is also A? http://www.brickwall.pl/comparison/ or maybe solo you like more D but in the mix A? :D all guitars in the mix A B C D have the same EQ only LPF HPF + C4 :D - fuck eq - you can always set more or less - more important is "character".

Stay Metal!

I would be tempted to choose D cause it comes more direct in first moment, but then i would decide to leave more room for the leads and choose A again, i think.
    IF i had chosen D, the moment of doubling guitars would make me revise my decision. We're glad reamping has been invented, aren't we :thumbup:

• That's why I do still different tests and comparison, I know it all sounds very similar, 5-10% - for some of us is not much, for others the abyss :thumbup: (ok, for me) but if I can get the 10% by using the TSE X50 - with Kemper wants to have these 3% :D I'm not talking about the "convenience to use", but I'm talking about the sound.

Stay Metal!

• I agree! As I mentioned earlier - now all sounds very similar, does not matter if it is: Amp Sim, Real Gear, Kemper, Axe, 11R etc ... IMO - Andy Sneap can made killer guitars tone and mixes with Ezmix . differences are 5-10% - but still. I've always wondered how you compare profiles sound? IMO 1 raw to 1 raw - does not work. Why? Simply test for You 4 samples 3 - Mesa DR profiles 2 commercial and 1 free + Real 6505 Please compare first 1 raw guitar track then 2 and then in the mix ok? Thats why, when I read the comments about the new profiles 10 minutes after they become available (amazing, outstanding, my top 5, brillant, killer etc...) - simply don't trust the opinions. This is my way to compare profiles - how sounds in the mix! Sooo A B C or D ? Yes its only one song one type of DI guitars - but IMO you can hear all differences in whole mix A B C OR D ? WHERE IS REAL AMP (PEAVEY 6505) SAMPLES: http://www.brickwall.pl/comparison/ Stay Metal!

I'm not familiar enough with the Peavey 6505 sound to be able to recognise it, but by deduction, B and C are Kemper Direct Amp profiles made in either 2.8 or 3.0 (NOT 3.01) and A has more similar characteristics to those two, so for me D must be the Peavey. For me personally, it would probably be A I'd choose in a mix, just because it sounds like D has too much nasally mids for my taste.

Cheers,
    Sam

• For Studio it is completely irrelevant if it's from an Amp, Kemper, VST or whatsoever. If it sounds good, it sounds good. (Gregor knows my opinion on that ;) )

But what I FELT is a difference between IR/VST, IR/Axe FX and Kemper. And that Difference was not that prominent with Kemper vs. Amp. Sometimes even the Kemper moved more air.

• I have a terrible ear and I grow more aware of it every time I sit down to do a mix. ^^

Definitely A or D is the real amp in those samples. I preferred A out of all the sounds, it had a bit more girth, while D was a bit thinner.

But put any of those tracks on a CD and I don't think there'll be a single user who'll say, "This sucks, it's not a real amp".

In that sense, a blind test would be nice if it wasn't a "blind test". Show those tracks to someone and say, "Hey man, check out my mix" and I guarantee that 99% of them will be happy with the results. Definitely good enough for my demo work, I would be happy if I had your mixing skills, sinmix! :thumbup:

• What cab were the V55 profiles made with?

still the same DL cab reamped on V30 single sm57 - but give me 20 min and then i release free update of my Packs ^ merged profiles on DL cab 2xsm57 V30 and Creamback 65 then you can try also on real cab :D

Stay Metal!

• the KPA only have two amps: clean and overdrive.

the "character" is in the cab sim

:rolleyes:

@Kosta +1 big big truth
    if someone refuses to see (hear) that then we play ball in different fields.

So what you are saying is that KPA algorithm is scanning only CAB?
    What about the odd and even harmonic distortion (in distorted rigs).
    Can we test it simply with sinusoid at input and profiling some simple Wave shaper plug in on PC?
    You are saying that will there will be no difference in spectral harmonics?
    Just asking.

• So what you are saying is that KPA algorithm is scanning only CAB?
    What about the odd and even harmonic distortion (in distorted rigs).
    Can we test it simply with sinusoid at input and profiling some simple Wave shaper plug in on PC?
    You are saying that will there will be no difference in spectral harmonics?
    Just asking.

Just do it! :D

Stay Metal!

• That sounds ultra sick. Now that you have that all miced up and ready, how about some dual profiles of that setup with both amps and cabs blended in a single profile!

It intrigues me that you say the character of the distortion is not captured by the Kemper. I imagine that might be the case without the cab being captured at the profiling stage. But even with the original profiling method? What about with additional refining, say you run that DI track through the Kemper? Or even try that Andy Sneap trick where he apparently tone matches a profile to a sound? Not too sure about the intricacies of that method, but if you can figure it out, perhaps it could have a bearing on the responsiveness of the profiles.

I've played a few profiles that I find more responsive than others, such as the famous Morgan AC20 rig. That's why I'm not sure about this theory. It would be interesting to hear the real amps that were used in these tests side by side with the same DI to determine whether they indeed would demonstrate similar behavior. Could it be something as simple as the way the character of the guitar and its pickups having a bearing?

So my guess was half correct, i.e. either A or D was the real amp. But FWIW, I still think that I found A sounds better, as it was a thicker sound, as stated before.

Of those clips, I found that six of seven were similar, but the M Britt one stood out like a sore thumb. Does not sound like the others at all. But there was indeed a common character: in that respect, I think that's again the character of the guitar that is more distinguishable than a common character of the amps.

Just my opinion, since I am unable to do these tests.

• @nightlight simple test for You :D

1. Use 1 AMP profile (direct amp profile) with maybe 10 differents cab profiles (mic,cabinets,mic pos)
    2. Then use 10 different profiles (also direct amp profiles - different amps higain, lowgain etc...) with the same cab profile.
    3. Compare the results - in which case you get more different sounds? Step 1 or step 2 ?

That sounds ultra sick. Now that you have that all miced up and ready, how about some dual profiles of that setup with both amps and cabs blended in a single profile!

Thx Man! :thumbup: but....I never use 2 times the same combination of microphones and position - I like to experiment;). Of course it is possible to do a profile of the two amps and 2 cabs and 4 microphones - Maybe in my Producer Pack II :D

Stay Metal!

Edited 2 times, last by sinmix ().